PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Communicate

satmanbasil
03-05-10, 04:16
Hi mates

Can anyone help...on changing upgrading my image today the box seems to be playing up. i first noticed trying to ftp it seemed very sluggish starting to upload to box files then hanging. Thought it cud be the image so tryed another with the same results, have now tryed original hdf vti latest and 0.8 and dreamelite.
on the back i have green light and flashing amber and when i did a network test it says lan ok dchp not (because i disabled) on other images the ip was ok but not on dreamelite and gateway ok yet when i tryed on all images to download plugings they couldnt connect not sure if all image sites are down.
Even telnet the box is slow and seems to be hanging or stalls, so any suggestions on what to do, my next option to try is to null modem the vu+ with my pc but im sure that wont resolve the problem as the images are loading im thinking the modem is shot, also noticed that when i move the box off the shelf the picture dies then comes back on i first thought it was me touching the front button but i made sure i wasnt and it still did it.
Could be a naff box ?

regards
satmanbasil

Sicilian
03-05-10, 06:18
First remove any remnants from the multi-boot you had from wherever it was installed, usb/hdd.

Then flash with latest original firmware using usb method. Then test communication.

Is that doesn't cure the problem I would format the usb or hdd whereever the multiboot was installed.

If still not cured try the VuUtility and flash over serial port with .nfi image.

satmanbasil
03-05-10, 14:46
Hi m8

After many years of fault finding with satellite receivers and a couple of hours sleep I managed to find the problem so thought i would share in the knowledge file for those who in future may have the same problem.

It was infact a combination of two things that gave the problem... First being when i setup the network details and restarted network connection I did an ordinary restart when infact I should have powered down the receiver and restart this inturn found the network and IP problems..... The other one was more harder to find at first but it seemed my ethernet connection plug to the receiver was loose it came to light after trying the vu+ on the cable which my dreambox uses and everything worked fine so i reconnected to its normal site and again it failed so i gave it another push and restarted the box and everything is now fine Phew !!!!!!!!
Will have to put a new plug on me thinks lmao.... anyway thought i would share this incase sometime down the line one of you have the same problem or more likely serve as a reminder to myself if it happens again lmao

regards
satmanbasil

Ojustaboo
20-06-10, 17:14
Hi m8

After many years of fault finding with satellite receivers and a couple of hours sleep I managed to find the problem so thought i would share in the knowledge file for those who in future may have the same problem.

It was infact a combination of two things that gave the problem... First being when i setup the network details and restarted network connection I did an ordinary restart when infact I should have powered down the receiver and restart this inturn found the network and IP problems..... The other one was more harder to find at first but it seemed my ethernet connection plug to the receiver was loose it came to light after trying the vu+ on the cable which my dreambox uses and everything worked fine so i reconnected to its normal site and again it failed so i gave it another push and restarted the box and everything is now fine Phew !!!!!!!!
Will have to put a new plug on me thinks lmao.... anyway thought i would share this incase sometime down the line one of you have the same problem or more likely serve as a reminder to myself if it happens again lmao

regards
satmanbasil

Interesting.

I've just emailed the company that supplied me with my VUduo (not this sites sponsor unless they also operate a similar company under a different name, 20 miles away from them also in Leicester)

Hi, love the box but sadly it's got a dodgy Ethernet port. Spent ages trying to work out why sometimes the net worked and sometimes it didn't.

Turned out if I wiggled the cable (pulled it up) it worked. Tried 4 different cables, 3 different brands, does the same with all of them. Two USB ports underneath work fine. Pins in socket look fine.

Was going to put up with it as by simply routing the cable in a way it pulled very slightly up, it worked, but is now getting worse by the day.

I put it down to bad luck. trouble is, going by their web site, they don't have any in stock at present :(

pooface
20-06-10, 21:48
Either this is just how things are with this box, or we are all being unlucky.

I also bought mine from the shop you're talking about Ojustaboo, so is it them who got a dodgy batch, all a dodgy batch, or all just like this, so a feature of the box?!

