PDA

View Full Version : Picons on usb

Willmoore
20-05-15, 10:26
Installed new the Hades image and used the conflouence skin. I have now added the MK picons and the whole set up looks superb (excellent job by all concerned)

I have installed the MK picons on my HD (works perfectly well ) but have since read this may not be the best place and should put them on a usb stick. So i have formated a stick to FAT32 and loaded the MK picons on to it.

I have the following questions, if someone would be so kind to answer.

Do I switch the box off prior to inserting the stick ?
Do I delete the picons off my HD ?
Does the box automatically recognise the usb and load the picons or do I have to 'point' the box at it ?

twol
20-05-15, 11:05
I would remove from HD (or flash), reboot and then the system will find the Picons on the USB stick - after that automatic.

Willmoore
20-05-15, 21:02
Should the picons be in a folder called 'picons' on the usb ? at present they are stored loose on the usb.

Stanman
20-05-15, 21:05
The folder should be called picon

dude1
20-05-15, 23:36
Once you have your picons set up on a usb you might as well run your epg from it as well. Saves the hdd.

You just need to go into epg settings & change epg location to /media/usb.

:)

abu baniaz
20-05-15, 23:51
Saves the hdd.

How is this?

judge
21-05-15, 00:34
How is this?

Utter nonsense.

abu baniaz
21-05-15, 00:44
I was trying to get him to provide reasoning for his statement. Any misunderstandings could then be corrected.

dude1
21-05-15, 08:06
Utter nonsense.

I was trying to get him to provide reasoning for his statement. Any misunderstandings could then be corrected.

I thought having the picons as well as the epg on a usb stick stopped the hdd having to spin up every time either of them were accessed.

My mistake for trying to help if I'm wrong.

abu baniaz
21-05-15, 08:49
Stored EPG is accessed at startup, shutdown and if you manually load it. Rest of time, it is kept in RAM. As such, there is no constant reading of HDD for EPG.

No need to apologise, it is a learning curve for everyone. Please continue to afford assistance to others.

If you had not posted and these posts were not made, there would be no sharing of knowledge.

Willmoore
21-05-15, 09:01
Is there a 'best' place' to store it ? mine is currently set to internal flash

dude1
21-05-15, 09:19
Stored EPG is accessed at startup, shutdown and if you manually load it. Rest of time, it is kept in RAM. As such, there is no constant reading of HDD for EPG.

No need to apologise, it is a learning curve for everyone. Please continue to afford assistance to others.

If you had not posted and these posts were not made, there would be no sharing of knowledge.

Thanks for explaining the difference, I apprecaite it. I've had mine setup for the last couple of years with both picons & epg on the usb. So the advice is only to have the picons on usb but having both there is no disadvantage either.

Andy_Hazza
21-05-15, 13:01
Is there a 'best' place' to store it ? mine is currently set to internal flash

What is stored to internal flash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willmoore
21-05-15, 13:49
Sorry, Andy - epg.

Andy_Hazza
21-05-15, 15:19
Sorry, Andy - epg.

Noooooooooooooo. I would advise and change it to your HDD. Firstly I would delete your EPG via the settings in EPG, then change the directory from internal flash to your HDD, then green button to save then exit out and press blue button, and run CrossEPG downloader to populate your 7 days again, then I assume you will have CrossEPG to run everyday thereafter.

rossi2000
21-05-15, 15:24
i store all my stuff on a usb pen, i dont store anything in flash, i wonder why some boxes come with so much flash, its not needed.

bellejt
21-05-15, 15:27
crossepg needs to be run only once every 7 days.I keep both piconsets in Flash (on DUO2 ) and EPG on usb stick.Easyer for me to copy it from one box to another in windows without FTP.

Rob van der Does
21-05-15, 16:29
crossepg needs to be run only once every 7 days.
Then you run out of EPG very fast, as most EPG is only for 7 days. Running it on a daily basis is the best option to always have 7 days of EPG available.

On most boxes picons in flash is just fine as there is plenty of flash. USB is also an option. HDD is the worst option, as that can lead to very slow zapping (HDD needs to spin up for a picon).
EPG.dat in flash is not recommended, as it sometimes gets corrupt and can grow extremely big. HDD (or USB) is fine for EPG.

bellejt
21-05-15, 16:37
should have been 6 days.Typo.Never a problem then because my recording programs are in autotimer.I also have to delete epg before updating because Dutch channels give a dubble entree on starting time.
Ps : soory to cut in but is there a possibility to delete and do an update automaticaly ?

Willmoore
22-05-15, 08:13
Then you run out of EPG very fast, as most EPG is only for 7 days. Running it on a daily basis is the best option to always have 7 days of EPG available.

On most boxes picons in flash is just fine as there is plenty of flash. USB is also an option. HDD is the worst option, as that can lead to very slow zapping (HDD needs to spin up for a picon).
EPG.dat in flash is not recommended, as it sometimes gets corrupt and can grow extremely big. HDD (or USB) is fine for EPG.

I have a VU+ Solo2 - I know how to put picons on the HDD (not recommended I know) and on a usb but what are the steps for putting the picons in flash ?

abu baniaz
22-05-15, 08:43
Place "picon" folder in internal memory, do not put in any folders. Delete other picon folders.

Willmoore
22-05-15, 09:56
Stupid question - how do i access internal memory ?

bellejt
22-05-15, 10:04
with FTP program or a shortcut in windows to the IPaddress of your box.

Willmoore
22-05-15, 10:33
I'm using Filezilla but when looking on the remote side I can not see where to put it.

Andy_Hazza
22-05-15, 16:37
When you logon to lets say for instance you are using filezilla, you will see all the folders on the right hand side, that is the root so just ftp your "picon" folder to the root. [emoji106]🏼