PDA

View Full Version : Some example of the LCD screen settings for ET8500

Sicilian
23-05-15, 15:42
Been trying to photograph the LCD, very difficult to get decent photos though of the LCD in action.

Clabs
23-05-15, 16:31
Hi Sic - looks pretty good. Is the display hardware driven, or software like the Duo2?

I know this box is an unusual form factor but any chance of a mini-review eg how it stacks up performance wise against the likes of the Duo2 and Mut@nt - that sort of thing?

Cheers

Sicilian
23-05-15, 17:16
Hardware driven, its a live screen, not like the Duo2. Displays live information. So far impressed with it. Will post more soon.

Sicilian
23-05-15, 17:18
Screen can also be set to clone Live TV, therefore show exactly whats being outputted on TV.

twol
23-05-15, 17:27
Hi Sic - looks pretty good. Is the display hardware driven, or software like the Duo2?

I know this box is an unusual form factor but any chance of a mini-review eg how it stacks up performance wise against the likes of the Duo2 and Mut@nt - that sort of thing?

Cheers
I have had this box since January and have to say best box I have had (sold my ET8000 & 10000) and bought a 2nd. It,s different, smaller, has (in my view) better engineering, so 2 knurled screws to remove the top (5 secs) to reach the internals and a slideout/pullout for a 2.5 hard disk.
Then you have the full colour LCD... You can watch TV on it (I have seen somewhere an attachable sound system through the optical out) but obviously not from too far away! But you can also choose from multiple LCD skins available to display very viewable information.
Plugin tuners (Samsung) are almost the same as the ET8000/ET10000 and hence Mutant.
Doesn,t have hardware transcoding which is probably the only draw back for some people.
But also some people will hate it as it looks different from anything else. :)
Also has the same easy to use Xtrend remote.

Sicilian
23-05-15, 17:31
But some people will hate it as it looks different from anything else. :)

I was concerned I might, but actaully really like the look, even lady friend likes it, so thats a plus :)

Imo pictures of it dont do it justice, looks nice in the flesh and more compact than it looks in pictures.

twol
23-05-15, 17:33
I was concerned I might, but actaully really like the look, even lady friend likes it, so thats a plus :)

Imo pictures of it dont do it justice, looks nice in the flesh and more compact than it looks in pictures.
What I also didn,t say is that my 1st box took a hell of a beating whilst I learnt to build an image for it with frequent power off/on ..... And touch wood has so far been totally resilient

Clabs
25-05-15, 21:19
Thanks for the replies, Sic & twol.

It does look a lot bigger in the pictures but just took my tape measure out and was surprised at just how compact it is )

Another quick couple of questions, chaps - if you don't mind?

How tight is the HDD bay? I am wondering if there is space for a 2Tb drive to slot in there because these are a bit taller than 1Tb drives.
Also wondering how hot the tuners run compared with something like a Duo2 (which run extremely hot).

Cheers, Mark

Flyingpig
25-05-15, 21:45
What is hardware transcoding and why would I miss it...

I love my ET 9000 and when I have to upgrade I will deffo buy another Xtrend and the 8500 looks good.

pembo
25-05-15, 21:51
photos of it makes it look huge!

Sicilian
26-05-15, 05:33

It does look a lot bigger in the pictures but just took my tape measure out and was surprised at just how compact it is )

How tight is the HDD bay? I am wondering if there is space for a 2Tb drive to slot in there because these are a bit taller than 1Tb drives.
Also wondering how hot the tuners run compared with something like a Duo2 (which run extremely hot).

Cheers, Mark

Not noticed any heat at all, will check this evening. Also check the HDD tray.

Sicilian
26-05-15, 05:33
photos of it makes it look huge!

Yep, the photo's are mis-leading.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET8500-2x-DVB-S2?filter_name=ET8500

COMPACT DESIGN, ONLY 180MM (W) X 83MM (H) X 200MM (D)

pembo
26-05-15, 07:10
photos of it next to an xbox 360 (for example) might put it in perspective

twol
26-05-15, 08:15

Cheers, Mark
In a photo it is very diificult without a comparison alongside to show the size (and for some reason nobody has done that). From the front it is significantly smaller, although there is "more" behind :) than a typical receiver.... But the black and silver looks real good.
The HDD holder only takes 2.5 and I guess a slimline drive such as from seagate .... I remember somebody tried an old HDD andit was too thick for the holder to go back in .... But that the only time I have seen any issues. Mine run pretty cool (with a 500GB drive) and with the fan not normally in use. ( at least I don,t hear it going).... So I wouldn,t expect a 2TB to be an issue.... But you will have to try it!

