PDA

View Full Version : Xtrend ET10000 or VU+Duo2

George Kildare
26-07-15, 12:42
I am not sure if this is the correct place in the forum for this?

I am in the market for a new box and would appreciate advice. The new box will replace both a Humax cable box (Ziggo) and an old Humax Foxsat Freesat box. The ability to make “favourite” lists that include both cable and satellite channels is a big attraction. I have never had an Enigma box before Although I am not very familiar with Linux, I am computer literate. Presently I am hesitating between a VU+Duo2 and an Xtrend ET10000. I’ve looked at the relevant threads, but I am not sure how they relate to my needs.

I have several wishes:

1. the ability to make favorite lists (and 7-day epgs) with a combination of the( Dutch Ziggo) cable and freesat satellite channels and maybe also some internet streaming channels
2. an epg with the ability to “series” record
3. the ability to access favourite lists easily from the remote (preferably with 1 keystroke). I will map keystrokes from the remote onto my URC MX-500 learning remote. This only has a limited number of macros.
4. Ease of use.

I am leaning towards the Xtrend, because it has 4 slots for receivers (desirable but not essential). Although, the Vu+ can only take 3 receivers, it seems to have a larger user base and definitely has a more comprehensive manual (already downloaded).

My questions are:
1. Which box should I purchase? Besides the number of receiver slots, is there a difference between either of the boxes that is relevant to my wishes, e.g. relevant remote keys that can be mapped)?
2. Independent of the box I get, presumably I will need to download several add-ons to achieve Wishes 1 and 2. Will crossepg and some of the autobouquet downloads be sufficient or are there others that I should use?
3. Is my choice of “skin” important and relevant to any of my 4 wishes? As a newbie I find this part of the enigma “scene” rather confusing.
4. I have dual boot Mac/ Windows computers. Is there a preference between OSX or Windows software for adjusting the enigma boxes.

Sorry for my ignorance. Help would be appreciated greatly.

cactikid
26-07-15, 12:55
i am going for the et 10000 as i like twin cable and twin sat tuners+ a bigger internal hdd.
addons are got from the download plugins via remote.
crossepg works on sat and i prefare to store to my usb stick instead.
i believe epg refresh is used also in uk??
autobouquetmaker can setup your favourites if needed.
never bothered with skins or picons as you can/could setup at a later date when more confident.
think windows usage for boxes?

casuk
26-07-15, 13:06
Ill second the et10000

stevesom
26-07-15, 14:20
Just bought an xtrend et10000 quad really happy so far replaced my vu duo. Was seriously thinking of the duo 2 but for the same price as a single tuner duo 2 i could have a quad et10000 and roughly same spec it was a no brainer for me

George Kildare
26-07-15, 18:57
Very many thanks for the replies so far.

Could someone tell me how easy is it to access lists of favourite channels from the remote and switch between different lists on the Xtrend? Will it be possible to do this with a single keystroke from the Xtrend remote control or is there an add-on that will enable me to modify the remote to do this? I eventually want to transfer the relevant keystroke to my URC MX-500 "learning" remote control.

twol
26-07-15, 19:26
Very many thanks for the replies so far.

Could someone tell me how easy is it to access lists of favourite channels from the remote and switch between different lists on the Xtrend? Will it be possible to do this with a single keystroke from the Xtrend remote control or is there an add-on that will enable me to modify the remote to do this? I eventually want to transfer the relevant keystroke to my URC MX-500 "learning" remote control.
It depends :)
There are 2 ABM plugins that provide bouquets (favourites) for the normal European TV providers.
But if you want to be more user orientated, then you need to use DBE which runs better under Windows but can run under linux. DBE allows you to set up your own Bouquets containing specific TV channels.
Once you have the bouquets it is really easy to switch between the different bouquets. On the Xtrend push the TV button (bottom left on the remote) choose bouquet and you are away.

Ev0
26-07-15, 19:52
Both boxes will give you the option of twin sat and twin cable/terrestrial (or quad sat / quad cable).

Both use pretty much the same cpu, both have the same ram, both have good support.

The only real differences are 1 has 2 displays (lcd & vfd) and the other has hdmi in and out.

So really it all comes down to which 1 do you think looks the best and which do you think has the better looking remote control ?

cactikid
26-07-15, 20:56
i just prefare looking at tv and a remote that works.:confused:

nsw9154
26-07-15, 21:26
i have both the Duo2 and the ET10000 both are excellent receivers, but i prefer the ET10x because of it's 4 separate tuner slots plus i think the ET10x has a better remote control

cactikid
26-07-15, 23:00
i take it that the et 10 is black only:thumbsup:

twol
27-07-15, 08:20
i take it that the et 10 is black only:thumbsup:

Well.... No:)

hardy1976
27-07-15, 11:42
i have both the Duo2 and the ET10000 both are excellent receivers, but i prefer the ET10x because of it's 4 separate tuner slots plus i think the ET10x has a better remote control

How does the Xtrend remote compare to the Vu one in terms of quality?

