PDA

View Full Version : Freesat tuners & Series link

satnut2
28-06-15, 10:31
Is it possible to buy a linux box with plug in true freesat tuners ? , I have a Humax HDR 1010S Freesat box and VU solo 2 , I miss not having the quick true series link function which the Humax offers

I know you can use similar functions in VIX but it isnt quite the same

Is this at all possible with a linux satellite receiver ?

rossi2000
28-06-15, 10:59
Is this at all possible with a linux satellite receiver ?

anythings possible i guess if you can code it.

chumley
02-07-15, 13:55
I was wondering about series linking - I know we have Autotimer, which is great - just not exactly the same as series link, for example : Masterchef - set an Autotimer using the default values and you will not record all the episodes in the series (i.e. it will record all episodes of it on Wednesday etc.)

I read something on another forum (which i'm not sure is true), which would really be useful for people migrating from a Sky box:

"How does Series Link actually work?

The broadcaster (or their metadata representative) creates the series/chain of events. This has a series ID and each event in the series has that series ID held against it in the EPG. When you book a recording, the Sky+ box holds onto that series ID and records everything that appears in the series.
If no events appear in a series for a given period of time (12 weeks I think), the box stops looking for anything in that series.

That isn't a highly technical explanation but gives you an idea.

If an event moved and dropped out of a series then it sounds like the broadcaster has made a mistake. I believe Channel 4 manage their own listings provision."

rossi2000
02-07-15, 14:04
dont expect ALL features from sky to be on a linux box.

if you want sky features, tbh stick with sky

Andy_Hazza
02-07-15, 15:39
I was wondering about series linking - I know we have Autotimer, which is great - just not exactly the same as series link, for example : Masterchef - set an Autotimer using the default values and you will not record all the episodes in the series (i.e. it will record all episodes of it on Wednesday etc.)

I read something on another forum (which i'm not sure is true), which would really be useful for people migrating from a Sky box:

"How does Series Link actually work?

The broadcaster (or their metadata representative) creates the series/chain of events. This has a series ID and each event in the series has that series ID held against it in the EPG. When you book a recording, the Sky+ box holds onto that series ID and records everything that appears in the series.
If no events appear in a series for a given period of time (12 weeks I think), the box stops looking for anything in that series.

That isn't a highly technical explanation but gives you an idea.

If an event moved and dropped out of a series then it sounds like the broadcaster has made a mistake. I believe Channel 4 manage their own listings provision."

You must have not Un-ticked the 'Just record on Wednesday' option then.

chumley
02-07-15, 16:18
@Andy_Hazza Ahh but how do you know? series link takes the guess work out.

@Rossi2000 Humax also do series link - I don't want all features of a Sky box but you would have a hard time convincing me (and a few others) that one click (and forget) series linking is not a desirable feature on any receiver.

Andy_Hazza
02-07-15, 16:25
Thats all part of the fun, learning, making mistakes along the way. If you want sky then like Rossi says, stick with an official sky receiver. I know which I prefer....... This is the beauty of using ViX, you can tinker, customise and have it how you want it, sky don't n never will offer that freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossi2000
02-07-15, 16:56
@Andy_Hazza Ahh but how do you know? series link takes the guess work out.

@Rossi2000 Humax also do series link - I don't want all features of a Sky box but you would have a hard time convincing me (and a few others) that one click (and forget) series linking is not a desirable feature on any receiver.

the 2 companies you mentioned, pay for there own development.

desirable feature or not, as i said earlier in the thread, if you can code for it, then no problems!!

chumley
02-07-15, 18:02
You are completely right Sky will never open their boxes but that isn't my point, I still wouldn't want their box anyway. The point is that a series link based upon a proper key is more accurate than keyword matching and requires less user input.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

rossi2000
02-07-15, 18:04
ok .