PDA

View Full Version : Jump the line and get Windows 10 right now

khan888
31-07-15, 14:39
Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on what your computer is curently running, run the software and you should be upgaded to windows 10 after a while :thumbsup:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

rossi2000
31-07-15, 14:52
is there no way to activate this yet from a fresh install?

stupid thing wants you to upgrade windows before fresh installing

unlucky me i fresh installed first.

abu baniaz
31-07-15, 14:58
Shoud be able to phone up

ArowonA
31-07-15, 14:59
Similar issue for me, I have a Windows 8 Volume license key, so no free upgrade.
If I want to update I need to install my Windows 7 Pro and then perform an upgrade, you'd think they would let you convert your Windows 7/8 Product key so you could do a fresh install without needing to upgrade first.

rossi2000
31-07-15, 15:18
yes indeed, who really wants to waste time performing an update and then a fresh install.

i dont think u can phone them up?

ArowonA
31-07-15, 15:27
My understanding is the upgrade uses a generic key and during the upgrade process they whitelist your hardware ID, so you can reinstall Windows 10 on the same hardware in the future without needing a key, I believe you do get the option of not keeping any files/settings during the update, but probably a bit late now.

You could try ringing them, they may be that busy that they just give you a key? :)

mcquaim
31-07-15, 15:33
Similar issue for me, I have a Windows 8 Volume license key, so no free upgrade.

Is there not a free upgrade to 8.1 from 8 in the Windows store and once upgraded then you can request the further upgrade to Windows 10?

ArowonA
31-07-15, 15:36
Is there not a free upgrade to 8.1 from 8 in the Windows store and once upgraded then you can request the further upgrade to Windows 10?

I meant to write 8.1, there is no free updates for VLK/Enterprise products. I wasn't expecting it to be honest, it's just I have an old Windows 7 key that I could use if I want Windows 10 but it seems like too much hassle.

mcquaim
31-07-15, 15:40
I'm tempted to upgrade an old laptop just to have a play but I just don't have the time to do a fresh install.. It does look promising though, anything would be better than Windows 8, shocking attempt at an OS :mad:

rossi2000
31-07-15, 15:52
i used the ms media creation tool, and no where on that site it mentions to upgrade first.

mcquaim
31-07-15, 15:54
i used the ms media creation tool, and no where on that site it mentions to upgrade first.

Does this completely fresh install windows wiping all data or does it just upgrade your current OS?

deleted
31-07-15, 15:55
Use the media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. To learn how to use the tool, go to the Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool page.

After clicking the link:

Note

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

rossi2000
31-07-15, 15:56
fresh install can do an upgrade i think but i took the opportunity to trash the hdd and rebuilt with 2 new partitions.

deleted
31-07-15, 15:57
Does this completely fresh install windows wiping all data or does it just upgrade your current OS?

It lets you:

1) Upgrade
2) Create install media, with which you can:
1) Upgrade
2) Install clean

Whatever you do, first UPGRADE, and make sure your Win 10 install is activated. This way Microsoft has your hardware id and you'll get auto activated next time you do a clean install.

twol
01-08-15, 08:42
Having sworn I wouldn't do it after experiences with the Windows 8 ß, I decided to go the Windows Insider route a few months ago and upgraded by live Win7 system ( 1) my main system is now Ubuntu and (2) I obviously backed up the Win7 system.
Apart from screwing up my main User account (had to create a new one as it wouldn,t run exe files any more) and a couple of other fixable funnies, it has now evolved into a faster, useable system without any issues.
Have been running the live Win10 professional build for the last few weeks and it is solid and hate to say it very good.

Rob van der Does
01-08-15, 11:29
I upgraded an old Windows 7 lappy and I must say: first impression isn't bad at all.

On an other lappy I have Windows 8.1 (which, after manipulating it a bit and using 'Classic Menu' to have a normal start menu) isn't bad either. In fact from a user point of view, it's quite similar to good old Windows 7. So I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to upgrade to 10 at all.

ronand
01-08-15, 12:57
Windows 7 works well and software works well with it. I wouldn't dream of upgrading a machine to use 8 or 10 if your business or work depends on it. Windows 7 was out a while before I migrated from XP while driver problems and issues with serial ports etc were sorted out. There is nothing "better" about windows 10 - its just different.

deleted
01-08-15, 13:56
After using Ubuntu since Microsoft came out with Windows 8, I finally switched back to Windows 10. I see no reason to not upgrade a Windows 7 machine. Everything works just as good and Windows 7 is starting to feel a bit "old" by now.

