PDA

View Full Version : Console Emulators

proteus4
24-06-15, 20:56
I have seen on one of the other e2 forums that someone has managed to get a SNES emulator working on his MIPS based STB. This is something that I think could be built upon and if there was ever support for console emulators added to the Vix build it would make it a complete entertainment centre. TV, XBMC and Emulators in one STB = perfection :thumbsup:

A google search for 'Xcore Tomcat' brings up youtube videos of it in action. An init4 command is sent to kill enigma and then a command to launch the snes9x emulator and hey presto - the guy has mario kart up and running!

Mods - if this is in the wrong section then apologies

Walt
24-06-15, 21:05
If I want to play mario kart, the last thing I'd do is launch it on my receiver when I can just turn on my SNES or Wii.

proteus4
24-06-15, 21:14
Thats fine if you happen to own a working console but not everyone has that luxury, plus it means less clutter around the tv if you have everything in one stb

realdannys
06-11-15, 20:53
Urgh, sounds horrendous. How are you going to play it, with your remote control?? :confused:

ronand
07-11-15, 01:03
The Spiderbox 9000HD supported MAME emulation for around 20 roms. It worked fine but the remote was the weak point. There was little interest in the feature and no further development ensued. It was cool to try out but I dont think anyone actually played the games regularly. At the end of the day you cant beat the original hardware that the game was intended to run on.

proteus4
01-05-16, 23:59
Urgh, sounds horrendous. How are you going to play it, with your remote control?? :confused:

A usb controller. Majority of linux kernels have support for usb controller so why not use that? Thats what I use on my linux box

eoinzy
05-05-16, 11:06
ye I agree.
I like to have options, and the option to play SNES games on my receiver appeals to me.
I have wired USB controllers, as well as bluetooth controllers. I'd love to be able to use one or both, for when there's nothing on TV!!

Also, I use emulators on my laptop, and hook it up to my TV, so this would mean less clutter.