But yeah, if you don't push the cable right up to the furthest it will go, then it won't get a good connection.

Haven't had to move the box for a while now, so not had any problems. But would be interested to know if this is a thing which is common to all boxes, or just these few examples?!

Retired member
20-06-10, 22:11
We've sold maybe 150 or so of the DUO now since January to end users, we've had them from several different sources and I can honestly say I've never had a single one back for this or even anyone contact us about it, also use one myself and never noticed any problems.... Infact we've only ever had 2 back, one of which was never faulty, think the guy just decided he didn't want it for some reason but didn't want to say so and the other 'faulty' one is the exact one I've got running here now no problems ever found so far.

Ojustaboo
20-06-10, 22:18
We've sold maybe 150 or so of the DUO now since January to end users, we've had them from several different sources and I can honestly say I've never had a single one back for this or even anyone contact us about it, also use one myself and never noticed any problems.... Infact we've only ever had 2 back, one of which was never faulty, think the guy just decided he didn't want it for some reason but didn't want to say so and the other 'faulty' one is the exact one I've got running here now no problems ever found so far.

Thanks, was tempted to try wedging a bit of card in the plug to try and make it connect better, but if it's not a common problem, think I'll send it back for a replacement, it's getting quite annoying now.

pooface
21-06-10, 09:25

Thanks for replying...

If you can just do a test for me... Shutdown the duo, and power off. Unplug the network connection. Then, plug it back in, but pull it out (without depressing the little bit on the cable), so that it will go as far as it can without actually being unplugged. Hopef you understand this?!

Then, restart the duo, wait for it to load, and do a network test. If it's like the problem I've encountered, it will fail. Then, if you push the network connectory back in so it's snug as far as it will go, wait about 20 seconds, and then do the network test again, it should work...

Retired member
21-06-10, 10:36
I can't really unplug the DUO right now because it's in use, as you can imagine I am constantly plugging in and unplugging lan cables here to various receivers (and as it happens network cables in general I do a lot of work with VoIP telephones and PBXs) and so I know exactly what you're describing, I've come across it loads of times on loads of makes of models of all different things, also found the ethernet cables that have the plastic/rubber type covers are the worst for this, because you think you've plugged it all the way in but you've not, quite, and that makes all the difference.... My honest thoughts are the there is no fault either with the VU+ or the cables as such, just make sure one connects well with the other but I've found the same problems over the past few years on many makes and models, you can't really blame either the receiver or the cable, it's just one of those things.

pooface
21-06-10, 12:49
Cheers for that. Would still like you to try it though. As I have never really had any circumstances where there is as much play between the lan cable and the lan connection on the vu. Even where there has been a bit of play, it's never stopped the connection from making a connection.

By the fact that others have reported the same problems, I would assume that it is just a normal part of the machine. Only reason why I had noticed it to begin with, was that when setting it up and trying different images, was moving usb sticks about and stuff, and sometimes I had no network. Now that not having to move, the network cable is not being moved!

Ojustaboo
21-06-10, 12:55
Sent my box back today (£22 insured postage argh). Started off exactly as pooface described. But over the last few days had got a lot worse.

Think in my case it's something to do with how well it's soldered onto the board etc, because if it goes off, you can wiggle it around for ages and nothing happens, you then put a little upward force on it and it springs back into life. put downward force on it and it permanently goes off again.

Only trouble is my supplier is out of stock. If they don't have news of when stock is coming in, will have to get a refund then order from this sites sponsors.

