PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up OpenVPN client to connect to VPN from the box?

edwards
19-07-15, 16:10
Hi,

I have a private internet access account and would like to connect to the VPN from the box if possible, I am running Hades 18. I have had a look through the feeds and found an OpenVPN plugin but it does not install. Does anyone know if/how I can connect to a VPN through the box?

Thanks

Ashley69
19-07-15, 16:44
Menu/setup/system/network. Can you not see openvpn in there

edwards
19-07-15, 16:56
Menu/setup/system/network. Can you not see openvpn in there

Yes, I see it there but it is disabled and I only have the option to start it (nothing happens when I try this). I cannot see where I can edit the settings to setup my VPN connection?

Ashley69
19-07-15, 17:19
Have you FTP'd the ca.crt and crl.pem PIA config files into ETC/Openvpn on your box

hammyboy
31-07-15, 15:34
hi
sorry to jump in but i also have the same query.
i have a pia vpn account and would like to get my duo2 to connect using this to be able to get ts media working without putting in individual proxies - most of which no longer work.
i have installed openvpn through menu/setup/network/openvpn setup i am also running hades 18.
but i cant seem to get it to start.
i have placed the following 3 files downloaded from the pia client support page all in etc/openvpn :
ca
crl.pem
ovpn (uk southampton)

but it wont start.
is there something missing or are these the correct files?

ArowonA
31-07-15, 16:12
The final file 'ovpn (uk southampton)" should end with .conf
so something like client.conf or myvpn.conf

wallnut
31-07-15, 16:16
I have a paid PIA subscription and followed the instructions in this thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40693-VPN-Using-Private-Internet-Access&highlight=private+vpn

Its working great with TS media on my solo2:D

Think you may be missing the password.conf file

Ashley69
31-07-15, 18:33
hi
sorry to jump in but i also have the same query.
i have a pia vpn account and would like to get my duo2 to connect using this to be able to get ts media working without putting in individual proxies - most of which no longer work.
i have installed openvpn through menu/setup/network/openvpn setup i am also running hades 18.
but i cant seem to get it to start.
i have placed the following 3 files downloaded from the pia client support page all in etc/openvpn :
ca
crl.pem
ovpn (uk southampton)

but it wont start.
is there something missing or are these the correct files?

Arowona is correct. Rename your file of the server you want. Example would be if you want to connect to US East then rename the US east.ovpn file to client.config.
Then FTP into box etc/openvpn along with crl.pem and ca.crt files

dfox
31-07-15, 19:26

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40693-VPN-Using-Private-Internet-Access&highlight=private+vpn

What addons have you got working with TS Media and a VPN connection? I struggles with genesis.

wallnut
31-07-15, 20:07
I only really use TS media (10.3) for watching movies.

I use Icefilms, 1 Channel, Movie25 and Genesis. Not all links work but I always seem to be able to find whatever it is I want with one addon or another. I find that patience is the name of the game....... most of the time:D

hammyboy
03-08-15, 11:51

i am struggling to get this to work.
i followed the instructions in the link but i cant get openvpn to run which leads me to believe there is an issue with the 4 files.
open vpn just stays at status of stopped in red and wont start when i press the green start button.
i have created a file and called it password.conf and hav put it as user ******** on one line and pass ******** on the line below.
in the client.conf the line reads: remote-cert-tls auth-user-pass password.conf

i can post the full details of the 4 files or maybe theres something obvious i am doing wrong?
thanks
ham

dfox
03-08-15, 12:18
Who is your provider? With my provider all I needed to do was transfer 3 files over to etc/openvpn and that was it .

ArowonA
03-08-15, 12:36
i have created a file and called it password.conf and hav put it as user ******** on one line and pass ******** on the line below.
The password.conf file should contain just the username on one line and the password on the next, nothing else

hammyboy
03-08-15, 12:54
The password.conf file should contain just the username on one line and the password on the next, nothing else
I will change the password file and try when I get home later
Thanks
Ham

wallnut
03-08-15, 20:00
Sorry i cant be more help, i'm not very clued up on this sort of thing.

