PDA

View Full Version : What VPN providers are people currently using

whatsat
09-07-15, 14:38
Hi All,

I am looking at getting a vpn, preferably one that i can setup on my router and is reliable, and does not log, and does not slow my speed right down.

Can you recommend some providers for me please?

Thanks,

pembo
09-07-15, 20:08
do you want to use a VPN provider to anonymize your outgoing traffic, or do you want a VPN on your home network so you can connect in?

whatsat
10-07-15, 13:59
do you want to use a VPN provider to anonymize your outgoing traffic, or do you want a VPN on your home network so you can connect in?

i want to be able to use american tv apps in the UK

pembo
10-07-15, 23:57
unless you've got a really clever router, you'll need to do this on a box otherwise all your traffic would come from that address and then you'd lose access to the local catchup services. You'll want a provider where you can pick a location to 'come from' such as PIA I guess.

cosie
11-07-15, 15:22
Unlocator is very good

thisntaht
11-07-15, 17:12
I use SmartDNS from overplay, It's brilliant and faster than a VPN, Just put their DNS Numbers into your router and you can watch TV from anywhere without the geo restrictions.
You can select your Netflix region and regions for all different services around the world. It's very good :)

whatsat
11-07-15, 17:13
unless you've got a really clever router, you'll need to do this on a box otherwise all your traffic would come from that address and then you'd lose access to the local catchup services. You'll want a provider where you can pick a location to 'come from' such as PIA I guess.

I have a billion bipac 7800n router, will that do it? If not what do you mean by box?

whatsat
11-07-15, 17:15
Thanks cosie & thisntaht. I take a look at them later. Do you know if the suggested throttle your bandwidth?

thisntaht
11-07-15, 18:01
Not one bit.. Try it for a month and see for yourself.

cosie
11-07-15, 19:19
There's a free 7 day trial m8

pembo
11-07-15, 19:36
I have a billion bipac 7800n router, will that do it? If not what do you mean by box?

don't think so having a quick look around, by on box I meant, install/setup the VPN client on a PC/E2 box/whatever, and connect to the VPN when you want to change your location.

whatsat
24-09-15, 14:18
Just in case anyone is wondering, I went with unblockus in the end. For me unlocator wasn't very good as it kept buffering/hanging my streams. I guess they do restrict your bandwidth despite saying they don't.

martin15s
02-10-15, 12:46
I have been using Tellypass for the UK from Spain for several months now and it was easy to set up and is very reliable and very fast.

The Jazzman
03-10-15, 05:34
I've been using hidemyass now for a couple of years and find it great.

neil306
12-10-15, 20:47
i use smartdns proxy no slower speeds easy set up..overplay is also good same type of set up

johnhoe
15-02-19, 15:26
I would add also to the voices that emphasise that VPN protocols can have a profound effect on download speed. Using a protocol such as PPTP or L2PT (with or without Ipsec2) may have a minimal effect on download speed but can only provide minimal security. Openvpn protocol on the other hand, has military strength encryption (256bit) but, as a side effect, can slow down download speeds much more than the other protocols. Interestingly enough Openvpn seems to work better on Express VPN or Nord VPN for me, so it is definitely worth using the trial period (both these providers and others give this) to get a refund if Openvpn slows your system too much.
Also let me say again: Using a fast router to do the VPN client processing (with minimum spec dual processors and plenty of memory) can minimise the VPN downgrade effect on download speed and protect all the devices on your network at once.

roy0110
15-02-19, 19:03
i would urge anyone wanting to purchase a VPN to ignore this thread.
it's full of spam and wrong information.

Sicilian
16-02-19, 07:04
i would urge anyone wanting to purchase a VPN to ignore this thread.
it's full of spam and wrong information.

I only saw two spam posts which have now been deleted and the posters banned.

imish
04-08-19, 10:17

this is a very good point.

bassethound
06-08-19, 09:31
Been using spidervpn for a while very good can use as a stand alone VPN service or there own VPN preconfigured router

samsid
07-08-19, 15:46
same as that, no problems with spider vpn, it's better value buying from them direct. I saved €20 on pro router package, it's just plug n play & off you go