Of the 2 machines I upgraded to Windows 10, the driver support was better with Windows 10 out of the box, then it is with Windows 7/8.1. Every application I use works just as good.

I will not miss Ubuntu either, although still the most modern feeling distro to me, it is still old skool in regards to the UI. Every new release is paired with popups of something that crashed, until a month has passed and small bugs ironed out. Neither will I miss the fact that you're always the last kid in line, I'm still waiting for Google Drive... The file explorer... well... a phone has a more advanced one these days.

I know Linux can be adapted to everybodies taste and preference, but I'm not the kind of guy that likes to tweak his OS an entire day, to get started. It needs to be ready to go in under an hour after a clean install. Will have to wait and see how this will pan out with Windows 10 after a year of updates.

I will miss the Terminal however :)

I'm just talking about desktops here, on a server it's Linux all the way.

twol
01-08-15, 13:56
I upgraded an old Windows 7 lappy and I must say: first impression isn't bad at all.

On an other lappy I have Windows 8.1 (which, after manipulating it a bit and using 'Classic Menu' to have a normal start menu) isn't bad either. In fact from a user point of view, it's quite similar to good old Windows 7. So I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to upgrade to 10 at all.
Agree, my WIN10 system with some tweaks looks just like my Win7 system - just boots faster.
... but at least I know now everything installed runs and that I shouldn't have to upgrade anything or pay out for any upgrades (whatever people like Acronis think:) ) - so coupled to my Ubuntu system I should now have stable and free software systems.

kennyboy
06-08-15, 19:13
i think windows is ok got it on a partition so w7 on 1 and 10 on the other.

Joe_90
06-08-15, 21:26
I've been on the Windows 10 builds since January. Works pretty well at this stage although I've had some issues with legacy drivers all through the betas. My PC, which was running Windows 7, now boots much quicker. However, the big issue for me is the level of "snooping" Microsoft does on my PC and browsing. We all love Google as a search engine, but it is very pervasive in how it snoops on your web usage. I'm afraid MS is doing the same now, except that they have control of your operating system, so their information is much more "granular". I think I will stick with Win 7 until I do some more in-depth research before I take the "free" Windows 10. My main desktop machine (on which I have all my forum identities) is a ubuntu 15.04 build.

birdman
07-08-15, 02:41
Agree, my WIN10 system with some tweaks looks just like my Win7 system...There are tweaks which seem to be missing completely. There is no longer any way to set the background colour for an application window (there wasn't in Win8.1 either). It's now all based on Themes - which don't let you set much at all.
Also - it now wants to leave window title bars the same colour as the window background! OK if you run applications in full-screen mode all of the time (as with, say, a 'phone or tablet) but is rather useless for a desktop with a large (24"+) screen where you want to actually see multiple applications (with overlapping windows) all at the same time, and now can't visually separate them.

If only the windows could be as configurable as they are in a Linux desktop....and the annoying thing is that all of the capability is there (including the ability to have the window with the keyboard focus not at the top of the window stack). But MS just doesn't supply anything to let you use this.

twol
07-08-15, 06:40
I've been on the Windows 10 builds since January. Works pretty well at this stage although I've had some issues with legacy drivers all through the betas. My PC, which was running Windows 7, now boots much quicker. However, the big issue for me is the level of "snooping" Microsoft does on my PC and browsing. We all love Google as a search engine, but it is very pervasive in how it snoops on your web usage. I'm afraid MS is doing the same now, except that they have control of your operating system, so their information is much more "granular". I think I will stick with Win 7 until I do some more in-depth research before I take the "free" Windows 10. My main desktop machine (on which I have all my forum identities) is a ubuntu 15.04 build.

When you do the upgrade/install you have the option (in very small print) at the final boot to turn off most of the snooping

twol
07-08-15, 06:44
There are tweaks which seem to be missing completely. There is no longer any way to set the background colour for an application window (there wasn't in Win8.1 either). It's now all based on Themes - which don't let you set much at all.
Also - it now wants to leave window title bars the same colour as the window background! OK if you run applications in full-screen mode all of the time (as with, say, a 'phone or tablet) but is rather useless for a desktop with a large (24"+) screen where you want to actually see multiple applications (with overlapping windows) all at the same time, and now can't visually separate them.