The only thing i can see is that my client.conf has 16 lines

line 11 = remote-cert-tls server
line 12 = auth-user-pass password.conf

Slightly different to what you have posted.

My password.config contains only the user name on line 1 and the password on line 2 and nothing else, as already mentioned by ArowonA:)

hammyboy
04-08-15, 14:21
sorry guys i have amended the files in etc/openvpn and it now runs but it doesnt connect to the remote server but it only kills my internet connection on the box.
when i ssh i dont get any ip address in the command window.
when i stop openvpn my network connection becomes active again and when i ssh it displays my vm wan ip address.
im sure the username and password are correct because i have accessed the socks 5 proxy on my phone. I also tried generating a new one and
i have tried different ovpn config files from different servers.

Ashley69
04-08-15, 18:33
As Dfox has said you shouldn't have to touch the info inside your configuration files.
All I have done is download my openvpn configuration files from my provider.
Rename the openvpn file for the area you want to connect to I.E US East.ovpn rename client.config.
Then FTP this into the box along with the ca.crt. file and the crl.pem files.
Job done

ArowonA
04-08-15, 18:39
You could try telnetting to the box and then running the following
tail -f /var/log/messages and then try starting OpenVPN on the box, hopefully in your telnet session it will show the error you're getting, if it's connecting properly you should see the message "initialization sequence complete."
You can press [CTRL] + C to stop the earlier command.

As other people using this service says it just works maybe there is something strange about your set up? Is your box plugged directly in to your router? if not, is it on the same IP address range as the router?

hammyboy
05-08-15, 17:49
You could try telnetting to the box and then running the following
tail -f /var/log/messages and then try starting OpenVPN on the box, hopefully in your telnet session it will show the error you're getting, if it's connecting properly you should see the message "initialization sequence complete."
You can press [CTRL] + C to stop the earlier command.

As other people using this service says it just works maybe there is something strange about your set up? Is your box plugged directly in to your router? if not, is it on the same IP address range as the router?

i think my setup is straightforward enough my box is wired to a netgear 5 port gigabit switch which is cabled to the router in another room so i dont think that should be an issue but i may be wrong. the router is 192.168.0.1 and the box is 192.168.0.7.

the only way i can get openvpn to start is to modify the client.conf file and insert password.conf as per walnuts instruction but this only serves to kill the internet connection on the box.

i have also placedthe password.conf file in etc/openvpn. it has has the socks5 proxy username -( begins with x) only on the 1st line with the password only on the second line.
the username and password are 100% correct as per the p.i.a client support page after i log in to the control panel.

i can see an error when i start a telnet session and then start openvpn but it seems to point to the password.

i have attached a log of the error along with the client.conf file.
thanks for all the help guys.

ArowonA
05-08-15, 19:42
It says it's connecting successfully, The password error is because of the reason I posted in the other post ( http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40693-VPN-Using-Private-Internet-Access&p=367589&viewfull=1#post367589_ ) :) it's not important.

It's normal for internet access to go down once connected, it can take a few seconds to start routing properly. what happens if you connect and then run
ping 8.8.8.8 do you get any replies?

wallnut
05-08-15, 20:11
hammyboy
for what its worth
your client.conf is exactly the same as mine, :thumbsup: (except you have a different server) i've looked at your putty.log but it might as well be in Chinese :eek: Sorry

hammyboy
05-08-15, 20:59
It says it's connecting successfully, The password error is because of the reason I posted in the other post ( http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40693-VPN-Using-Private-Internet-Access&p=367589&viewfull=1#post367589_ ) :) it's not important.