Retired member
21-06-10, 18:56
Yes send it back Ojustaboo.... ;) If and when I am able to unplug the one I use here I will have a play around but honestly I'm sure it's not a receiver issue, I've played with that many different LAN cables and connections over the years and different bits of kit, it's really down to how they are and one of those things.... 150ish receivers sold since January and only 3 or 4 people reporting the problem kind of confirms it for me, I had this exact same problem only last week with a Humax Freesat receiver I was messing about on iPlayer with, was the exact same issue but infact using a same cable thats been used on the DUO many a time and never caused any issue, so same cable that I know works on one just didnt work quite right on another (it did if I held it in), but nothing was actually faulty, perhaps its down to how the 'hole' is on the network connection and the plug on the ethernet cable, some just not made quite the right size/shape for another. :)

pooface
21-06-10, 20:03
Well, using about 3 different cables on the receiver which all give the same, and one which was used in old dm800 perfectly fine, makes me think it is something to do with the vu duo (maybe just this one, who knows?!)

Retired member
21-06-10, 20:39
Yes maybe your one is faulty, or perhaps more like the ethernet socket is not quite moulded right (that's probably the best description?), my point being 150ish we've supplied and only 1 reported problem from our customer and a couple of customers from elsewhere leads me to beleive this is not a VU+ problem, I'm in no way doubting you have the problem but I don't think it's receiver or even cable sepcific because I have the benefit that I've seen this many a time with many types of equipment, as I said even only last week the same problem with a Humax receiver, using a cable that has worked perfectly with the VU+.....

Ultimately if you think your one is faulty though get in touch with the supplier and get them to exchange, I'd have no problem in doing that for our customers, I'm just keen to make it clear I don't think this is a VU+ specific problem, it's all to easy to give the wrong impressions on these forums and others read something and get the wrong idea and start posting elsewhere that there is a problem, I'm just keen for this not to happen here, not that I mean you are trying to but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from :)

pooface
21-06-10, 21:06
I'm not saying that anything is faulty at all ... I'm just trying to say that there is the possibility of a "feature" in the system, in that the network cable must be fully pushed in and seated for it to work correctly... That's why I'm asking you (and others who've read this thread), to try what I suggested earlier. This would help me to (and yourself) to show/disprove the fact of the "feature"...

Retired member
21-06-10, 21:21
My trouble is I can't here, I've got stock sitting here with me right now but obviously I cant unbox to test, the one I do have is used for other things so can't just be disconected, but if anyone else reading would like to try please feel free and post results.

Only other thing I can give you us personal experience with the VU+ and personally I've never once had an issue on the 3 different machines I've owned, and in actual fact from 3 different batches with 3 different suppliers, I've had various cables plugged in and unplugged probably hundreds of times now and I've never noticed any issue what so ever, but as I say that's just my personal experience, and likewise I deal with all the aftersales emails normally and again never had a problem of this nature mentioned to me. :)

satmanbasil
21-06-10, 21:27
Hi m8s

I came across the same problem with the Rj45 plug on mine i noticed u can wiggle the plug so maybe they are using a cheaper componant. My lead did also have a broken clip on the plug that makes it click into place so i replaced this so at least if i do move the vu+ for dusting the plug wont fall out, also im my training of the vu+ i found a simple reboot will not kick the network into running so i now always power off from the rear switch when installing a new image this seems to make sure the network connects right.

regards
satmanbasil

Sicilian
21-06-10, 21:31
Got to admit, I've had mine for a number of months now and had no issues whatsoever. Also 2 friends of mine have them and they not experienced any issues with the RJ45 socket. We've even wiggled and push in and out the plugs, no issues to report.

pooface
21-06-10, 21:41
Got to admit, I've had mine for a number of months now and had no issues whatsoever. Also 2 friends of mine have them and they not experienced any issues with the RJ45 socket. We've even wiggled and push in and out the plugs, no issues to report.

Can u test it as I specified in my post earlier in the day though?! Just to rule out? As I've found that when it has been pushed in perfectly first thing, even if it's been wiggled out without rebooting the box, it works fine. It's only when doing a full power off with the cable wiggled out, that I've found it not load the network correctly. However, plugging back in the network whilst the box is loaded works perfectly fine iirc...

