PDA

View Full Version : What Box Should i get Next????

jasper1974
22-06-15, 19:54
Ok guys I currently have a TM-Nano-Super which I must say has done me well for the last 8 months and I have found this whole enigma2 stuff fairly easy as when I was last on the scene was just when the DM800HD had come out so about 7 Years ago.

Now im looking to relocate the TM to the Bedroom and get another box for the main TV room.

Have got my shopping list of what I would want the next box to be able to do so thought I would ask you guys what you would recommend and why you would recommend your recommendation?

New box should be able to give me the following.....

1) Connect to the hard drives of the TM and vice versa so what's recorded/Stored on one is accessible to the other box.
2) Be able to transcode recordings/films Stored so I can watch tv/films when on long nights out on my ipad/iPhone/laptop away from home network where box is.
3) Be able to Run Openvix as love the image especially with the confluence Skin
4) have 2 Satellite Tuners with option to add cable tuner or more sat tuners in future.
5) Be able to access HBBTV with it
6) Be able to accept both an internal HDD and one via USB

Well I think that's about it.

I know there will be a fair few VU+ Duos recommended but are you paying for the name with these??

I also like the look of the Gigablue HD Quad+ Plus but can this do all I want on my shopping list like the transcoding??

Huevos
22-06-15, 20:54
Xtrend 10K.

Stanman
22-06-15, 20:55
LX3 it's a steal at the moment but no cable tuners though might be able to source tuners from Euro

jasper1974
22-06-15, 21:45
LX3 it's a steal at the moment but no cable tuners though might be able to source tuners from Euro

Don't want to be buying bits from different sellers in different countries really

Xtrend 10K.

Cant justify the price

DaMacFunkin
23-06-15, 07:09
Well if you want hardware transcoding, the duo2/mutant/10k level of box is what you will have to pay for.

Sicilian
23-06-15, 07:36
If you want satellite tuners only the LX3 is a steal at the moment, if not look at the Mutant HD2400 ;)

twol
23-06-15, 09:02
Cant justify the price
Then you don't want item 2 transcoding. :)

jasper1974
23-06-15, 10:24
Well if you want hardware transcoding, the duo2/mutant/10k level of box is what you will have to pay for.

From what I can tell they all use the same processor as the gigablue?

Then you don't want item 2 transcoding. :)

Yes I want transcoding and from what I read the gigablue does transcoding and is £100 cheaper?

My personal preference looks wise is the VU+ duo2 or the Gigablue as I think some of the others don't look as good when its going to be in full view all the time.

At the moment I think im starting to lean towards the VU+ duo2 as I know for sure that transcodes but maybe inclined to the gigablue if others can confirm this does everything I want it to

twol
23-06-15, 11:27
From what I can tell they all use the same processor as the gigablue?

Yes I want transcoding and from what I read the gigablue does transcoding and is £100 cheaper?

My personal preference looks wise is the VU+ duo2 or the Gigablue as I think some of the others don't look as good when its going to be in full view all the time.

At the moment I think im starting to lean towards the VU+ duo2 as I know for sure that transcodes but maybe inclined to the gigablue if others can confirm this does everything I want it to
Gigablue 100 cheaper? Amazed its thats expensive. As per the name the air was blue on this Web site and others last year, but perhaps they fixed all their issues?
Others can tell you.
VU have been around for some time and keep on delivering.

Stanman
23-06-15, 12:11
You get what you pay for.

No arguing the VU are solid boxes.

I have had virtually all manufacturers and VU are the best imho.

Gigablue were the worst in not delivering what was promised. XTREND I would avoid as not fan of their security board. Mine and two mates boxes failed under 3 years.

TM are so so

joysleep1
23-06-15, 12:56

Gigablue were the worst in not delivering what was promised. XTREND I would avoid as not fan of their security board. Mine and two mates boxes failed under 3 years.

TM are so so

What do you mean fan of the security board?
Is there anything you can do to prevent this from failing?

Sicilian
23-06-15, 12:58
XTREND I would avoid as not fan of their security board. Mine and two mates boxes failed under 3 years.

Might have been issue with some of their earlier models, not the newer current models, completely redesigned.

samsid
23-06-15, 13:08
for me it's always vu+ , they can be expensive, a cheaper alternative to duo2,the solo2 at just over £200 from here, fantastic box

Huevos
23-06-15, 14:54
for me it's always vu+ , they can be expensive, a cheaper alternative to duo2,the solo2 at just over £200 from here, fantastic boxSolo2 doesn't cover the brief. I've always liked Vu+ boxes (got 4 here) but...

The Duo2 only has 2 tuner slots. As far as I'm concerned that is too inflexible, and using twin tuners means no loor-through. Even the 4 year old Ultimo is better in that respect.

Personally, if I wanted a 4 tuner box today it would be the Xtrend 10K or the Mutant 2400.

jasper1974
23-06-15, 20:17

TM are so so

for me it's always vu+ , they can be expensive, a cheaper alternative to duo2,the solo2 at just over £200 from here, fantastic box

Solo2 doesn't cover the brief. I've always liked Vu+ boxes (got 4 here) but...

The Duo2 only has 2 tuner slots. As far as I'm concerned that is too inflexible, and using twin tuners means no loor-through. Even the 4 year old Ultimo is better in that respect.

Personally, if I wanted a 4 tuner box today it would be the Xtrend 10K or the Mutant 2400.

Thank you everyone for all your input I have taken all the comment on board and decided for me its the VU+ Duo2 only thing I don't understand is what would be the problem with having a dual satellite card why do I need a loop through??

at the moment ive got 1 feed coming in from LNB and second feed going straight to the LNB so I wouldn't need a loop thru.

Also I have my old Cable feed coming in to the house by where the tv is so I could just connect that up to a cable tuner card in the VU+ due2 in the future.

Why and when would I need a loop thru from a satellite tuner???