George Kildare
27-07-15, 18:23
Very many thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated. I will be away for 3 weeks and have ordered an Xtrend 10000 for when I return.

Andy_Hazza
27-07-15, 19:58
How does the Xtrend remote compare to the Vu one in terms of quality?

The universal Vu+ remote pisses all over the Xtrend remote imo. Vu+ remotes are quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicilian
27-07-15, 20:07
The universal Vu+ remote pisses all over the Xtrend remote imo. Vu+ remotes are quality.

Personally I think the et8k/10k remote pisses all over the vu remote lol! Nice clean layout, universal, dedicated info button that vu remotes lacks :)

Andy_Hazza
27-07-15, 20:11
[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]. You canna be serious Boss!! lol. The remote is nice.....ish, it's just not Vu+, you know me I just like the quality of the Vu+ universal remote, not the crappy Duo2 remote!! [emoji4]

mobileman
27-07-15, 23:29
Duo2 here with my Logitech harmony touch surely that's the winner [emoji16]

George Kildare
28-07-15, 17:17
Very many thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. I am going away for 3 weeks and have ordered an Xtrend 10000 to be ready on my return.

stevesom
28-07-15, 19:22
Very many thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. I am going away for 3 weeks and have ordered an Xtrend 10000 to be ready on my return.

You wont be sorry i like the remote over the duo cant speak for the duo 2, i ordered the et10000 off the forum sponser, if i can give you any advice do the same its not worth shopping around.:thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
28-07-15, 20:38
......dedicated info button that vu remotes lacks.
That is indeed a big lacuna of all VU's.

George Kildare
29-07-15, 11:47
Very many thanks for the advice everybody. Much appreciated. I have ordered a Xtrend ET10000 to be delivered when I get home in 3 weeks time.

tappari
30-07-15, 11:10
Coming back to this issue as ET10000 and Duo2 owner. I`m in terrestrial network having 4x Si2169 C/T2 tuners plus one Sundtek usb tuner in my ET10000.
My Duo2 has 2x dual C/T2 TT3L10 tuners plus 2x Sundtek tuners.
ET10000 gives sometimes message tuning failed when recording channels and tuners should still be available. Duo2 never does this.
My conclusion is, that the drivers Xtrend supplies for their ET10000 box are faulty, but for some reason they cannot fix those.
Kind of a pity since box is otherwise quite nice.
Image should not be the reason between behavior of the boxes since both run Hades 018.

twol
30-07-15, 11:59
Coming back to this issue as ET10000 and Duo2 owner. I`m in terrestrial network having 4x Si2169 C/T2 tuners plus one Sundtek usb tuner in my ET10000.
My Duo2 has 2x dual C/T2 TT3L10 tuners plus 2x Sundtek tuners.
ET10000 gives sometimes message tuning failed when recording channels and tuners should still be available. Duo2 never does this.
My conclusion is, that the drivers Xtrend supplies for their ET10000 box are faulty, but for some reason they cannot fix those.
Kind of a pity since box is otherwise quite nice.
Image should not be the reason between behavior of the boxes since both run Hades 018.
You have to be careful with what is in the 4th slot - see restrictions in the ET10000 manual - not sure if you are falling into that issue :)

Sicilian
30-07-15, 12:31

Never had this with latest revision of Samsung tuner on ET10K.

twol
30-07-15, 12:37
Never had this with latest revision of Samsung tuner on ET10K.

Could be ... when was the last revision that you are aware? It's interesting because I had 2 revisions on my ET8000/ET10000 tuners..... but that's over 12 months ago.

Sicilian
30-07-15, 12:39
Could be ... when was the last revision that you are aware? It's interesting because I had 2 revisions on my ET8000/ET10000 tuners..... but that's over 12 months ago.

106A, manufactured 2015/04.

ccs
30-07-15, 18:01
106A, manufactured 2015/04.Is that info only on the card, or can it be found via VIX or telnet?

Sicilian
30-07-15, 18:53
Is that info only on the card, or can it be found via VIX or telnet?

Outer box packging of the tuner. Not got access to actual tuner right now.

Stanman
30-07-15, 18:53
On the box circuit board.

All new purchases will be latest build

ccs
30-07-15, 19:10
Thanks, for the replies.

The WOS delivery for an ET10000 with 4 DVB-C/T/T2 tuners included 3 empty circuit board boxes - 2 were 106A, one was for a Sat card, and one was missing.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure I've seen the "tuning failed" error when there was no reason for it to happen.
I had a few test recordings on the go when I selected bbc2 to view (via the epg), when bbc1 was recording.

Rob van der Does
30-07-15, 21:28
'Tune failed' can also be caused by any part of the feed (dish-alignment/LNB/switch/connectors).