PDA

View Full Version : New Box Any suggestions?

chris0794
07-07-15, 14:53
So I’ve encountered the red light of death on my VU Duo that I’ve had for around 3 years or so. I know it’s potentially fixable but given the age of the unit I’m minded to upgrade my machine.

I don’t need too much out of it, I bought the Duo as it was a twin tuner and I had a 500MB HDD added so that I could also record the copious amount of rubbish the wife and the kids like to watch.

Therefore I don’t really want to break the bank for a new box. I like the VU’s and had just about settled on a Solo2 (which I think is a twin tuner and can add the HDD) when I saw the Vu+ Solo SE V2 . I’m now confused which is the better box (I think you can add another tuner to the SE, am I right?). I've noticed the SE also has the option of a 500GB USB HDD, which I like the sound of as I've always found my Duo HDD to be slow and a bit noisy.

Basically I’m wondering which is the best value once I add the additional bits on that I need (HDD, and tuner for the SE). Any advice on these would be really appreciated (or whether there are other better value twin tuners?).

Cheers, Chris

Sicilian
07-07-15, 15:35
Solo SE V2 only accept one tuner module, so you can have either 1x Single satellite tuner, 1x Twin satellite tuner or Hybrid tuner module. Solo SE only has external USB HDD

Why not consider the Xtrend ET8000? http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=ET8000

chris0794
07-07-15, 15:49
Thanks Sicilian - how does this compare with the Solo2?

If I went for the ET8000 would I be able to use the HDD from my VU Duo?

Thanks
Chris

mr.raw
07-07-15, 16:01
I was looking at the Vu range and went for the ET8000 in the end. Fitted 500g internal hard drive. ET8000 is a very well specced box for the money. No regrets here.Does not crash like my old VU+Solo :)

Stanman
07-07-15, 17:12
Unless your HDD was 2.5 you might struggle to fit it in some of the smaller boxes.

I would also look at the TM 3T.

If have the money buy a duo2.

I would star clear of the ET.

dwarf
07-07-15, 17:18
Hi Stanman, Why would you stay clear of the ET range.

I've set up all three boxes you've listed above. I've found technomate a bit flaky and driver support poor, The duo2 is great but a bit overpriced compared to competitors and the xtrend was great very fast and really good value since the recent price drop.

Have you seen failures with xtrend? Or is it personal preference?

Sicilian
07-07-15, 18:32
I would also look at the TM 3T.

If have the money buy a duo2.

I would star clear of the ET.

I think thats very biased considering you've never owned or used any of the current Xtrend range. Every make model has their issues :trustme:

Imo the ET8000 and ET10000 are a steal at the current price's.

Stanman
07-07-15, 18:33
Star clear was probably a bit strong mate.

Just based on old boxes but having said that mate has the newer xtrend and his pleased so worth considering.

Sicilian
07-07-15, 18:42
Thanks Sicilian - how does this compare with the Solo2?

If I went for the ET8000 would I be able to use the HDD from my VU Duo?

Thanks
Chris

Yes the ET8000 can use 2.5" & 3.5" internal SATA HDD. Take out of Duo, straight into ET8K.

john doe
07-07-15, 19:01
i have solo2 for a year and half and its been a great little box, which i bought for about £289,. am waiting for the new VU 4K to come out, but ive been tempted by extend 8000 and 10000, due to the price.

Sicilian
07-07-15, 19:09
but ive been tempted by extend 8000 and 10000, due to the price.

Imo no brainers.

VU+ Duo (original model) = £189, old slow spec. Two fixed tuners.
VU+ Solo2, great receiver, can't knock it, two fixed tuner, £209.
Compare the above to ET8K, three plug and play tuners that can be mixed and matched, can use 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, great quality, well laid out universal remote control, only £159.

VU+ Duo2, can take two tuner modules, so a little limited to what you can mix and match. Hardware transcoding, takes 2.5" or 3.5" HDD. Imo colour LCD a gimmick. £289.00, great quality, can't knock it.
Campare to ET10K to Duo2, more verstile tunerwise, more USB ports, can use 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, also does hardware transcoding, great quality, well laid out universal remote control, only £239.

chris0794
07-07-15, 19:24
Thanks - gone for the ET8000. Appreciate all of the advice!