If only the windows could be as configurable as they are in a Linux desktop....and the annoying thing is that all of the capability is there (including the ability to have the window with the keyboard focus not at the top of the window stack). But MS just doesn't supply anything to let you use this.

Its available just google there are a few tutorials on the WEB

Joe_90
07-08-15, 10:05
When you do the upgrade/install you have the option (in very small print) at the final boot to turn off most of the snooping

Yes - but when you're paranoid, you don't know if they REALLY have turned off the snooping :sofahide:
Now, where is my tinfoil hat...

Joe_90
07-08-15, 10:09
@birdman - if you want a bit of retro feel, you could try out classic shell. I believe it works well on Win 10.

twol
07-08-15, 10:12
Yes - but when you're paranoid, you don't know if they REALLY have turned off the snooping :sofahide:
Now that I agree with! ... Because they say they do it ...... Its a bit like Google and Samsung now saying they are going to have a monthly bug fix .... But they can,t even get the last but one firmware update onto most peoples android phones and Samsung say that mines stuck with firmware 3 generations old ... So No, I don,t believe them either.

Rob van der Does
07-08-15, 10:54
Classic shell does work well indeed.

Ev0
07-08-15, 11:42
There is loads of howto guides now showing you how to disable the snooping yourself.

But there is also a few 3rd party programs, that let you do it at the click of a button, google is your friend (assuming you have signed out, and set all the privacy settings to stop that tracking you) :D

Joe_90
07-08-15, 12:25
Yes, but why start from a position where the intention of the developer is to snoop. No such thing as free, really. Like google, you have to give up something in return for the "free" download. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-MS or anything - just this latest paradigm shift! I've played with the beta builds for months now and I find it doesn't give me a lot on the desktop environment. I may just stick with Win 7 as I use that box only rarely for stuff that doesn't run well on linux. My missus has a laptop with touch screen which is currently on Windows 8. That will definitely get the Win 10 upgrade, though as it works so much better than Win 8.

Stanman
07-08-15, 19:20
There are apps available to disable the snooping. Quite poor not yo give people the option of not removing this at install.

abu baniaz
07-08-15, 19:22
The option is there on a clean install.

The insiders did not have this option as it was a way to get "debug logs".

Stanman
07-08-15, 19:24
Just clean or upgrade?

As not given when I updatef

rossi2000
07-08-15, 19:25
clean fresh install

Rob van der Does
07-08-15, 20:42
I could disable the privacy items during the upgrade.
One needs to uncheck a tiny checkbox; then the options show.

twol
07-08-15, 20:47
I could disable the privacy items during the upgrade.
One needs to uncheck a tiny checkbox; then the options show.

Yep, as usual Rob is correct, no need for plugins although I sure you can pay for add ins. a bit like Acronis that now wants to give me an upgrade for Windows 10 when the current one works perfectly well.

birdman
08-08-15, 01:37
Just clean or upgrade?

As not given when I updatefIt was given when I did it.
Although it helps to know in advance that it will be a link in small, faint font at the bottom of a screen which tries hard to give the impression that you can only click the large option in the middle.

You can also (un)set them later via the Control Panel.

Stanman
08-08-15, 01:44
Where abouts?

birdman
08-08-15, 01:52
@birdman - if you want a bit of retro feel, you could try out classic shell. I believe it works well on Win 10.Thanks, but it's only window borders, backgrounds and titlebars that I need to fix.
I never had a problem with the lack of a Start Menu in Win8.1 - I just made a taskbar of the Programs directory (and still have it in Win10 - although the Start Menu there is much better).

Rob van der Does
08-08-15, 04:56
Thanks, but it's only window borders, backgrounds and titlebars that I need to fix.
I would indeed love to have something like the old classic windows back. In W8.1 it is already hard to see which window has focus (depending on theme/colours), and it has not improved.

birdman
08-08-15, 12:12
I would indeed love to have something like the old classic windows back. In W8.1 it is already hard to see which window has focus (depending on theme/colours), and it has not improved.I was fiddling a bit on Win10 and, at one point, I did get my active window borders to be green and inactive ones all red. Not sure what I'd done, and my next fiddle lost that functionality...
I was only having a quick play - I'll be trying in earnest soon.

