PDA

View Full Version : [ABM-MISC] How to remove section markers from FTA list?

LeeC22
04-07-15, 11:54
I only use the FTA section of ABM and the way it used to work, was that it generated a single list of channels, with just FTA (or something similar) at the very top. Now it insists on putting markers like Entertainment, News etc... all the way down the list. How do I stop it doing that?

I have tried hiding every section, but it still inserts those labels in the FTA list. I just want a single list of channels, with no section markers in the FTA section. I already know what every channel is and considering that it wrongly puts things like BBC News HD into the documentaries section, these labels are of little use.

I am only using the Sky UK provider with Granada set as the region, image is Hades 015.

Willmoore
04-07-15, 12:07
set up>service searching>ABMaker>configure Place bouquets at make sure this is set to Top

Huevos
04-07-15, 12:26
How do I stop it doing that?You can't. Section markers are in all bouquets except sections.

it wrongly puts things like BBC News HD into the documentaries sectionIf a provider chooses not to group their channels numerically that is what the result will be. The reason these channels appear in the "wrong" place is because the provider has given them "wrong" numbers.

lincsat
04-07-15, 12:40
If a provider chooses not to group their channels numerically that is what the result will be. The reason these channels appear in the "wrong" place is because the provider has given them "wrong" numbers.

Not really a "wrong" number, the News section is full so Sky have placed extra news channels after documentaries rather than renumber all the documentary channels to create extra space in the News bouquet

Huevos
04-07-15, 14:53
Not really a "wrong" number, the News section is full so Sky have placed extra news channels after documentaries rather than renumber all the documentary channels to create extra space in the News bouquetYes, exactly. This is because the provider is not grouping its channels numerically. For them it doesn't matter because they are writing software for one provider and a proprietary receiver, whereas ABM is written to work for multiple providers on a wide range of STBs.

LeeC22
05-07-15, 01:46
The weird thing is, Sky doesn't have BBC News HD in the Documentaries section, which is why I was confused as to why it is in there in my Bouquets. It is actually listed as channel 570 in the Sky guide. Having just checked the channel numbers for documentaries, I see what you mean about the numbers. :(

I was on Apollo 096 I believe before this, with the same single provider. I remember trying to go to a later version, but reverted back because of this very same problem. If I go back to the ABM scripts from that version, is it possible I could use that version of ABM with this version of ViX? Or has the bouquet data changed at source?

If I can't solve it, then I might just roll back to the older version I was using.

abu baniaz
05-07-15, 03:10
The data is the same.

You can use an older version of ABM if you want to get rid of the markers in the main bouquet. Make sure you use the whole ABM folder. You will lose out on the benefits of the changes though. Be advised that any updates to ABM will also update on image updates. You could uninstall ABM and just copy the older ABM folder over so opkg is unaware of its existence.

LeeC22
06-07-15, 11:54
Thanks for that info Abu. I have a backup image of Apollo 098, so I'll restore that and extract ABM from it, then restore my image of Hades 015.

lincsat
06-07-15, 13:12
Can I make the suggestion that, if possible, a switch is added to enable/disable the section markers from the list.

Huevos
06-07-15, 13:55
Can I make the suggestion that, if possible, a switch is added to enable/disable the section markers from the list.Yes, but it would be for all bouquets not individual ones. So "all channels", "FTA", "HD", and "FTAHD".

karlenejones
06-07-15, 15:59
I'm trying to update my vu box it says scanning completed 934 channels found I'm trying to turn it off on the remote so it can reboot but it won't turn off any suggestions please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeeC22
07-07-15, 13:48
Yes, but it would be for all bouquets not individual ones. So "all channels", "FTA", "HD", and "FTAHD".
As someone who has never used the different sections in all the years I have been with Sky, even when I had an official Sky box, I am definitely +1 for a switch option to turn them off. I don't have any subscriptions, so FTA is the only bouquet that I use.

I had thought about editing the sat_282_sky_uk.xml file and removing all the sections apart from the top one, but I didn't really want to risk breaking anything. I would much rather have the changes made my (or recommended by) someone who knows the source code. I don't know Python, and my brain isn't up to the task of learning another programming language, so I wouldn't want to start fiddling about in those files.

Peterj
07-07-15, 16:21
I had thought about editing the sat_282_sky_uk.xml file and removing all the sections apart from the top one, but I didn't really want to risk breaking anything.
That's the easiest way to do. Only keep the first section. You also can rename it if you want.

