PDA

View Full Version : which amp would be suitable? looking for suggestions?

s1m0nw
28-07-15, 19:10
Hey guys

Looking for some advice.... I am looking into ceiling speakers for my mate as he wants this as his surround sound. So my idea is he needs an amp to connect telly to speakers. Also I am going to purchase a Mutant 2400 for him so he can move existing box into his bedroom.

So what the best solution?

Thanks

Sicilian
30-07-15, 07:24
I'm a big fan of Yamaha amps, checkout Richer Sounds, they normally have some great deals.

rossi2000
30-07-15, 09:31
+1 yammy amps are solid.

skippie
30-07-15, 09:55
Got a Denon 1912, lovely warm powerful sound. Next one will be Denon also.

Trial
30-07-15, 10:11
Hi,
ten answers ten companies:-)

I had a Denon 3805 but it was to weak. I love my Onkyo 905 with a separate Rotel Amp now. In my home cinema/HiFi boards Marantz is also high in the ranking. Yamaha is very popular for home cinema because of the good DSP programs.

ciao

twol
30-07-15, 11:08
.-.. and the 11th!

I have used Onkyo for a long time and they have been pretty solid.
Latest (for me) is a TX-NR626 in my lounge which is controlled via its internet connection - means it can sit behind closed doors with all the other gear (pleases the wife) and still be controlled. :)

Joe_90
30-07-15, 17:03
I have an Onkyo TX-SR875. Great amp (for its age!), but I couldn't put it in a closed cabinet as it would melt everything in it :mad: Super sound, but runs a little(!) hot.

Trial
30-07-15, 18:32
Hi fat-tony,
you must see it another way. You need less heating in winter:-)

My 905 is the big brother of yours and they use the good old analogue technique. My power supply can take up to 1KW.

ciao

adm
30-07-15, 18:34
I have an Onkyo TX-SR875. Great amp (for its age!), but I couldn't put it in a closed cabinet as it would melt everything in it :mad: Super sound, but runs a little(!) hot.

My Onkyo manual suggested 8 inches of free air above the box. Yes it does run that hot and cannot be used in a stack of equipment.

s1m0nw
30-07-15, 19:11
Thanks for all the suggestions... now for the daft question how would you link the sat box with amp?

Would you use the hdmi sockets on the back of amp?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
30-07-15, 20:16
Yes basically, no if you need different advanced settings for each input on your TV, then you would use optical.
Ps my last 2 amps have been Yamaha.

s1m0nw
31-07-15, 08:43
Is there optical connection on the amps any one where i have seen pictures of the back, i havent seen or noticed a bit for optical connection.

twol
31-07-15, 09:55
My Onkyo manual suggested 8 inches of free air above the box. Yes it does run that hot and cannot be used in a stack of equipment.

Yep, not sure if my manual says that, but they are hot beasts, which is why the lounge units have temperature controlled fans to draw air through the units - German technology again!:)
Although during the last weeks with temperatures upto 37C, I have been opening the cabinet doors:)

twol
31-07-15, 09:58
Is there optical connection on the amps any one where i have seen pictures of the back, i havent seen or noticed a bit for optical connection.

Yep, my newer lounge Onkyo has 1 optical, whereas the older has 2 optical ... Onkyo obviously don,t see a big need. I use hdmi where ever possible, but have some optical inputs

Trial
31-07-15, 10:32
Hi,
if you need optical or coaxial SP/DIF you must inform yourself before buying. These old inputs are more and more replaced by an increasing number of HDMI inputs. My old beast still had 3 coaxial and 2 optical inputs but "only" 5 HDMI. Nowadays 6 or more HDMI inputs is normal.

ciao

Joe_90
31-07-15, 13:28
Yes, I would suggest you do your homework carefully as regards need for optical/coax S/PDIF connections. My seven year old Onkyo has three optical and three coax S/PDIF connectors but also only three HDMI in connectors. The HDMI out connector to the TV does not support HDMI ARC which is a newer facility where a "smart" TV can output audio back to the amplifier. As an example, my plasma TV had a hardware failure a couple of months ago which was too expensive to repair, so I replaced it with a new TV with built-in internet connectivity which support Netflix etc. Because my amp does not support ARC, I couldn't use the HDMI connection for the return audio channel. I ended up using an optical to coax converter because the only cable I had available was a coax buried in the wall behind the TV.
So, plenty of HDMI inputs/outputs, preferably supporting the latest HDMI standards including ARC. Optical or coax S/PDIF as required, but these won't support high-resolution audio - just compressed Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 or maybe 96kHz stereo PCM. HDMI supports all the high-end audio and video standards.

DaMacFunkin
31-07-15, 14:18
Ps though your sat box won't be transferring HD audio so not that much of a worry regarding optical.

s1m0nw
31-07-15, 21:11
My idea was to use the optical from tv to amp with the speakers connected to amp obviously.

cactikid
31-07-15, 23:08
i also have the onkyo tx-sr875 and doubt very much if ceiling speakers are the way to go,my bad boys are the klipsch synergy range,2 floor standing,2 rear,2midway centre and 12" sub.
for the power of these amps may shake the ceiling to bits.
running cables can be a pain as they are heavy.
satellite speakers by wifi?

twol
01-08-15, 08:48
i also have the onkyo tx-sr875 and doubt very much if ceiling speakers are the way to go,my bad boys are the klipsch synergy range,2 floor standing,2 rear,2midway centre and 12" sub.
for the power of these amps may shake the ceiling to bits.
running cables can be a pain as they are heavy.
satellite speakers by wifi?

I use the Kef wifi speaker extender (forgotten what they call it) for my rear speakers, so provides cable less speakers that can be placed anywhere.
They are in an area suurounded by other wifi boxes (including 2 wifi routers) that could cause interference but apart from the very occasional "blip" they run perfectly.