What really annoys me is that it's obviously all possible underneath, but Microsoft is removing the ability from end users to configure the visual side as they wish to see it. It's my screen, why can't I set it as I wish to use it? It would appear to flout all regulations about accessibility for visual impairment.

deleted
08-08-15, 13:10
I was fiddling a bit on Win10 and, at one point, I did get my active window borders to be green and inactive ones all red. Not sure what I'd done, and my next fiddle lost that functionality...
I was only having a quick play - I'll be trying in earnest soon.

What really annoys me is that it's obviously all possible underneath, but Microsoft is removing the ability from end users to configure the visual side as they wish to see it. It's my screen, why can't I set it as I wish to use it? It would appear to flout all regulations about accessibility for visual impairment.

Dude, switch over to Linux and start customizing it until you have seen every color of pink. There's absolutely no need to put their product on your machine. Nobody is forcing you to use it either, you can buy it, get it for free or not.

I bet after a few years when you are really good at modifying your Linux setup, you can even flash your HDD light in morse code to let you know which windows are active or inactive.

Rob van der Does
13-08-15, 04:02
Although I was pleasantly surprised with Windows 10, as at first all seemed to go well, but I had a lot of systemcrashes (especially related to going to and from standby). So both my lappies are back to Win7Pro & Win8.1Home. At least the reverting went smooth and fast :)

twol
13-08-15, 06:31
Dude, switch over to Linux and start customizing it until you have seen every color of pink. There's absolutely no need to put their product on your machine. Nobody is forcing you to use it either, you can buy it, get it for free or not.

I bet after a few years when you are really good at modifying your Linux setup, you can even flash your HDD light in morse code to let you know which windows are active or inactive.
Now if only Ubuntu could manage to support USB 3.0 I would possible agree, but typically 1 step forward 2 steps backwards .. even Microsoft manages to handle device support well.
Ubuntu 12.04 OK, 14.04 sometimes, 15.04 what is USB 3.0?????

Joe_90
13-08-15, 12:51
Now if only Ubuntu could manage to support USB 3.0 I would possible agree, but typically 1 step forward 2 steps backwards .. even Microsoft manages to handle device support well.

Huh? I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 and back up weekly to an external USB 3.0 drive. 110 - 120 MB/s

twol
13-08-15, 13:36
Huh? I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 and back up weekly to an external USB 3.0 drive. 110 - 120 MB/s

Ubuntu doesn't seem to like Asus motherboard's will not pick up USB 3.0 on my desktop or laptop... dead as a brick usb 3.0 drives only works on the USB 2.0 ... seems to be a long running saga on the Ubuntu forums, where they seem to have regressed some kernel changes.
lsusb command shows it's there ... and I run a multi-boot Win10/12.04/15.05 system .... 12.04 and Win10 are quite happy with the USB 3.0 ports :)
Would welcome any ideas :confused:
Apart from that the clean 15.04 installed system seems fine and is happily build an image at the moment ...... crossed fingers.
Upgrading from 14.04 -> 14.10 > 15.04 completely screwed my desktop system, had to restore!!

Joe_90
13-08-15, 14:16
I'm using an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Socket 1155 motherboard with a core i3-3220 processor. I had 14.02 and upgraded through 14.10 and 15.04 without any real issues apart from a problem with the ethernet adapter where I had to revert to an older driver for stability.

twol
13-08-15, 15:28
I'm using an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Socket 1155 motherboard with a core i3-3220 processor. I had 14.02 and upgraded through 14.10 and 15.04 without any real issues apart from a problem with the ethernet adapter where I had to revert to an older driver for stability.
I will probabyl clean install 15.04 over my 14.04 system and see if that works better.... Fortunately the home folder is on a separate disk, so should be able to keep all the important stuff... With the laptop looks like I will just haveto force usb 2.0 mode in the bios. I learn more each day about Linux :) :confused:

deleted
13-08-15, 16:04

I don't think USB3.0 was on the top of his priority list, he seemed to be more concerned about the colors of his windows borders.

But I agree with you, if Linux likes your system, all is fine and dandy, BUT if it doesn't... oooh boy the joy you'll experience :mad:, luckily my systems don't fight too often with it.

twol
13-08-15, 20:24
But I agree with you, if Linux likes your system, all is fine and dandy, BUT if it doesn't... oooh boy the joy you'll experience :mad:, luckily my systems don't fight too often with it.