<sections>
<section number="101">Sky channels</section>
</sections>

Huevos
07-07-15, 17:15
At least the first section is required, so editing the providers file will not clear all section markers.

LeeC22
08-07-15, 12:52
That's the easiest way to do. Only keep the first section. You also can rename it if you want.
That didn't work. In fact, not only did it not work, it left me with no channels, and even restoring the original xml file back left me with no channels. I had to do an image restore to get things back to normal. :(

I probably did something wrong, but I don't know what. I tried restoring the old file back while the box was off, did a fresh scan, but it acted as though the modified file was still there. I did a gui restart and the box locked up at the spinning logo. So I just did a full restart and an image restore.

This is why I don't like messing, but I just get a bit frustrated when I don't like how something works, and there appears to be no easy way of changing it. :( I think I'll probably just roll back to Apollo 098. Hopefully this will get an off switch in the future, and I can start using the latest versions again.

Huevos
08-07-15, 14:40
Doing what PJ suggested would never make your box lock up or need a reflash.

Just send the xml to the box and scan. No restart needed.

LeeC22
09-07-15, 01:15
It probably didn't need a reflash, it's just that sometimes, when I get stressed, it's easier to just go back to a place where things worked and then try again at a later date.

I've got to sort some other channel settings out on my motorised dish, so I'll leave it a day or so, and then try and sort both out at the same time. I appreciate the help though, so a genuine thank you for that.

abu baniaz
09-07-15, 01:20
Always a good idea to backup files before editing.

judge
09-07-15, 01:34
It probably didn't need a reflash, it's just that sometimes, when I get stressed, it's easier to just go back to a place where things worked and then try again at a later date.
It didn't need a flash, just another look at the file edited.
Probably just missing a <, >," or / somewhere...
Sometimes easier to flash though if the mistake isn't obvious.
Using an editor with syntax colour highlighting helps to find where a mistake is made.

LeeC22
09-07-15, 01:50
Always a good idea to backup files before editing.
I always do, that's how I was able to send the original file back over.

It didn't need a flash, just another look at the file edited.
Probably just missing a <, >," or / somewhere...
Sometimes easier to flash though if the mistake isn't obvious.
Using an editor with syntax colour highlighting helps to find where a mistake is made.
What caused me to reflash, was that I sent the original xml file back over but it just refused to scan properly. It still just had the single section marker but no channels. When I did a gui restart, the box got stuck at the spinning logo... so it seemed like the best option was to start over. Saves me throwing the remote at something when I break something else by trying to fix things. :D

I always use Notepad++, I read and write xml files with my own programmes, so Notepad++ is always on my system.

judge
09-07-15, 02:01
What caused me to reflash, was that I sent the original xml file back over but it just refused to scan properly. It still just had the single section marker but no channels.
The original file wouldn't do this, are you sure it was the original file & not the edited file you used?

When I did a gui restart, the box got stuck at the spinning logo... so it seemed like the best option was to start over. Saves me throwing the remote at something when I break something else by trying to fix things.
In this case, E2 crash logs are more than likely produced, in /home/root/logs/ by default & should give you a good idea to the error made.
Anyway, glad you've sorted your issue.
Due to the excellent work done by Huevos & some others, if you read the readme file included in ABM, it should help you with all sorts of custom channel lists.

abu baniaz
09-07-15, 02:10
Might be an idea upload the original file and the edited file for somoene to have a look.

LeeC22
09-07-15, 16:02
The original file wouldn't do this, are you sure it was the original file & not the edited file you used?
I Ftp'd back into the box and viewed the file, and it had all the sections back. It made me wonder if it was using a cached version somehow, which is why I did the restart.

I don't fully understand how the file system works on E2 boxes. I am so used to computers that my brain automatically thinks *hard drive* and *caches*... a bit like when you make a website change but you still get the previous cached version in your browser sometimes. So my natural instinct was *clear the cache*, let it load the actual file on disk (or in whichever bit of storage it is using). But in reality, I have no idea whether anything does actually get cached in this way...

Abu, I don't have the edited file now, but all I did, was change the <sections> section, to this:

<sections>
<section number="101">All Channels</section>
<section number="1050">Not indexed</section>
</sections>

I left the *Not Indexed* section in, as I had never seen that before, and thought it might be a fallback section, for channels that don't get picked up by other section markers.

I'll give it another go after the weekend. I have a fair few recordings that happen over the weekend, so I'll wait for a quiet time in the schedule to have another try with it.