Ojustaboo
21-06-10, 23:52
I'm just keen to make it clear I don't think this is a VU+ specific problem, it's all to easy to give the wrong impressions on these forums and others read something and get the wrong idea and start posting elsewhere that there is a problem, I'm just keen for this not to happen here, not that I mean you are trying to but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from :)

I understand. 150 units 1 problem that's well below the normal failure rate for electronic equipment.

I've also seen the problem numerous times before, have my whole house gigabit wired and one of the hubs has a port that looks 100% fine, all the pins look like they're in the correct position, but it does the same thing, that's a decent cisco switch too.

Just asked as someone else mentioned they had the problem, if it turned out they had used a bad component (although from fitting the internal hard drive, everything looks extremely well made), I would have bodged it to work rather than send it back, But if it's simply my bad luck, then as I stream loads, I want one that works properly.

Although the actual cost for insured postage worked out at £24.99 when I got to the post office, not the £22 I mentioned earlier. Not very impressed at having to pay the return postage for something that doesn't work as intended.

I notice your T&C's say that in some circumstances you refund this cost which is better than most, but I still find the principle of this to be out of order. Many internet companies do it and in a way, I'm held over a barrel, if I complain and kick up a fuss about the return costs, they're hardly likely to go out of their way to send me a replacement fast if they think I'm an awkward customer etc (even less likely to go out of their way to send out a VUduo when paying customers want them).

I'm sure trading standards web page states somewhere that the customer isn't responsible for this cost if the goods are faulty?

I understand from the traders point of view that people often claim goods are faulty when they're not, hence don't want to be out of pocket, but couldn't there be some sort of compromise? For instance, a customer paying the trader up front and the trader then arranging collection? Even if I'm wrong about what Trading standards say and I wasn't entitled to a refund of the postage costs, I'm sure traders must have a good deal with their courier companies and be able to arrange insured collection at a lot less than the £25 I paid today?

If I had a run of bad luck and had to return the box 3 times due to manufacturing faults, that would cost me a silly amount of money for something that's not my fault. Again, not having a go at your company, just companies in general, at least yours says that you do refund in some circumstances.

Retired member
22-06-10, 05:23
Hi Ojustaboo, I was going to give a big explanation over all the warranty issue, refunding post costs and all, however rather than bore you all with the details I think the best idea is you search the forum and see what kind of service you can expect from us when things go wrong, I'll let our reputation do the talking ;)

My advice on returning heavy faulty items is go along to www.parcel2go.com and use the DHL Economy service at £6.99+VAT, it includes £50 compensation for loss or damage which obviously wouldnt cover the cost on a lot of receivers etc. but in the hundreds of times we've used this service they have only lost one once, ever, which is some going, and I think damaged twice, plus they collect from your door. In a lot of cases we use this service for returns AND book it in for the cutomer AND pay for it for the customer, the bottom line really is while we have all these terms and conditions they are only there to 'cover our arse' when you do get people try it on (and unfortunately you do occasionally), for the vast majority of people though we have no intensions of making everyone stick to them word for word as I'm sure our past reputation will be testament to. :)

Sicilian
22-06-10, 05:26
Can u test it as I specified in my post earlier in the day though?! Just to rule out? As I've found that when it has been pushed in perfectly first thing, even if it's been wiggled out without rebooting the box, it works fine. It's only when doing a full power off with the cable wiggled out, that I've found it not load the network correctly. However, plugging back in the network whilst the box is loaded works perfectly fine iirc...

Just done as asked, still no issues.

pooface
22-06-10, 08:21
Just done as asked, still no issues.

Might have another play about then and see if it is a major problem like Ojustaboo has had. Then, we my supplier has some in stock, I will get in touch with them if the problem is still there...

At least I live only about 30 mins drive away from my supplier, so can go down to them and swap it out if it does have the problem...

Sicilian
22-06-10, 09:47
One thing that has to be remembered here. Once the cable is plugged in, thats it. Most peeps will hardly ever unplug it again, let alone wiggle the plug/cable about.

With my DM7025 the toslink socket was too tight and the toslink cable would only go in / seat half way, but it still worked fine. So in all honesty I just lived with it and forgot all about.