It's normal for internet access to go down once connected, it can take a few seconds to start routing properly. what happens if you connect and then run
ping 8.8.8.8 do you get any replies?

i can telnet to the box and get replies when i ping 8.8.8.8 with openvpn stopped.

with openvpn running and i telnet to the box firstly it takes about 10 seconds to allow me to login then when i ping 8.8.8.8 i still get replies though thetimes are 123ms as opposed to 22ms with openvpn stopped.

when i run openvpn and use ssh wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo i do not get an ip returned in the command window.
when i stop openvpn and try it reads the vm ip address which leads me to conclude that it isnt connecting through the remote server though i have to admit that i have a very limited knowledge of all this and am grateful for all your assistance.

hammyboy
05-08-15, 21:03
hammyboy
for what its worth
your client.conf is exactly the same as mine, :thumbsup: (except you have a different server) i've looked at your putty.log but it might as well be in Chinese :eek: Sorry

thanks for the help m8 i dont have much knowledge of these logs either i am limited to moving files and ftp'ing etc and usually spend loads of time trying to get little tweaks and different things to work.

ArowonA
05-08-15, 21:12
The fact you are getting a reply (albeit slowly) means it's connected successfully, why you don't get a reply from "wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo" could be DNS isn't working or ipecho.net is blocking connections from your VPN. Once connected try running

nslookup www.bbc.co.uk If you get requested timed-out or something similar try
nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8 if you get a result from that like
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address 1: 8.8.8.8 google-public-dns-a.google.com

Name: www.bbc.co.uk
Address 1: 212.58.244.71 bbc-vip116.telhc.bbc.co.uk
Address 2: 212.58.244.70 bbc-vip115.telhc.bbc.co.uk
then there is a problem with your DNS settings, maybe Virgin won't let you use their servers while connected to the VPN, a way roung this would be to configure your box with a static IP address something similar to

IP: 192.168.0.245
MASK: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

If you get a proper response from the first nslookup command, try running
curl icanhazip.com to see if you get a reply and a different IP address.

hammyboy
05-08-15, 22:39
thank you ArowonA:thumbsup:

I changed the network setup to static as per your suggestion and i am now connected online and have openvpn running.

i have verified the non vm ip using the wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo command.

many thanks for your assistance and patience.
ham

hammyboy
06-08-15, 08:36
sorry if i am asking for too much but i was thinking that i may want to remotely access the box from my laptop while away from home.
i know this was easily enough done as i have used it previously by forwarding ports on my router but im not sure it was totally secure apart from using a strong password.
do i need to connect to p.i.a on the laptop or do i just forward the relevant ports on the router considering openvpn is running on the box?
ham

ArowonA
07-08-15, 15:34
i was thinking that i may want to remotely access the box from my laptop while away from home.
i know this was easily enough done as i have used it previously by forwarding ports on my router but im not sure it was totally secure apart from using a strong password.
do i need to connect to p.i.a on the laptop or do i just forward the relevant ports on the router considering openvpn is running on the box?
ham
It's kinda complicated while being connected with OpenVPN!

Port forwarding on your router won't work, as any traffic in would get forwarded to the box, but the box will be replying over the VPN (so from a different IP address) which will get blocked, it would be like saying "Hello" to someone and someone else answering, you would probably just ignore them :)

Connecting you laptop to the PIA VPN won't work either, just because both are on the same VPN doesn't mean you will have access to your box or other computers on the VPN. (Something like hamachi could do this, but I don't think any VPN providers give this option)

Some VPN providers allow port-forwarding, I think PIA allow it too but on a dynamic port, your best option would be to ask on their forums.

I use AirVPN and they allow port forwarding of any ports above 2048, so for that to work you would need to change the port for Openwebif,
although I'm not sure how secure it is having ports forwarded directly to your box.

hammyboy
07-08-15, 21:12
It's kinda complicated while being connected with OpenVPN!

Port forwarding on your router won't work, as any traffic in would get forwarded to the box, but the box will be replying over the VPN (so from a different IP address) which will get blocked, it would be like saying "Hello" to someone and someone else answering, you would probably just ignore them :)

Connecting you laptop to the PIA VPN won't work either, just because both are on the same VPN doesn't mean you will have access to your box or other computers on the VPN. (Something like hamachi could do this, but I don't think any VPN providers give this option)

Some VPN providers allow port-forwarding, I think PIA allow it too but on a dynamic port, your best option would be to ask on their forums.

