PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] recording problem

donjuan400
16-07-15, 17:40
I am using a 1TB HDD with external power supply which records fine, until i set a timer recording. If a programme last an hour or longer, the recording stops after about 50 minutes of recording, with the message disc full. There is over 600 GB of memory left so there is enough memory. Any help appreciated.

bbbuk
16-07-15, 18:25
Is HDD formatted to FAT32, NTFS or unix format?

I'm sure FAT32 had a single file size limit !

NTFS doesn't have this file size limit and neither will unix.

donjuan400
16-07-15, 18:38
Hi, Its fat 32

Andy_Hazza
16-07-15, 19:04
You need to initialise through ViX menu and set it up as ext4. Menu, Setup, System, Storage devices and initialise your hdd. Be warned though, you will lose all your data as initialising is basically equivalent to windows formatting your hdd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbbuk
16-07-15, 19:05
Just checked and the maximum file size is around 4GB under FAT32. 50mins worth of SD recordings wouldn't go near that limit but not sure about 50mins of HD recordings. Is this on just HD recordings or SD as well?

Can you determine the filesize of the recording that failed?

UPDATE:

In addition to what Andy has put, I'd like to add you wont be able to read this HDD under Windows under normal circumstances without 3rd party software of some description.

I use a 300GB internal HDD in my solo2 and as initialised via Vix menu (as pointed out by Andy) and I don't have any such problem with limit to length of recordings.

donjuan400
16-07-15, 19:51
Hi. So ive formatted the HDD to ntfs and initialised it, and started a recording for over 1 hour on an HD channel so i should find out soon if that is the problem. Many thanks for your help and fingers crossed.

bbbuk
16-07-15, 20:39
Hi. So ive formatted the HDD to ntfs and initialised it, and started a recording for over 1 hour on an HD channel so i should find out soon if that is the problem. Many thanks for your help and fingers crossed.Hopefully. Let us know how you get on :)

donjuan400
16-07-15, 21:00
It looks like that has sorted it. Recorded for over 80 minutes in HD without failing. Thanks again.

bbbuk
16-07-15, 21:25
Glad you're sorted. Remember that as mentioned by Andy initialising it means it's formatted to ext4 filesystem (linux)

donjuan400
17-07-15, 10:24
What is the benefit of initialising to ext4 ?

bbbuk
17-07-15, 11:01
What is the benefit of initialising to ext4 ?If you formatted to NTFS and then initialised it then during initialising process it would have been formatted to ext4 (linux filesystem) by default I believe.

Benefits: Total compatibility as linux filesystem is default filesystem.

Cons: Windows OS will not read linux filesystem without 3rd party software.