PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Hub 5

robsunited
29-07-15, 16:03
Considering upgrading broadband to bt infinity (home hub 5). Has anyone any experience of using this with Ccam 2.3.0? Any insight appreciated guys. Thanks.

ps. I've tried searching to find an answer prior to posting.

Dark Cloud
29-07-15, 16:07
I have one,.........no problems with any cams or boxes.
I am also using the old Hub3 as a slave at the rear of the house to connect to another smart telly (wired) and extend wi-fi in the garden.
_http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

robsunited
29-07-15, 16:26
Just what I wanted to hear Dark Cloud. Many thanks.

Larry-G
29-07-15, 16:59
No issues here with BT Infinity using a hub 5 with any of my boxes.

robsunited
29-07-15, 17:51
Infinity and Hub 5 it is then. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

robsunited
10-08-15, 18:44
Thanks again guys. All up and running with Infinity. Working a treat :thumbsup:

robsunited
13-08-15, 10:40
Ftp'ing into the box is a nightmare. Since changing to the Hub 5 Filezilla takes an age to connect to the box. File transfers that used to take in the region of a half hour are now taking 2-4 hours to complete. Should have stayed with 'ordinary' broadband. Speed tests show I'm getting above BT's predicted upload and download speeds but on transferring with Filezilla the upload speed drops to around 60kib/s. Very disappointed in this part of things.

nirmies
13-08-15, 11:00
I use filezilla with hh5. No problems here with ftp speeds. I admit I have not transferred any huge files but will try later and see if there is a difference.

Larry-G
13-08-15, 11:11
Ftp'ing into the box is a nightmare. Since changing to the Hub 5 Filezilla takes an age to connect to the box. File transfers that used to take in the region of a half hour are now taking 2-4 hours to complete. Should have stayed with 'ordinary' broadband. Speed tests show I'm getting above BT's predicted upload and download speeds but on transferring with Filezilla the upload speed drops to around 60kib/s. Very disappointed in this part of things.

Unless your ftp'ing from outside of your network your broadband speed has nothing what so ever to do with the FTP speed you receive between your PC / laptop and receiver. I use a hh5 with FlashFXP 5 with no issues at all.

Mr. Mister
13-08-15, 11:14
I also have hub5.. and filezilla is crap..

Try WinSCP .. Its much much better than filezilla.. and way faster..

robsunited
13-08-15, 11:16
Unless your ftp'ing from outside of your network your broadband speed has nothing what so ever to do with the FTP speed you receive between your PC / laptop and receiver. I use a hh5 with FlashFXP 5 with no issues at all.

That actually puts my mind at ease. I wasn't aware of this. Thank you so much for the info. At least I now know I've been blaming the HH5 in the wrong.

Larry-G
13-08-15, 11:18
Or buy a life time licence for FlashFXP, I bought one nearly 15 years ago for hacking the original Xbox and it has never let me down.

robsunited
13-08-15, 11:18
I also have hub5.. and filezilla is crap..

Try WinSCP .. Its much much better than filezilla.. and way faster..

Certainly will look into that later. You guys have given me new avenues to explore.

Andy_Hazza
14-08-15, 07:15
No problems using DCC, Filezilla and other ftp programs while connected using my BT Home Hub 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robsunited
14-08-15, 09:13
Seriously considering buying a different model to replace the 5. Since getting Infinity on Monday morning it has rebooted 4 times that I'm aware of, (and possibly some I'm not), albeit the reboot process takes only around 20 seconds to get up me online again. Becoming a right royal pain in the derriere. Line speeds are good but it doesn't want to stay on all the time.

Andy_Hazza
14-08-15, 09:51
No such issues here. Go onto MyBT login page n see if there are any reported issues.
Problem you have with getting another router is obtaining the info to put in the new router as the BT Home Hub 5 comes with your details preinstalled. I can remember my brother ringing his ISP up and they refused to give him the necessary details, dunno what it's like nowadays but just thought I'd mention that.
Or chat to someone at BT and explain your issues you are experiencing, they are pretty good (customer service) from my understanding. [emoji106]🏼

stevesom
14-08-15, 09:54
Dont they keep testing the line for 10 days iicrc after installation mine was the same i notice mine is off and on like a prostitutes knickers in wet weather and slows down awful. Mine went off last night and yesterday morning prior to this it was up for 3 days.

djz46
14-08-15, 10:12
stevessom is right they will test the line for up to 14 days so give it chance to settle down usually only lasts a week.

