PDA

View Full Version : external hard drive FTP

nightmare911
16-05-15, 10:40
Hi,
I currently have a duo2 which seems to have a problem whenever I FTP a movie to my hdd (its not internal, its an external USB 2.0). The video playback tends to be laggy and freezes the duo2 for a few secs when I stop playing the video. However when I transfer the movie via USB from the PC its absolute fine.
I tried to search all over the forum but didn't find anyone else having this problem.

P.s. if you want the know the format its NTFS

casuk
16-05-15, 10:44
Format it to hdd fat32,

ja5
16-05-15, 11:00
if you record from your duo2 does it play back ok??

nightmare911
16-05-15, 11:28
if you record from your duo2 does it play back ok??

Yes it record and plays back fine. It also plays movies fine when I transfer it via USB but doesnt work when transferring via ftp

ja5
16-05-15, 11:43
Yes it record and plays back fine. It also plays movies fine when I transfer it via USB but doesnt work when transferring via ftp

thats good have you tried restarting duo2 before playing??

what about ftp something you have recorded to your pc and restart and then ftp it back does that play ok?

Least your know if its file problem

nightmare911
16-05-15, 11:51
thats good have you tried restarting duo2 before playing??

what about ftp something you have recorded to your pc and restart and then ftp it back does that play ok?

Least your know if its file problem

I have tried recording a program than transferring it on the pc than ftp back to the hdd and the problem is still there.

ja5
16-05-15, 12:50
so no matter if you restart or disconnect the hdd it will never play after ftp ??

what ftp you using ?

nightmare911
16-05-15, 13:09
so no matter if you restart or disconnect the hdd it will never play after ftp ??

what ftp you using ?

im tried both dcc and filzilla.

no other files work its just the file i transfered via ftp that doesnt work even with a reboot.

ja5
16-05-15, 13:20
cant say iv seen this before, so if you connect the hdd directly to the pc will it play?

other than that maybe format might help

nightmare911
16-05-15, 15:31
cant say iv seen this before, so if you connect the hdd directly to the pc will it play?

other than that maybe format might help

i have tried formatting many times but this problem is still there

ja5
16-05-15, 16:01
i have tried formatting many times but this problem is still there

in what format? ext3 ext 4?

what about trying transfer at slower speed or the file you ithat is the problem after ftping ftp it back to the usb pen and see if it works. or upload it somewhere and il check it my end.

i took my hard drive out is usb case and stuck it inside my duo lol

birdman
17-05-15, 00:53
Hi,
I currently have a duo2 which seems to have a problem whenever I FTP a movie to my hddWhat format is this movie in? (Ideally both the file type and the video/audio stream formats.)

nightmare911
17-05-15, 09:59
in what format? ext3 ext 4?

what about trying transfer at slower speed or the file you ithat is the problem after ftping ftp it back to the usb pen and see if it works. or upload it somewhere and il check it my end.

i took my hard drive out is usb case and stuck it inside my duo lol
Its formatted as NTFS

@birdman ive tried avi mp4 mkv ts

Andy_Hazza
17-05-15, 10:03
Format the hdd to Ext4. Initialise the hdd through ViX, and try a film then. I play avi, mp4, mkv container films with no issues on all my boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdman
17-05-15, 10:15
Format the hdd to Ext4.Which might present problems for the OP when connecting the drive to a Windows PC.
It's difficult to see why the file-system format should have any affect, given that it only needs to be read at <1MB/s anyway.

ja5
17-05-15, 11:51
Which might present problems for the OP when connecting the drive to a Windows PC.
It's difficult to see why the file-system format should have any affect, given that it only needs to be read at <1MB/s anyway.

im guessing the slower speed didnt help,

Yes correct windows will have a problem but you can still use ftp to copy stuff over.

Or partion the hard so 1st ntfs and 2nd ext4 then see if you still have a problem

nightmare911
17-05-15, 14:07
I removed the HDD from its case and installed it inside the receiver. formatted it to ext4 and now everything seems to work refectly. I guess NTFS might not work properly with ftp

ja5
17-05-15, 14:19
I removed the HDD from its case and installed it inside the receiver. formatted it to ext4 and now everything seems to work refectly. I guess NTFS might not work properly with ftp

well glad you got it working :thumbsup: only way too tell is to partition and test, could also rule out usb side of things.

:cool:

birdman
18-05-15, 01:06
I guess NTFS might not work properly with ftpDifficult to see why.
FTP isn't at all interested in the underlying file-system (and doesn't even know what it is) - it is just copying a file to the system.