PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Driver Bug Duo2

lincsat
15-06-15, 18:10
With a Duo2 on ESPN HD on Sky UK only (doesn't happen on VM cable), when the adverts come on, they are displayed as 4:3, this also happens with some bumpers whilst programming and most trailers are OK. Can someone else with a Duo2 check this.

I believe this is a driver bug rather than a ViX bug as it happens with other images as well but is OK on other boxes that I have tried.

It's not a problem currently as it's OK during programming, it just needs checking and advising in case it spreads to programming.

pembo
15-06-15, 23:01
What channel - this isn't something I've seen on my duo2?!

lincsat
15-06-15, 23:51
What channel - this isn't something I've seen on my duo2?!

What it says at the top M8 - ESPN HD on Sky UK only

wallnut
15-06-15, 23:53
I don't usually watch ESPN but I saw your post and thought I'd have a look.
It's exactly the same here. I'm using a Solo2.
The baseball being broadcast now is fine but the adverts were displayed as 4:3

Trial
16-06-15, 09:07
Hi,
HD transmission is always 16:9. When you see 4:3 (black bars left and right) they are part of the picture. I do not think it is a driver bug. VUs are not able to scale HD to letterbox or pan&scan other stbs might be able to.

ciao

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 09:10
..... other stbs might be able to.
None of my boxes is...

lincsat
16-06-15, 13:06
Hi,
HD transmission is always 16:9. When you see 4:3 (black bars left and right) they are part of the picture. I do not think it is a driver bug. VUs are not able to scale HD to letterbox or pan&scan other stbs might be able to.

ciao

I've had 2 boxes side by side and the Duo2 switches to 4:3 missing the info on the left and right edges and a Duo stays at full widescreen. I think it's something to do with the switching signal that the box isn't seeing or processing and thinks it's a 4:3 transmission. As I say, it's not a problem while it's adverts oly but if it starts happening with programming, then it it a problem.

Trial
16-06-15, 13:53
Hi,
are you sure that HD channel are displaying 4:3? I thought HD is always 16:9.

ciao

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 14:33
I thought HD is always 16:9.
Absolutely correct. There is no HD-signal anywhere in 4:3.

lincsat
16-06-15, 15:34
So, someone reports a bug, someone else confirms it and rather than checking, the ViX team say it's not possible!

Well, here's a photo showing the edges cut off

And 30 seconds later in regular programming on the same channel with exactly the same settings

You can clearly see that the advert is cropped to 4:3. It does appear in full 16:9 in the Web Interface, so it's just in the display. A Vu+ Duo on the same TV does display the adverts properly, so it's box specific.

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 15:42
So, someone reports a bug, someone else confirms it and rather than checking, the ViX team say it's not possible!

Where did we do that? Please read carefully what is being said...

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 15:47
You can clearly see that the advert is cropped to 4:3. It does appear in full 16:9 in the Web Interface, so it's just in the display. A Vu+ Duo on the same TV does display the adverts properly, so it's box specific.
The web-if displays the same as the video-output to the TV. So it looks like a TV-setting that is misleading you.
You probably have the TV set to aspectratio=auto? What happens if you set it to 'wide'?

Be aware that commercials are (most of the time) sent in the correct AR; when the show itself is in 4:3 the display will switch.
Furthermore: what are the AR settings in you AV settings on the box?

lincsat
16-06-15, 16:13
The web-if displays the same as the video-output to the TV. So it looks like a TV-setting that is misleading you.
You probably have the TV set to aspectratio=auto? What happens if you set it to 'wide'?

Be aware that commercials are (most of the time) sent in the correct AR; when the show itself is in 4:3 the display will switch.
Furthermore: what are the AR settings in you AV settings on the box?

As stated a Duo displays the adverts correctly as does a Solo. I have not tried a Zero or Solo2. These are all on the same TV with the same cable and the same settings.

