PDA

View Full Version : Internet very slow since router install

Foxylady
16-12-10, 18:19
Hello all,
i put in a router modem namely the Belkin N150 adsl into my friends house so he could have wireless for first time.
He is with Talk talk of all peeps, man i love virmin lol.
He has a Sagem modem which the new router is replacing for the net access, all done and working, Except the internet is really slow wether it be via the ethernet to his pc or wireles to his laptop from the belkin.
So to eliminate cable wiring, filters etc etc, i simply put back in the sagem original modem back and connected to the net on the pc and bam the speed back to normal, soon as connect with belkin its damn slow, less than half a meg.
Is their a setting i have missed out in the router config or is it the router is naff?
Thanks for any advice in advance
Foxy

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 18:22
its takes 24-48 hours for the line to settle on the new router

Foxylady
16-12-10, 18:38
Can i ask why this is and does this i take it only apply on an adsl line?
First time of doing an adsl router install so unfamiliar with how they work
Thanks for very quick reply

marty
16-12-10, 18:40
I worked as a PC installer for 4+ years, never ever heard that one before.

pooface
16-12-10, 18:43
Is he on the 20mb talktalk (i.e. llu equipment), or served through bt equipment?

Might be the same either way, not sure, but you need to make sure that you have the mtu set to 1432. It might even need the mtu setting to 1400...

I've just installed my draytek vigor router, and that's even faster than I had before with pages loading instantly rather than within a few milliseconds...

Foxylady
16-12-10, 18:57
Pooface will bear that in mind fella, thank you.
I have just spoke to friend and the net as settled somewhat, it was approx 3-4 hours ago since i was their and currently net is at 3meg and stable both wired and wireless.
He is on the upto 8meg package i believe, i said you need to get onto them and take no crap about why the slow speeds, as he paying for 8meg and he should get it, but thats down to him now.
So for now looks all good, but will check setttingds as pooface mentioned and post back tomorrow.
Many thanks

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 19:22
I worked as a PC installer for 4+ years, never ever heard that one before.

talk talk is bt based and even bt states them selves that the internet needs time to settle to pick up its speed and settle on its intended speed [although bt dont always gove what they promise to give]

pooface
16-12-10, 20:12
talk talk is bt based and even bt states them selves that the internet needs time to settle to pick up its speed and settle on its intended speed [although bt dont always gove what they promise to give]

To a sense, that is true... But, talktalk have their own equipment in the exchanges nowadays (almost 99% iirc). So, although what you're receiving is being pushed down bt's lines, it's all handled through talktalk's equipment ... it's only the copper that is bt's.

As for the time for it to settle down, that is all due to the BRAS equipment that is used to try to give you the most stable line. That's only relevent though, as far as I'm aware, if he's receiving his Internet through BT's equipment, not talktalk.

A good place for your friend to go for support is the talktalk member's forums. Another good site, is the talktalk site (aforementioned forums are on this site also ;)). They have dedicated support staff who work on the forum monday-friday 9-5 (and when else they're bored :p).

Take a look on the site to find out the info for his exchange:

www.talktalkmembers.com

BTW, I'm on talktalk myself, and this is my latest speed test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1073460692.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Also, with talktalk you can get up to 20mb no matter what... As long as you are on talktalk's equipment. So check his exchange in that link I posted above...

Stanman
16-12-10, 20:39
NVM already covered