PDA

View Full Version : Back up manager

Willmoore
26-05-15, 11:03
In back up manager there is an option to set up a daily back up - is this recommended ?

abu baniaz
26-05-15, 11:12
Please do not post in the guides section. The guides section is where people can find guides, not guidance.

There are no advantages to making a daily backup. Before upgrading image is a good idea though.

Rob van der Does
26-05-15, 11:48
i always have auto-daily backups for my mainbox. It's free, I can't see any disadvantage and whatever happens to the image, I can always flash and restore the most recent settings. it has been helpful for me on a number of occasions.

And indeed: as minimum set to auto-backup in the update process (although you might also consider an image backup before updating).

Willmoore
26-05-15, 12:39
I have set both image and back up manager to auto. I assume this automatically does a back up of both prior to any updates I may install.

jukkal
26-05-15, 15:46
In back up manager there is an option to set up a daily back up - is this recommended ?

When you have just purchased the receiver and are still getting familiar with VIX and its settings, it is indeed a good idea to have it do daily setting backups. That enables you to restore a recentish backup if you mess something up and can't figure out what was the setting that caused problems.
When you reach the point where you have mostly found the settings you like, and don't change them much any more, you may be comfortable with less frequent backups.
I have my box set for weekly backups, and also auto-backup before image updates.
For full image backups, I use monthly interval. I see no point doing it more often.
Also, when there's a new image that requires fresh flash without settings restoration, it's a good idea to do both full image backup and settings backup, to make it easy to restore to the previous version.
Unpacking the settings backup file and examining it in a pc and comparing with settings from the new image may give useful hints on the settings and some other things.

Willmoore
26-05-15, 17:38
Thanks for that jukkal I think I'll follow your advice.

abu baniaz
26-05-15, 18:21
Also, always a good idea to keep a backup image on USB stick. When away from home and receiver does not work, can be restored straight way.

Willmoore
26-05-15, 19:26
Also, always a good idea to keep a backup image on USB stick. When away from home and receiver does not work, can be restored straight way.

Not quite sure what that means.

Larry-G
26-05-15, 19:31
Not quite sure what that means.

He means that if the primary person responsible for the maintenance of the receiver is not present and it all goes tits up, even a trained chimp can use a image backup on a USB stick to restore it back to a full working state.

Willmoore
26-05-15, 19:39
I've told my wife what you called her :-)

skyster
27-05-15, 19:04
I've told my wife what you called her :-)

And mine.
:D

Excellent idea all the same If things go tits up.