PDA

View Full Version : box wont recognise avi files on my 1tb w/d portable hard drive.....

moogwai
14-12-10, 20:39
do i have to do anything to my hard drive before the box will recognise the files?? plugde it in to the front usb...it shows in the media set up but when i click on drive the files aren't there for me to play.
your help is welcome.

MalteseMick
14-12-10, 20:50
the file extension is definately .avi?

If it's recognising the folder structure then it isn't rejecting your hard drive so it sounds like it's an issue with the files themselves, try putting a few MKVs on there to see if they turn up.

moogwai
14-12-10, 21:24
yea the file is definately .avi i looked at the properties of the file. will try a few mkv files. thanks again mick.

moogwai
24-12-10, 10:17
vu+ still not recognising my portable hard drive...even with mkv files on. any tips?

stanley1
24-12-10, 13:18
usb or mains powered?

moogwai
25-12-10, 13:52
it's usb powered mate.

stanley1
25-12-10, 14:34
had same problem, using maxtor mains powered caddy, works perfect, maybe usb can not draw enough power from port so that files can be seen.

silverfox0786
25-12-10, 18:42
avi files as far as i'm aware wont play direct you need to setup vlc share on them

look at irishchris sticky on how to get it going

moogwai
25-12-10, 19:49
had same problem, using maxtor mains powered caddy, works perfect, maybe usb can not draw enough power from port so that files can be seen.

hmmm....was thinking that,just wondered if anyone else has the same problem. thanks mate.

moogwai
25-12-10, 19:53
avi files as far as i'm aware wont play direct you need to setup vlc share on them

look at irishchris sticky on how to get it going

yeah i know about the duo not being able to play avi's yet so tried a few mkv's on the drive,still nothing...never mind...its not that important....just would be quicker to stick files onto drive and play them form there rather than ftp'ing them over which takes ages!! thanks for your info may try the vlc thing to see if it works...but me box is playing up at the min and i'm having trouble with a few plug ins and i'm thinking of putting the vix image on it in the next few days so will see what happens then.
cheers.

Prioryman
25-12-10, 22:41
Just out of interest have you installed the VLC plugin??

moogwai
25-12-10, 22:57
no mate...not as yet.

silverfox0786
25-12-10, 23:01
can you actually see the drive in the file browser and when you go to vix menu device manager how is it mounted

moogwai
26-12-10, 14:31
can you actually see the drive in the file browser and when you go to vix menu device manager how is it mounted

yes mate....you can see the device and i click on it but there's nothing in there!! and i'm on the vti image....don't know how to see how its mounted!!

moogwai
26-12-10, 16:31
update........changed over to the vix 1.3 image and it works perfectly!!!