Cheers
Chris

cactikid
07-07-15, 19:55
right box on way back for testing and now found out my duo has got that red light and starting again:mad:so wonder if i should be thinking of a quad tuner,2 sat and 2 cable with a 3tb internal? has anybody used all tuners at once for recordings,choices choices:confused:

chris0794
09-07-15, 21:15
So...

Got my new ET8000. Seems a nice box, set up with no problems at all. I swapped the HDD from my old (broken) VU Duo and its working which for me is a miracle in itself. I couldn't see any fixings with the box to secure the hard drive to the mount, so used the old screws from my Duo which seem to have rubber shockers on them. The problem is when I'm recording or watching a programme back, the HDD is very noisy and clunky.

Could it be that I haven't fitted it properly? There was a little bit of movement between the hard drive and the mount, but the screws were fully tightened. Or are all HDD's generally quite noisy (although it wasn't as noisy on my Duo)? Are there better options, such as an external USB or maybe a new HDD is needed (are the 2.5" any quieter)?

Cheers
Chris

cactikid
09-07-15, 21:38
just a quick bit of info on your great box,enable fan as it is set to off:thumbsup:

chris0794
09-07-15, 21:55
just a quick bit of info on your great box,enable fan as it is set to off:thumbsup:

Good call - thanks!

lynxeffect
10-07-15, 10:38
Hi guys

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this so apologies if not. I have been trying to read up and gather as much information as possible on the various boxes on the market as these are all new to me. My question to you guys is : Can you help or point me in the right direction as to what box would suit my needs, I would need a box with the ability to watch one programme whilst recording another at the same time, it also would need to work over wifi as opposed to ethernet, budget-wise, I would be happy to spend £200 - £300 for quality. Something fairly easy to set up and navigate would also be preferred as i have never used any of these boxes before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

john doe
10-07-15, 11:31
Hi guys

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this so apologies if not. I have been trying to read up and gather as much information as possible on the various boxes on the market as these are all new to me. My question to you guys is : Can you help or point me in the right direction as to what box would suit my needs, I would need a box with the ability to watch one programme whilst recording another at the same time, it also would need to work over wifi as opposed to ethernet, budget-wise, I would be happy to spend £200 - £300 for quality. Something fairly easy to set up and navigate would also be preferred as i have never used any of these boxes before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

for that price you can go for a number of boxes, duo2, mutant etc. you can add tuners as well. it seem like the et8000 and 10000, seem very good buys at moment (et10000 better than the 8000). I have the solo2 and have had no issues with it, been a great box.

jasper1974
10-07-15, 12:05
just upgraded my tm nano2 super box to a duo2 from sponser on here and its bleeping amazing and sponser gives 1st class service cant fault him or the box

ok the lcd on the front of the duo2 some may say is gimmicky but i love it and makes the box look a lot nicer than others around when you consider its on ull show all the time i wanted a box that looks the pat as well as being a damn fine quality product

lynxeffect
10-07-15, 14:58
Thanks folks. The Duo 2 seems popular amongst what ive read so far and the good service you say you have received is re-assuring, think I will most likely go for that box, and i do esp like the lcd on the front as you point out jasper1974. I have noticed there are 5 or 6 options though, like whats the difference between VU+ Duo 2 (1x Twin DVB-S2 Tuner) and VU+ Duo 2 (1x DVB-S2 Single + 1x DVB-C/T/T2 Tuner) apart from £24??

duncans
11-07-15, 13:52
but it you buy a 4k satellite box then would you have to upgrade your tv and av reciever that would be costly

Andy_Hazza
11-07-15, 14:32
Unless you already have a 4K TV!!! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cactikid
11-07-15, 14:53
cable and sat tuner=dvb-c and dvb-s2.

Richard-001
23-07-15, 22:54
Chris,

have a look at the Duo2. The current prices are getting so close that the difference in price (between Solo2 and Duo2) is diminishing, especially when you don't need an additional WiFi device....

On a physical level the Duo2 has a built in WiFi, can take 2.5 or 3.5inch HDD and does not need an external power supply.

If you are happy with the existing drive, reuse it.