Whenever they upgrade a line they do this. Also test your speed in two weeks time it will be less than it is now lol don't worry it doesn't drop that much!

robsunited
14-08-15, 10:46
stevessom is right they will test the line for up to 14 days so give it chance to settle down usually only lasts a week.

Whenever they upgrade a line they do this. Also test your speed in two weeks time it will be less than it is now lol don't worry it doesn't drop that much!

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. All taken on board. Patience was never my strong point, just ask the wife :D

Mr. Mister
14-08-15, 11:11
You could also change you channel settings..

Its always set to default when new outa the box..

You have channels 1 to 13.. but only use 1 to 11.. as 12 and 13 are reserved for the 5Ghz connection.. IIRC..

ArowonA
14-08-15, 11:37
Problem you have with getting another router is obtaining the info to put in the new router as the BT Home Hub 5 comes with your details preinstalled. I can remember my brother ringing his ISP up and they refused to give him the necessary details, dunno what it's like nowadays but just thought I'd mention that.

BT seem OK about you using another router see
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/644/~/how-do-i-configure-my-non-bt-router-to-work-with-bt-broadband Sky on the other hand :) (unless they have changed recently)

Andy_Hazza
14-08-15, 13:18
BT seem OK about you using another router see
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/644/~/how-do-i-configure-my-non-bt-router-to-work-with-bt-broadband Sky on the other hand :) (unless they have changed recently)

lol, yeah my Brother was with sky n they wouldn't give him any info at all. He ended up cancelling and moving to another ISP.

stevesom
14-08-15, 14:36
Another thing you can do is knock smart wizard off (settings -smart setup). Also syncing with 5ghz slows it down i now have a different ssid for 5ghz and sync with 2.4ghz is set to off, so 5ghz ssid is BTHub5-Jxxx5ghz and 2.4ghz is BTHub5-Jxxx for a better wireless connection.

robsunited
14-08-15, 16:30
Hi stevesom. Have smart setup off and already had made SSID changes. I've now turned 5ghz off. There were only two devices on 5ghz anyway and I'm leaning towards getting powerlines for both of them. Up 9hrs at the mo so just have to see how we get on later today / tonight.

Stanman
14-08-15, 16:44
Changing the router may help.

I had same issues Mon a ISP provided router, it kept dropping sync and blamed phone line. Switched to a netgear and never had same issues.

tomthebomb1968
14-08-15, 23:00
I gave up on my hh5. Port forwarding was a mare. Hh5 said they were open when they were not. Loads of posts on various forums about it. Doesn't seem to affect all of them but bt don't seem to be able to fix it. Bought an Asus RT-AC66U and what a difference. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

judge
14-08-15, 23:53
Bought an Asus RT-AC66U and what a difference. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit.
Except you now have loads of open ports on your Asus RT-AC66U, just waiting to be hacked.

robsunited
15-08-15, 00:12
I see this TP-LINK TD-W9980 recommended. Any thoughts if anyone has any experience of them?

tomthebomb1968
15-08-15, 00:18
I know why some are open but I think my synology nas is hijacking my router at times and configuring it. Dunno how to stop it. Any help welcome

judge
15-08-15, 00:21
I know why some are open but I think my synology nas is hijacking my router at times and configuring it. Dunno how to stop it. Any help welcome

I'd doubt anything on your local network could hack your router, that's where you need to be closing ports and fast.

tomthebomb1968
15-08-15, 00:24
The synology definitely is opening ports, it only started after it auto updated to latest firmware.

Just closed 18 it opened

robsunited
19-08-15, 16:01

Having had the SE connected wirelessly I decided today to go down the route of using powerlines. WOW!!!!! Lightning fast uploads and a much speedier box overall. Oh what I've been missing :amen:

ArowonA
19-08-15, 17:02
The synology definitely is opening ports, it only started after it auto updated to latest firmware.

Just closed 18 it opened

If something is opening ports it is probably because you have UPnP enabled, it's safer to turn it off and just forward what you want.

Edit: Just been looking and it looks like synology use something that automatically configures your router for you if it's supported, maybe the latest update added support for your router? it's called EZ-Internet i would definitely look to disable it.

B_parry
01-03-16, 21:37
I've just had bt infinity installed and I've got to use the new home hub 5 can somebody pls tell me how to set it up for my vu+ duo as I've forgotten. Thank you