The program in 16:9 widescreen and the adverts should be 16:9 widescreen but are displayed cropped on the same box with the same settings. This does not happen on the same channel broadcast by cable (on the same Duo2 and same TV, same settings), only on the Sky UK satellite transmission. It rules out a configuration issue

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 16:26
And it rules out a driver issue, but it includes a wrong provider setting. It usually is.

lincsat
16-06-15, 16:36
Fine, I give up, I will not report any more bugs I find or try to help you out again.

In the meantime, why don't you just try it yourself on a Duo2. It only happens on ESPN HD on Sky UK and no other channels.

bellejt
16-06-15, 16:59
evenon HD channel I sometimes get 4:3 .Depends on what the original was made.Lots of comedy series are still in 4:3 and even on BBC HD they stay that way.

rossi2000
16-06-15, 16:59
yes but those are few and far between now with the black bars up each side, that definatley is programme fault

lincsat is it every advert thats displaying in 4:3?

lincsat
16-06-15, 17:29
yes but those are few and far between now with the black bars up each side, that definatley is programme fault

lincsat is it every advert thats displaying in 4:3?

Yes, every advert and some bumpers, it switches back to 16:9 for promo's, trailers and regular programming. The same channel on VM cable on the same box is OK as is the Satellite channel on a Duo and a solo box. I'm going to try the autoresolution feature when I get time to see if that makes a difference (I don't use it on the other boxes though)

rossi2000
16-06-15, 18:23
i will give it a look on my zero later.

could well be a driver issue, the duo has different drivers and kernel, so that could be why its ok on there

Trial
16-06-15, 18:29
Hi,

In the meantime, why don't you just try it yourself on a Duo2.
I would like to. Sadly wrong sat & provider for me.

What model of TV are you using?

ciao

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 20:31
evenon HD channel I sometimes get 4:3 .Depends on what the original was made.Lots of comedy series are still in 4:3 and even on BBC HD they stay that way.
Nope, that is not correct.
An HD signal is always 16:9; the DVB-specs don't allow any other AR.
But of course the contents of the video can have all kinds of AR's. All other contents then 16:9 should show black bars (on top or side).
But: Some providers don't embed the correct AR in the signal. Unfortunately there is no STB (to my knowledge) that can correct these wrong settings.

In the above example you see the same show on DVB-C/T being correct and DVB-S being wrong. Only the provider is to blame for this and only he can correct it.

Rob van der Does
16-06-15, 20:33
Fine, I give up, I will not report any more bugs I find or try to help you out again.
Please don't react in such a childish way. We do understand the issue you observe, but I don't think you fully understood the answers.
We only try to help you in understanding what is going on.

lincsat
16-06-15, 22:13
Nope, that is not correct.
An HD signal is always 16:9; the DVB-specs don't allow any other AR.
But of course the contents of the video can have all kinds of AR's. All other contents then 16:9 should show black bars (on top or side).
But: Some providers don't embed the correct AR in the signal. Unfortunately there is no STB (to my knowledge) that can correct these wrong settings.

In the above example you see the same show on DVB-C/T being correct and DVB-S being wrong. Only the provider is to blame for this and only he can correct it.

OK, lets try this then -

2 TV's side by side. Left hand picture is off a Duo2 and the right is off a Solo both tuned to the same channel. First picture is during an advert

second picture during regular programming

You can clearly see that the picture is cropped to 4:3 on the Duo2 but is displayed in full screen on the solo for the adverts and both fullscreen for programming. Both are using the same image with the same settings tuned to the same channel. If I swap TV's, then the Duo2 is still cropped on the other TV whilst the Solo is still fullscreen on the other TV.

It is nothing to do with settings, the TV, the cable or any other local variable. It probably is something being sent by the broadcaster but the Solo (and a Duo) read it correctly whilst the Duo2 (and from what someone else posted the Solo2) read it incorrectly. Therefore I suspect a Driver problem, most likely a display driver.

Rob van der Does
17-06-15, 02:05
With a Duo2 on ESPN HD on Sky UK only (doesn't happen on VM cable)
This already makes clear it's an issue with the TS (so a faulty setting by the satellite provider).

