PDA

View Full Version : Kinect?

marty
12-12-10, 14:33
Anyone here got a Kinect for their xbox?
If so what are they like ?
Advice/comments ?

acco
12-12-10, 16:19
I got 1 but I'm going to have to wait until kids open their Christmas presents, though I've been very tempted to have a quick go.

Stanman
12-12-10, 16:38
So a store demo and it wasn't too bad, I own PS3 so unlikely to buy one.

marty
12-12-10, 17:02
I got 1 but I'm going to have to wait until kids open their Christmas presents, though I've been very tempted to have a quick go.

Same situation M8 :)

Stanman, I saw a store demo too but it's always better to ask advice from someone who has one rather than someone who is flogging one ;)

pooface
12-12-10, 17:11
Have been thinking about getting one for xmas too. But don't think I'll get the use out of it for the cost of it. Plus, I use xbox in a box room/study that I would have limited movement. Don't wanna relocate the 360 to living room, so will just go without :-p

Sent by my phone

Ojustaboo
16-12-10, 10:12
I brought one for my sons Christmas present.

Then I read up about it on the net (always good to do it in that order lol)

He needs 6ft from the kinect to where he stands for it to work properly. To enable him to do this involved a major move around of his bedroom. Luckily this has now been done and have mounted a thin shelf 6ft up on the wall (optimum height for small rooms) for the kinect to sit on., so come Christmas day I can stick to eating and drinking.

Am sure there will be some pretty frustrated parents on Christmas day.

pooface
16-12-10, 10:23
I brought one for my sons Christmas present.

Then I read up about it on the net (always good to do it in that order lol)

He needs 6ft from the kinect to where he stands for it to work properly. To enable him to do this involved a major move around of his bedroom. Luckily this has now been done and have mounted a thin shelf 6ft up on the wall (optimum height for small rooms) for the kinect to sit on., so come Christmas day I can stick to eating and drinking.

Am sure there will be some pretty frustrated parents on Christmas day.

Can you post the link to where you read that please (or if it's a forum, pm it to me ;))

Might be able to get some use out of it then... What about sitting down? Can it be used well sitting down?

rockerduck
16-12-10, 11:25
Maybe one day we'll be able to zap our VU+ channels with a a finger snap
Kinect >open source< side (http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/15/primesenses-openni-provides-the-best-kinect-drivers-yet-from-s/)

Ojustaboo
16-12-10, 13:34
Can you post the link to where you read that please (or if it's a forum, pm it to me ;))

Might be able to get some use out of it then... What about sitting down? Can it be used well sitting down?

It's a sticky on the official MS xbox forum, I THINK it's OK to post a link on here as it's a publicly accessible MS forum rather than a privately owned one?

Sticky on their Kinect setup and placement section

Kinect Setup: Setting up and troubleshooting your play space

http://forums.xbox.com/34833727/ShowPost.aspx

Help! Kinect is saying I am too close to the sensor, what should I do?!?”

A: No worries, this is just Kinect telling you that it can no longer see you as you are too close. in some cases you will find that you do not really have anywhere to go. In cases like this you will really want to look at your sensor height. When playing in a smaller play space you want to err on the side of a higher sensor, as opposed to a lower placement. Placing the sensor around 6 feet (1.8m) would really be the best place to start

And in the sticky called Kinect Setup; Ideal Kinect Sensor placement Q/A.

your ideal play space is between; 6’ (1.8m) and 10’ (3m) from the sensor with the width of the play space being roughly the same as the distance you are from Kinect. Ideally you would also not have direct sunlight on either the sensor, or across your play space.

marty
16-12-10, 14:14
My living room is approx 6.5M X 4M :)
Just a matter of putting the coffee table to one side and we're good to go ;)

The only problem with that is I won't be able to watch telly :(

cozmo
16-12-10, 16:30
i have a kinect and have all 19 games so far the Microsoft games are very very good its best movement controller out there i have had a wii and a ps3 move and the kinect is the best by far dance central is unreal only down side i can say to it is you need alot of room and the 3 party games not made by M$ just don't have the same feel to them but then it is new and im 100% sure this is just the start anyways i would 100% recommend for family fun

Cozmo

marty
16-12-10, 16:40
I have 5 or 6 of the games, my daughter 'tested' Dance central :) tis good!!!!! I will have to wait until Xmas to see what the other ones are like (must get some more DVD-DL's too ;) )
I hope they bring out a WWE game sometime :p

silverfox0786
16-12-10, 16:41
i got my wii it does me so there :lol3:

mark1500
17-12-10, 00:00
ive just bought 1, and all i can say its fecking brill, but my body is aching with all the jumping around im doing. get 1 and u wont b disappointed. mark

rockerduck
17-12-10, 18:14
really many apps coming for kinect
Here is a trailer (put a bithdate to be over 18+):

http://multiplayer.it/video/kinect-per-x360/kinect-trailer-dellhack-sexy.hi/
:attention::lol3:

pooface
17-12-10, 18:55
really many apps coming for kinect
Here is a trailer (put a bithdate to be over 18+):

http://multiplayer.it/video/kinect-per-x360/kinect-trailer-dellhack-sexy.hi/
:attention::lol3:

lol, looks nice, but what can you do with it apart from virtually touching someone up! If this doesn't get the video games people who go up in arms about stuff like manhunt etc out moaning about it, then wtf has the world come to?! This is just as likely to get people going out raping people etc because they'll be sexually frustrated from all the touching but not action! Well, it's as likely to do that, as you are to go out and kill someone by pretending to kill someone in a game!

But then again, just one of my opinions that means f all :( hehe :lol3: