PDA

View Full Version : Duo2 dead power supply ok?

Dirk
03-06-15, 22:09
My duo2 doesn't boot no more :( and doesn't recognize a USB-stick either.
The white led flashes when I push the power button above the front USB connector
Before that, a number of times the system stopped reacting, with sound continuing. Picture mostly blocked. No reaction on remote control or Ethernet port. I had to cut power.
Before sending it for repair, can I check the power supply? I measure 12V on 4 output pins as marked on the print, but I was thinking about the problems with a capacitor with the duo I red about.

cactikid
03-06-15, 22:21
might have read the duo2 is new and no cap issues with this box,maybe box needs reflashing with bootloader then image,wonder if you had a usb setup for epg and if not could be going to internal flash.

you need a good usb for vu as they are fussy in not seeing usb sticks.format to fat 32

Andy_Hazza
04-06-15, 08:07
The white led flashes when I push the power button above the front USB connector
Before that, a number of times the system stopped reacting, with sound continuing. Picture mostly blocked. No reaction on remote control or Ethernet port. I had to cut power.
Before sending it for repair, can I check the power supply? I measure 12V on 4 output pins as marked on the print, but I was thinking about the problems with a capacitor with the duo I red about.

Are you able to connect to the Vu+ Duo2 via ftp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirk
04-06-15, 21:11
My box is 2,5 year old. Out of warranty. I imaged it the last time, thinking the problems had to do with software. But now it does not seem to react on the same USB stick. Didn't try the bootloader, don't know if that is still possible. To be sure I will prepare and try an other stick.

Dirk
04-06-15, 21:14
I will retry but I don't think so. When blocked the ethernet port was dead and did no longer appear on the list of my adsl-modem/switch.

Dirk
24-08-15, 23:19
As you can see, I left it untouched for a while after some more tests.

Think it can be a hardware problem, but it could also be a software problem with the bootloader. If he doesn't load a USB stick or the flashed OS, the symptons would be similar, no response. Correct? Parts of the bootloader code could be overwritten?

Even so, with no way to get it booting or changing the content of the flash memory, I could dump the board? Did a last try with a RS-232 connection.
Not fully sure it is the RS232, but a few times the system booted again when I was playing with the keys in Minicom (not with Putty or Screen). Think, some non damaged bootloader code was activated via the keyboard. Do not know what key nor saw any character coming from the rs-232 port. But at some moment he even flashed an USB-stick.

Would (re)installing the Duo2 VFD Controller Update replace the complete bootloader? I hope to replace the part I suppose is missing. (Do I put both files, duo2.bin.vfd and duo2.bin.vfd.md5on, on a stick in /vuplus/duo2?)

DaMacFunkin
25-08-15, 09:09

Sorry I have only just seen this post, I had all the same problems with my duo2, it started with random lock ups and quickly deteriated to the point it wouldn't flash, and I thought it was the bootloader that was corrupt via putty I got logs which stated random memory problems, it then hit to the point where I would just get a white light and no read out at all, luckily it was under warranty, I sent it back to VU+ and they couldn't fix it so they gave me a new motherboard, if I had to guess I would say it was a bad joint on a memory chip, if your out of warranty I would consider trying the heat gun trick, just make sure you mask any plastic bits of properly.

wullboy
25-08-15, 13:14
I would look for a " dry solder " on the mother board, look for one that is looking a wee bit duller that all the rest, Yes, it can be very hard to spot, but if you look under neath the board and look at the joint with a magnifier glass, you would see that it is not actually touching the solder at all ??? worth a look m8 ???

Dirk
27-08-15, 22:33
Thanks for the reply's. I will first try looking for a dry solder. Will take again some time. Probably not easy with surface mount. Perhaps pushing with a thin object.
Maybe high resolution photos can help.
But first I have to get the print out of the case without damaging it. That doesn't look easy.

Rufus
07-03-16, 18:18
I have the same problem as Dirk - today my Duo2 is not booting - wondering what to do? - Googling around the phrase "vu+ duo2 faulty" came across a website where it shows a Duo2 being rebuilt Google.Com fourth listing / result ( https://moltensolder.wordpress.com/ ) - but I don't solder so what should I do?

Dirk what did you do?

DaMacFunkin
07-03-16, 20:23
I've read that, will certainly give it a go next time my duo2 dies lol.

Rufus
24-03-16, 17:22
I've read that, will certainly give it a go next time my duo2 dies lol.

How long ago did you "read that"? It would have been handy if you had mentioned it earlier - sounds like you have experience of a dead Duo2 - if so what did you do in the end to fix it? How much did it cost to get it going again?

No TV repairer (or similar) I can find will touch my dead Duo2 and showing them that webpage seems to put them off further not encourage them to fix it - who fixes these things?

blaska
26-05-17, 08:43
Hello,
My Duo2 just died a few days ago. Same syntoms as discrived, nothing on dysplay, nothing on hdmi, no usb, no ftp, just a white led on and hard disc spinning.
Its 2,5 years old so no guaranty.
Any help will be wellcome.
Thanx.

joysleep1
26-05-17, 09:39
Wow surprised. Thought the VU models were more reliable than that.

wullboy
26-05-17, 10:19
Wow surprised. Thought the VU models were more reliable than that.

What is nowadays m8, everything is getting made cheaper & cheaper by the day...

tappari
26-05-17, 10:39
I don`t know about situation in yor country, but in Finland it is very easy to order new powersupply for Duo2:
http://www.*******.fi/power-supply-for-vu-ultimo-duo2.html?___store=default&___from_store=fi
It is not the question just for the voltage, but also for ripple AC voltage above voltage. That might be caused of damaged capacitors.

blaska
27-05-17, 07:49
What is nowadays m8, everything is getting made cheaper & cheaper by the day...

Stracted from an internet blog:

"Budget Realisation Phase – The cost for every single Capacitor needed was well over £100! About 20% of that was due to me picking very long lifespan big name Japanese made capacitors as an upgrade to 10,000 Hours of full load service life at 105ºc – by comparison the original now suspect non-Japanese capacitors averaged a mere 2,000 Hours of service life at mostly 85ºc"

Seem that vu+ choosed cheep chinese caps. Thinking of not to buy anymore their boxes.

Alec
27-05-17, 11:23
Stracted from an internet blog:

"Budget Realisation Phase – The cost for every single Capacitor needed was well over £100! About 20% of that was due to me picking very long lifespan big name Japanese made capacitors as an upgrade to 10,000 Hours of full load service life at 105ºc – by comparison the original now suspect non-Japanese capacitors averaged a mere 2,000 Hours of service life at mostly 85ºc"

Seem that vu+ choosed cheep chinese caps. Thinking of not to buy anymore their boxes.

A lot of electronics have a part or parts that are designed to fail after a certain period of time. It would not cost a lot more if they bought better parts
in bulk, but there is more money for the makers if people keep buying new after a few years. I watch a program where they did it with the old light bulbs that were designed to fail after a number hours. and it would not cost them much more to make them last longer. And their were collusion with other manufacturers to keep to to these specs, because it made more money.

02-06-17, 15:31
My DUO2 is getting a bit flaky. Random lock-ups even in standby in the middle of the night. I've reflashed numerous times with different images and disabled some plugins that I thought might be suspect (eg EPGimport). Still flaky :(

Now I think it may be a hardware problem and, as it is over three years old, faulty capacitors are the likely cause. I successfully changed the faulty cap on my old DUO but do not have the skill to do all the changes required for the Duo2.

The professional repair by "moltensolder" mentioned above is a possibility - but is it worth £250? I can buy a new box for less than that!
Has anyone here had this repair done? Did it make the improvements claimed (including tuner sensitivity, picture quality and responsiveness)?

Should I go for the repair or not?
Is a repaired/modified Duo2 the best thing available for £250?
I do not feel the need for 4K UHD just yet and my fairly new 60" TV does not support it anyway.
Comments please.

Alec
02-06-17, 16:31
My DUO2 is getting a bit flaky. Random lock-ups even in standby in the middle of the night. I've reflashed numerous times with different images and disabled some plugins that I thought might be suspect (eg EPGimport). Still flaky :(

Now I think it may be a hardware problem and, as it is over three years old, faulty capacitors are the likely cause. I successfully changed the faulty cap on my old DUO but do not have the skill to do all the changes required for the Duo2.

The professional repair by "moltensolder" mentioned above is a possibility - but is it worth £250? I can buy a new box for less than that!
Has anyone here had this repair done? Did it make the improvements claimed (including tuner sensitivity, picture quality and responsiveness)?

Should I go for the repair or not?
Is a repaired/modified Duo2 the best thing available for £250?
I do not feel the need for 4K UHD just yet and my fairly new 60" TV does not support it anyway.
Comments please.

It is not worth it at that price. One should now be able to buy a secondhand box a lot cheaper.

02-06-17, 16:47
I'm sure I could pick up a second hand Duo2 for less, as you say. However, the caps on it are likely to fail soon as well, there would no warranty and there will be none of the alleged improvements the "moltensolder" repair offers. Furthermore, I'm disappointed in the picture quality of the Duo2. It is no where as good as my old Amiko2 (SH4 chip).

Is there another box out there with similar specs to the Duo2 but better picture quality and longevity for about the £250 mark?