Unfortunately, I have moved my main daily apps to Ubuntu, and when you have more Usb 3.0 ports than 2.0 you would expect to use them:)

birdman
14-08-15, 02:53
Dude, switch over to Linux and start customizing it until you have seen every color of pink. There's absolutely no need to put their product on your machine. Nobody is forcing you to use it either, you can buy it, get it for free or not.No, you can't get it for free. You can get it pre-loaded onto a system. It's also not easy to get a laptop without getting Windows pre-loaded (and you'd be very hard pressed to get that cost back in the UK if you don't wish to run Windows).
However, none of that is the issue. I'm just commenting on the fact that they are removing the ability for their users to improve their visual experience (and some of what they are removing is a legal/health&safety(?) requirement for VDUs in the workplace). The underlying ability is still all there in the OS - just no way to utilize it at the user level.

deleted
14-08-15, 04:20
No, you can't get it for free. You can get it pre-loaded onto a system. It's also not easy to get a laptop without getting Windows pre-loaded (and you'd be very hard pressed to get that cost back in the UK if you don't wish to run Windows).
However, none of that is the issue. I'm just commenting on the fact that they are removing the ability for their users to improve their visual experience (and some of what they are removing is a legal/health&safety(?) requirement for VDUs in the workplace). The underlying ability is still all there in the OS - just no way to utilize it at the user level.

You can upgrade for free from Win7 and Win 8.1, but it seems you missed the point or at the very least forgot to read the part about Linux. Health/Safety?? Really? Yes upgrading to Win10 can make you blind or cause hairloss, it says so on the box. :thumbsup:

twol
14-08-15, 07:19
When it comes down to it Windows or Linux derivatives, if you really want you can tinker with all of them to change their appearance - it depend on how far you want to go.
In terms of reliability and user friendly, I would hate to recommend either to a complete newbee (if that's possible even today) as Ocram says you need a sense of humour with both systems!...... now Ipad, that's user friendly!! :)

twol
16-08-15, 17:45
So PC, multiboot win10, ubuntu 14.04, ubuntu 15.04 ... Usb3 works on win10.
Upgraded 14.04 -> 15.04 ...... USB3 now works on win10 and upgraded to 15.04 not clean flash 15.04 ..... beat that!
.. But laptop usb3 still dead as a dodo on 15.04, even just installed latest LTS kernel 4.1.5 and no go.....but changed error messsages..... Must be a step forward? .... But 12.04 works fine!
Oh Linux!

Joe_90
16-08-15, 22:15
Oh Linux!

Ya gotta love it :lol3:

Alec
16-08-15, 23:30
Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on what your computer is curently running, run the software and you should be upgaded to windows 10 after a while :thumbsup:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I have upgraded to Win 10 on some computers, and I had problems with Tuneup afterwards. Some programs it seems, it would be wise like Tuneup to uninstall, before upgrading, and then install them again.

twol
19-08-15, 16:30
Thanks, but it's only window borders, backgrounds and titlebars that I need to fix.
I never had a problem with the lack of a Start Menu in Win8.1 - I just made a taskbar of the Programs directory (and still have it in Win10 - although the Start Menu there is much better).

Well they listened! The latest preview build 10525 (today) provides this facility. You just have to enable and off you go.

Rob van der Does
19-08-15, 16:41
Let's hope they will commit this to W8.1 as well.

birdman
20-08-15, 01:45
Well they listened! The latest preview build 10525 (today) provides this facility. You just have to enable and off you go.I noticed that this was in the Preview. I don't run them, so hope it will migrate to an update - soon.
Now they just need to fix the idiotic inability to mark an Ethernet connexion as metered (since a tethered mobile 'phone shows up as an Ethernet connexion - so Windows10 may decide to download a few hundred MB of update using it).

twol
20-08-15, 09:44
This preview was (apparently) lacking most language support, so promised another update soon ... so guess we are looking at least 10 days before its sent to the mass update list ... assuming there are no problems. It was also a complete Win 10 upgrade and the Insider Review watermark (bottom right) has reappeared.

edevs
20-08-15, 10:23
can i use vlc media player to stream from box to laptop after upgrade as windows media player is discontinued?