PDA

View Full Version : Dead Vu+ Duo.. time for new box, advice please.

dazzlaa
23-06-15, 16:53
So my Duo has finally died. replaced the capacitor but still only a red light so im going to get an upgrade. Spoke to world of satellite eaarlier and was advised to go with an Xtrend et8000. I kinda want the 10000 g edition for the transcoding but i think i can live without it. My biggest question really is what FW to go with. It used to be just VIX and blackhole, I have only ever used VIX but now I see open ATV OpenXTA and OpenPLi. Can anyone shed any light on these? Any advantages?
Im looking to go with a combo box for satellite and cable and also run some IPTV streams.

So with all said and done, any pros/cons to the xtrends?

Many thanks
Daz

john doe
23-06-15, 17:04
the golden star LX3 is on offer and a better receiver than the et8000 from the sponser

dazzlaa
23-06-15, 18:23
the golden star LX3 is on offer and a better receiver than the et8000 from the sponser

It only has satellite tuners available though, I am after a combo receiver.

Thanks

twol
23-06-15, 18:24
So my Duo has finally died. replaced the capacitor but still only a red light so im going to get an upgrade. Spoke to world of satellite eaarlier and was advised to go with an Xtrend et8000. I kinda want the 10000 g edition for the transcoding but i think i can live without it. My biggest question really is what FW to go with. It used to be just VIX and blackhole, I have only ever used VIX but now I see open ATV OpenXTA and OpenPLi. Can anyone shed any light on these? Any advantages?
Im looking to go with a combo box for satellite and cable and also run some IPTV streams.

So with all said and done, any pros/cons to the xtrends?

Many thanks
Daz

Never tried Blackhole, but otherwise you have OpenPli and the Open alliance group (Vix, Xta, ATV).
In myview OpenVix is the most complete package (certainly for someone only receiving UK channels).
OpenXTA is close to VIX, but still needs work to include what is standard on VIX.
ATV requires more work than the other 2 and requires more time to get used to the differences in setup.
OpenPLI is in a world of its own.... And (in my view not for normal people ... Unless you have the technical egotism reqired by this site) :)

Otherwise Xtrend produce good quality hardware (don,t need the security board on latest boxes .... Although it never gave me an issue), and provide ongoing support.... And have for several years now, unlike some that come and go :)

dazzlaa
23-06-15, 18:38
Never tried Blackhole, but otherwise you have OpenPli and the Open alliance group (Vix, Xta, ATV).
In myview OpenVix is the most complete package (certainly for someone only receiving UK channels).
OpenXTA is close to VIX, but still needs work to include what is standard on VIX.
ATV requires more work than the other 2 and requires more time to get used to the differences in setup.
OpenPLI is in a world of its own.... And (in my view not for normal people ... Unless you have the technical egotism reqired by this site) :)

Otherwise Xtrend produce good quality hardware (don,t need the security board on latest boxes .... Although it never gave me an issue), and provide ongoing support.... And have for several years now, unlike some that come and go :)

Thanks for the advice, I think at the current price of the ET8000 it is a very good deal. Ill stick with VIX and go with the ET8000 :)

bellejt
23-06-15, 19:05
If you live in Belgium go for a vu duo2.Same price with a dual dvb-s2 dual tuner.

electrocop
23-06-15, 20:24
For what it's worth, i agree with bellejt - go for another Vu+ receiver. There seems to be a wider choice of images available and the build quality cannot be disputed. I use OpenPli and OpenSPA on mine and they are both great images and very easy to use. Admittedly you have to add plugins that Vix include as standard but looking at it the other way, you can add what you want without the stuff you will never need!!

dazzlaa
24-06-15, 17:12
i ordered the xtrend et8000, gets delivered tomorrow. I really could not justify the extra £100 price for the Duo2. Thanks for the replies everyone, im sure its a great box :)

mr.raw
25-06-15, 15:22
i ordered the xtrend et8000, gets delivered tomorrow. I really could not justify the extra £100 price for the Duo2. Thanks for the replies everyone, im sure its a great box :)

I was also looking for a new box and also went for the Xtrend unit.

dazzlaa
25-06-15, 22:01
I was also looking for a new box and also went for the Xtrend unit.

Got mine all set up today and im really happy with it so far. Its definitely faster at doing the everyday task.