Ojustaboo
22-06-10, 10:56
One thing that has to be remembered here. Once the cable is plugged in, thats it. Most peeps will hardly ever unplug it again, let alone wiggle the plug/cable about.

With my DM7025 the toslink socket was too tight and the toslink cable would only go in / seat half way, but it still worked fine. So in all honesty I just lived with it and forgot all about.

Very true, but in my case, every dat I took the box out of standby, I was having to wiggle the cable to get it working.

Sicilian
22-06-10, 10:59
Very true, but in my case, every dat I took the box out of standby, I was having to wiggle the cable to get it working.

Sorry, should have said your case is an exception.

Was just trying to use an example.

pooface
22-06-10, 14:32

Sounds like mine is just an exception. And, as long as it doesn't go the route of Ojustaboo, then I'll be happy for it to be like that. Will probably give it a few tests to make sure that it's all good. But will probably wait for the next few weeks to pass before I try that!

mrgee
22-06-10, 20:30
Hi everyone,

Just skimmed through the post so sorry if this has already been mentioned or checked...

It sounds like there is an IP address conflict on the network. This gives exactly the same problems that have been described.

I quick check would be to unplug everything except the box and reboot and see if connects any quicker

or

give the box a static IP address, then reboot

mrgee

pooface
22-06-10, 20:39
Hi everyone,

Just skimmed through the post so sorry if this has already been mentioned or checked...

It sounds like there is an IP address conflict on the network. This gives exactly the same problems that have been described.

I quick check would be to unplug everything except the box and reboot and see if connects any quicker

or

give the box a static IP address, then reboot

mrgee

Well, that's not the problem I have as always set the IP address to a static IP which is outside of the dhcp range and different to all other static ips (well, there are only 2, so I know what they are :p). So that definately rules that out for me :p

mrgee
22-06-10, 21:13
And me as well !!

Ojustaboo
23-06-10, 19:56
Well so far I have been less than impressed with the communications from the company I brought the VuDuo from.

I'm hoping they're as reliable as the forum that they sponsor, says they are.

We shall see.

grtmoby
23-06-10, 20:55
Well so far I have been less than impressed with the communications from the company I brought the VuDuo from.

I'm hoping they're as reliable as the forum that they sponsor, says they are.

We shall see.

sure you don't mean ******* :confused:

The guys and Ant are proved to be truly reliable and extremely helpful.

pooface
23-06-10, 20:59
sure you don't mean ******* :confused:

The guys and Ant are proved to be truly reliable and extremely helpful.

Nah, don't think he means *********. Think he means another satellite shop that's in Leicestershire. Their name is a similar type of person as a magician if I am correct in thinking who he bought it from (don't want to name in case it isn't them). But, if it is them, then it's a bit weird that I bought mine from them and also having problems with the network cable...

bob1
23-06-10, 21:00
He doesn't mean sat shop he bought from the other place which doesn't have any stock at the moment, i suppose that means there's little they can do to sort him out at the moment.

grtmoby
23-06-10, 21:04
okay, i was just surprised as I dealt and ordered from ******* personally (i'm overseas) and Ant was tremendous, the least to be said. I couldn't believe an e-tailer would track the package till i got it delivered as if it was his.
That's why i was surprised....

sorry m8 for what u are suffering now and hope all shall be good very soon

bob1
23-06-10, 21:05
Nah, don't think he means *********. Think he means another satellite shop that's in Leicestershire. Their name is a similar type of person as a magician if I am correct in thinking who he bought it from (don't want to name in case it isn't them). But, if it is them, then it's a bit weird that I bought mine from them and also having problems with the network cable...

I also bought from them and don't have any problems.

Ojustaboo
24-06-10, 01:27
Actually I think I'm being a bit unfair. Bearing in mind they only received my box back on Tuesday, I should at least give them a week to have time to inspect and get back to me with a proper response as to when stocks due in etc