I only run with 2 tuners in my receivers but the box is certainly not hotter than the ET8000/10000 receivers I had before. The tuners are basically the same Samsung plugins.

twol
26-05-15, 08:20
Yep, the photo's are mis-leading.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET8500-2x-DVB-S2?filter_name=ET8500

COMPACT DESIGN, ONLY 180MM (W) X 83MM (H) X 200MM (D)
Sicilian.... Wish I could type as fast as you..... By the time i get to answer you have responded about 5 mins before!

Flyingpig
26-05-15, 22:38
Can someone explain the transcoding and how that would affect this box, or the user, and their experience.

Thanks,

FP.

nsw9154
26-05-15, 22:42
Looking like another one on my wish list :eek: our lass will kill me :D

Huevos
26-05-15, 23:20
I want one. Can you post a picture with a mobile next to it for scale?

Sicilian
27-05-15, 13:14
I want one. Can you post a picture with a mobile next to it for scale?

Yea will do tonight.

twol
28-05-15, 15:15
So here 2 pics of my office ET8500 with Windows Nokia 925, Ipad Mini and Xtrend remote alongside
So Ipad mini slightly narrower and longer than ET8500 and remote is also slightly longer

Lurch
25-06-16, 11:55

https://youtu.be/ZdI9tqkEvF8?t=60

I think the room is there internally but the access slot at the side might be the issue. You might be able to modify it slightly or insert the drive from inside.

Willmoore
04-07-16, 22:56
What is (or can be ) displayed on the lcd when your just watching tv ?

Sicilian
05-07-16, 06:02
I'll takes some up to date pics. Imo the best most useful display there is. Will post back later.

Sicilian
05-07-16, 06:31
Here's some pics.

Default.
Default with Picon.
Default Picon only.

Front display can also be set to clone live TV.

Willmoore
05-07-16, 13:23
Thanks for that. Price and spec seem very good but just not sure about the display. I think it might be be a bit distracting. I'm sure i saw somewhere it showing an analogue clock - red hands on a black background that looked pretty cool but can't remember where.

rossi2000
05-07-16, 14:37
there is analogue clock one aswell, but only in standby.
it has a white face with red hands iirc.

twol
05-07-16, 15:07
There is apart from switching from the skin to display the TV picture, the ability to power off the Lcd screen completely in the settings.... so,if you find it distracting turn it off, or.........
I have to admit I cribbed the code off another image to dim the Lcd screen, so I display the current channel settings for 5 mins (user selectable) and then it dims (In my case to black, again user selectable) giving you another more constructive alternative . Obviously if the channel changes or you use the remote to check/change anything it then wakes up to display the skin info :)

So in summary, you can switch it off, display the current TV picture, display upto 4 skins plus standby clock, or in my case automatically dim the display as you wish.

Sicilian
05-07-16, 19:23
I use default, imo best and most usable colour screen on any receiver currently available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicilian
05-07-16, 20:12
Price and spec seem very good but just not sure about the display.

Default or default with Picon isn't distracting at all imo. Used to think the same.

kryton
06-07-16, 00:08
Im really tempted to sell my et8000 and buy 1 of these.
Most important question for me is does it support transcoding?
Because ive started traveling alot and transcoding could be useful to me....or a slingbox.
Edit: Sorry im at work and only glanced over the thread, just seen the post that says it doesnt have hardware transcoding.

Still a very nice looking receiver though with an impressive LCD display.

kryton
06-07-16, 00:21
Can someone explain the transcoding and how that would affect this box, or the user, and their experience.

Thanks,

FP.

Transcoding is if you want to watch tv from your receiver when your away from home on your mobile phone / tablet etc.

twol
06-07-16, 06:20
Im really tempted to sell my et8000 and buy 1 of these.
Most important question for me is does it support transcoding?
Because ive started traveling alot and transcoding could be useful to me....or a slingbox.
Edit: Sorry im at work and only glanced over the thread, just seen the post that says it doesnt have hardware transcoding.

Still a very nice looking receiver though with an impressive LCD display.
I had both ET8000 + 10000 and transcoding aside (which I never used), although the ET8000 is a great, solid as a rock receiver, the ET8500 is (in my view) a much better designed receiver, with slide in HDD, great useable Lcd, upto 4 tuners with very easy access to the internals and multiboot (which for me) is a great undersold feature providing at minimum a backup image if "someone" screws up the latest greatest version:)