I checked ESPN HD and changing the AV-setting 'Show >16.9 material as' changes the AR during the adds. When set to 'letterbox' it shows as 3:4, when set to 'pan & scan' it is full screen. This also shows the TS is faulty (as HD should always be 16:9).

But: I can only reproduce this on the DUO2. On my other boxes, including the Ultimo, the AR-switching doesn't happen (I used the same recording and the same TV to check).
So it looks like a DUO2-only-issue indeed.

Additional: the WEB-IF of the DUO2 does show the correct AR, while the TV doesn't. This makes it even more incomprehensible.

lincsat
12-10-15, 23:50
This particular problem is also appearing on the new AMC from BTHD channel and again only on the Duo2 and Solo2. It's happening on ALL programming, not just adverts. Could you ask Vu+ if there are plans to update drivers to compensate for this issue

Larry-G
13-10-15, 05:56
No point even asking Vu as they likely will just ignore any emails or queries. Their support is trully pathetic these days and only seems to materialise when they have a new model they want to toute to the masses.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

lincsat
15-10-15, 13:44
I've just checked on a Zero and it's the same, so could be all their newer boxes. Does anyone have a Solo SE to try? If it's affecting all boxes currently for sale, then a contact from someone at ViX or O-E could make them consider looking at it.

Cheeseman
15-10-15, 19:59
I have the same issue on both DUO2 & ZERO. Adverts change to 4:3 on ESPNHD & AMC HD is also in 4:3.

If I stream to my PC from the DUO2 the recording is ok, if I look on the Webif the picture is the correct size.

Rob van der Does
15-10-15, 21:22
Guys, no need for all the confirmations. it is a driver issue, so all boxes are affected.

Cheeseman
17-10-15, 13:48
Ok, any idea when they might sort this out?

Andy_Hazza
17-10-15, 13:50

Nowt to do with ViX. Fire an email off to Vu+ to get attention. The more peeps that do this, might shake em up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
17-10-15, 14:42
Nope; they don't work 'on command'. And some of their bug are there from day 1....

Cheeseman
17-10-15, 15:03
Sent a bug report!

DaMacFunkin
17-10-15, 16:02

Maybe never, VU+ are a Korean company and probably don't care that your commercials are in 4:3 on a couple of channels.

lincsat
17-10-15, 16:57
Maybe never, VU+ are a Korean company and probably don't care that your commercials are in 4:3 on a couple of channels.

On AMC HD, it's all programming not just commercials. I have sent off a comment and was hoping ViX team members/coders would as well

Larry-G
18-10-15, 06:03
On AMC HD, it's all programming not just commercials. I have sent off a comment and was hoping ViX team members/coders would as well

There is no real point us sending them such bug reports as they rarely ever respond to let alone knowledge these reports. We have a list of known bugs going back to day one of the duo that they still refuse to accept. only when it affects a new box or if image support is put in jeopardy do they do any thing these days.

p.s this is not a new bug either, It has been known about / commented on for quite some time (more than a year at least).

Cheeseman
18-10-15, 13:09
Pretty disappointing, but not surprising. Why does it only happen on certain channels? Is there no work around?

Sicilian
19-10-15, 07:58
I haven't read this whole thread, but can anyone confirm this same bug is present in Blackhole and VTi images? Also is present in Openpli?

zino
20-10-15, 21:05
Same issue on my solo2

Larry-G
20-10-15, 22:35
There is no point in people dropping into this thread to confirm they also have this issue, as I said it has benn known about and talked about on various forums for at least a year or more. It's something Vu+ need to sort out in their drivers.

zino
21-10-15, 23:03
There is no point in people dropping into this thread to confirm they also have this issue, as I said it has benn known about and talked about on various forums for at least a year or more. It's something Vu+ need to sort out in their drivers. "People" was talking about the new channel,
AMC from BT HD launched less than 2 weeks ago. Not about an issue from years ago.
The channels seen with this so-called bug may be a clue to what or where the problem actually is.

topmusic
05-01-16, 13:57
It's also on the VTI image (8.2.3) on my Solo2.
Channel Syfy HD (Sky Germany 19.2 East), when Stargate SG1 is on.