PDA

View Full Version : [Mut@nt HD2400] Box will not boot (stuck in loop on load screen) after skin change

edwards
20-06-15, 10:27
Hi,

I am using the Mutant HD2400 with hades 12. I have been using it for a few weeks with no issues with the skin that came loaded on the box which was open vix night HD I believe, this morning I decided to try out some different skins. I changed to the vixbmc confluence 1080 skin and this loaded up without any issues, I then tried the vixbmc 1080 skin (not that exactly but something like that, vixbmc but not confluence) that I got from the feeds.

It restarted the GUI and then seemed to be stuck in a loop, the hades loading screen comes up the vix spins in the top right corner and the progress bar on the lcd screen doesnt move any further. The spinning vix disappears for a few seconds and the load screen disappears for a split second then comes back and it just goes around in that loop. I have tried powering the box off and leaving it for a minute and then power back on but it boots to a certain point then gets stuck in the same loop.

Can anyone please give me some advice on the best thing to do here to recover the box? I am bricking it a bit that I may have screwed it up entirely :/

judge
20-06-15, 10:48
You can ftp or telnet into the box and delete the selected skin in /usr/share/enigma2/
It will then restart with the default skin in use.

Also, E2 cashlogs are being generated while this happens, by default in /home/root/logs/
Please upload one here so someone can tell what's causing this cash.

adm
20-06-15, 10:51
You haven't bricked it.

You can always recover by downloading the image (software) from the web, putting it on a USB stick and re-flashing the image. You will have to set up your box again

Download the image from
http://www.openvix.co.uk/

Guide to flashing using USB stick and front panel controls on your box
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=%2A%2A%2AGuides%20and%20Tutorials%2A %2A%2A/Flashing%20Guides/

edwards
20-06-15, 11:17
You can ftp or telnet into the box and delete the selected skin in /usr/share/enigma2/
It will then restart with the default skin in use.

Also, E2 cashlogs are being generated while this happens, by default in /home/root/logs/
Please upload one here so someone can tell what's causing this cash.

Can I ftp to the box whilst it is stuck in the boot loop?

judge
20-06-15, 11:18
Can I ftp to the box whilst it is stuck in the boot loop?

yes .

edwards
20-06-15, 12:44
yes .

That has worked a treat to get me booted back up in the default skin. I have removed all other skins than the default (openvix-vix-night-HD) through the plugins menu but now when I try to change to another skin (I am trying to change to vixbmc-confluence-1080) the same loop error happens again and I have to ftp to the box to delete the confluence skin again to go back to default.

I have the log, is it safe to upload it as it is or is there any sensitive information I need to remove?

judge
20-06-15, 13:03
is it safe to upload it as it is or is there any sensitive information I need to remove?
Yes, safe to attach here. No sensitive information is logged.

edwards
20-06-15, 13:15
Here is the log guys.

I would like to be able to change the skin to confluence if possible without flashing a fresh image. I am a total newb here but just having a look at the log it seems its trying to load a font from /ViXBMC_1080_Common/ folder and I don't remember remember deleting that folder when I deleted the confluence folder to get the box to boot with default skin again and it is not in the enigma2 folder now so maybe it didn't download for some reason when I re-downloaded the confluence skin from the feeds?

Bazzer
20-06-15, 13:25
Hi m8
I know this is not much help but I have been running the vixbmc-confluence-1080 skin on my Mutant for months now with no issue's it will be interesting to see what is causing it.

edwards
20-06-15, 14:10
Hi m8
I know this is not much help but I have been running the vixbmc-confluence-1080 skin on my Mutant for months now with no issue's it will be interesting to see what is causing it.

I have ran the confluence skin without this problem. The issue began this morning when I switched from the confluence skin to the another of the vixbmc skins and since deleting the other skins to get the box to boot back into default skin I can no longer load the confluence skin.

I have attached the log from the very first time this error happened too

Bazzer
20-06-15, 14:23
I would have thought that when you re-flashed the image using usb it would have cleared the problem :confused:.

edwards
20-06-15, 14:35
I havent re flashed the image yet, was hoping not to have to. I have just deleted the skins other than default so that the box booted up in default skin and now I cant change to any other skin without the error.

judge
20-06-15, 14:48
Yes, the skin can't find the required skin fonts.
How did you remove the skins? manually or through the plugins/remove menu?
How did you reinstall the skin?

Should be easy enough to fix, although no harm in you learning to flash the box as this would also fix the issue.

rossi2000
20-06-15, 15:01
and those are the older 720 vixbmc skins your trying too
not the new 1080 ones.

the new 1080 vixbmc skins are
ViXBMC_1080
ViXBMC_1080_Bello
ViXBMC_1080_Confluence

edwards
20-06-15, 17:04
Yes, the skin can't find the required skin fonts.
How did you remove the skins? manually or through the plugins/remove menu?
How did you reinstall the skin?

Should be easy enough to fix, although no harm in you learning to flash the box as this would also fix the issue.

When the box was stuck in the loop during booting I FTP'd to the box and deleted all of the skins except the default skin which allowed the box to boot up into the default skin. I then went into the plugins/remove menu to see what was showing in there and all of the skins that I had deleted through FTP were still showing in the remove menu so I went through and removed each of them as well. I then rebooted the box and all was well booting in the default skin and the deleted skins no longer showed in the plugins/remove menu or the skin setup menu.

I downloaded the confluence skin again through plugins/download plugins menu and then went into skin setup menu and changed to the confluence skin. This is when the GUI rebooted and during reboot the box got stuck in the loop again.

1) Is this something I can fix without flashing the image again?

2)I have flashed the image once already through the image manager as I had to update from hades 11 to 12 because of the spinning vix bug so I have had a little bit of practice flashing. If I do need to flash will I need to flash a fresh image not an image backup (the backup was created after I had the error changing skin) to avoid having the same error with the skin?

3)If so can I flash a fresh image and use a settings backup or will this cause me to have the error when changing skin again?

and those are the older 720 vixbmc skins your trying too
not the new 1080 ones.

the new 1080 vixbmc skins are
ViXBMC_1080
ViXBMC_1080_Bello
ViXBMC_1080_Confluence

I didn't realise this at the time I was just downloading skins from the plugin feeds to see what they looked like and then I got this issue :/ I will stick to the latest from now on though!

edwards
20-06-15, 17:26
I have just noticed that when I download the skin only the /usr/share/enigma2/ViXBMC_1080_Confluence folder is created and not the /usr/share/enigma2/ViXBMC_1080_Common/ folder as well?

judge
20-06-15, 18:20
I have just noticed that when I download the skin only the /usr/share/enigma2/ViXBMC_1080_Confluence folder is created and not the /usr/share/enigma2/ViXBMC_1080_Common/ folder as well?

You could download the bits you're missing from the git sever. https://github.com/OpenViX/skins
Or, probably easier just to fresh flash with no restores at this stage.

birdman
20-06-15, 19:17
I have just noticed that when I download the skin only the /usr/share/enigma2/ViXBMC_1080_Confluence folder is created and not the /usr/share/enigma2/ViXBMC_1080_Common/ folder as well?That's because you deleted the folders manually - the installed package database still thinks it is there.
telnet to the box and run:

opkg install --force-reinstall enigma2-plugin-skins-openvix-vixbmc-1080-common(might need to switch "install" and "--force-reinstall").

edwards
20-06-15, 20:33
Great support! Thanks guys.

In the end I have downloaded the folder from github and FTP'd it to the box and this seems to be working fine now.

I have not had to telnet to the box before but if I have any further issues I will look into that and try it, thanks for the advice.