I use AirVPN and they allow port forwarding of any ports above 2048, so for that to work you would need to change the port for Openwebif,
although I'm not sure how secure it is having ports forwarded directly to your box.

thanks for the info ArowanA but it sounds way over my head i wont bother messing with it as it isnt that important to me and i dont have the knowledge to give myself any headaches with it.
ham

ArowonA
07-08-15, 21:25
You could also manually start openvpn when you need it, I can't imagine you need it all the time?
That way you would also be able to connect remotely (assuming it wasn't running)

hammyboy
07-08-15, 21:50
i have only used the webif remotely occasionally while away from home by forwarding a random high port on my router and protecting it with a password but im sure i read that even this wasnt really secure and the only way to securely remotely connect to your box was to set up or use a vpn but maybe i have got mixed up somewhere along the line.
you are indeed correct that openvpn doesnt need to run all the time on the box (though i have autostart enabled) so i will probably just disable autostart and run openvpn when i want to use ts media etc.
i can then set up a forwarded port and password to remotely stream from the box but as i said this would only be occasionally.

thanks again for all your input
ham

imish
08-08-15, 21:12

I'd like to configure OpenVPN on the VUsolo to connect to a VPN Router in my 2nd home.

What do I need to do to the PIA files in order to get it to connect to my Router rather than to PIA's service?

many thanks

ArowonA
08-08-15, 22:11
Hi imish,

It would really depend on which router you are using, mine, a Nighthawk R7000, will create the relevant configuration files for you.
You can't just change the PIA config as you will also need the CA certificate from your router and the user key and certificate if you aren't using password authentication.

imish
08-08-15, 22:25
Hi imish,

It would really depend on which router you are using, mine, a Nighthawk R7000, will create the relevant configuration files for you.
You can't just change the PIA config as you will also need the CA certificate from your router and the user key and certificate if you aren't using password authentication.

Thanks for the reply

its a Cisco RV325 - these support IPSec, L2TP, PPTP & SSL VPN.

ArowonA
08-08-15, 22:34
its a Cisco RV325 - these support IPSec, L2TP, PPTP & SSL VPN.
So not OpenVPN then, I can't really help sorry, PPTP would have probably been the easiest option but it doesn't look like a version is in the feeds. Another option would be to install a router in your first home which supports "IPSec, L2TP, PPTP or SSL VPN"

imish
08-08-15, 22:36
So not OpenVPN then, I can't really help sorry, PPTP would have probably been the easiest option but it doesn't look like anyone has built it. Another option would be to install a router in your first home which supports "IPSec, L2TP, PPTP or SSL VPN"

Seems like you are right.
is there another VPN client that I can use with the VU Solo?

defocusal
14-09-15, 14:25
Hi I am also trying to setup my box for openvpn, My vpn provider is nordvpn,

Now the files i download from them under the linux section on the nordvpn website are as follows,

uk9.nordvpn.com.tcp443.ovpn
uk9.nordvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn
uk9_nordvpn_com_ca.crt
uk9_nordvpn_com_tl.key

Anyone know how would get this working on my vix box
Cheers

scousertony73
29-04-17, 14:46
I just can't seem to find the etc/openvpn folder! I can see the etc/opkg but not openvpn???? Any ideas?

Ashley69
29-04-17, 14:56
I just can't seem to find the etc/openvpn folder! I can see the etc/opkg but not openvpn???? Any ideas?

Create the folder yourself.

keeling55
04-07-17, 22:52
I'm using ip vanish, I accessed their site and downloaded a zip file. All it contained was reams and reams of remote servers and a certificate. I know I need a password file, I assume that's ok as a .txt file, but I'm not sure if I need any thing else.