PDA

View Full Version : Which router to get??????

joysleep1
11-05-15, 14:06
Hey Guys

I am in the market for a new router because i realised that my Asus RT-N56U got hacked and i can not upgrade the firmware. So i have packed it away and gone back to the old plusnet router which is pants. I did like the asus router tho. Also it had the feature where you can set your own private dns where you put your own usename and it ends with .asuscomm.com Which allowed me to transcode on the fly.
What router do you Guys have and it has to be gigabit speeds with dual band. Can any1 recommend a decent router up to 100 pounds.
Not sure if i should trust asus again.

Cheers

judge
11-05-15, 14:13
It didn't get hacked, you opened it to the outside world.
Bit of a difference.

joysleep1
11-05-15, 14:16
Bit of a difference.

No it was actually hacked. Many other asus routers and other models were to. It was only an asus issue. Look it up.
I was not even able to update the firmware.

joysleep1
11-05-15, 14:18
Bit of a difference.

Have a look at these Judge before you just assume everything

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/got-an-asus-router-someone-on-your-network-can-probably-hack-it/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/asus-routers-vulnerable-to-network-attack-exploit-published/

judge
11-05-15, 14:59
Ah, my mistake. Thought you had one of those 'box hacked' threads open, sorry for assuming.

joysleep1
11-05-15, 15:17
So anyone willing to share what network router they have. Would really appreciate it.
Anyone know how good the netgear nighthawk routers are?

johnhoe
11-05-15, 15:44
Joysleep1... It might be worth following these patch instructions from Asus. As I suspect it's not just Asus routers that are vulnerable if given local network access. After all you could be hacked again even with a new router. Worth a try?

"The good news is that ASUS has been alerted to this problem and has added an undocumented fix to the latest version of the firmware for each affected router. The bad news, of course, is that the very flaw ASUS is trying to patch makes it dangerous to download the updated firmware.

Longenecker recommends downloading firmware directly from ASUS, which should mitigate any risks, although the ASUS website does not itself use HTTPS — which means anyone whose router has already been hacked could end up being redirected to a bogus ASUS site.

To be certain you're getting the real thing, first find a friend with a different brand of router. Then use one of her computers to browse to the ASUS website and find the support page for your model of ASUS router. Download the ZIP compressed archive of the latest firmware, making sure you get the version that matches your version of Windows.

Don't extract the files from the archive right away. Instead, copy the archive to a flash drive, take it to your main Windows computer and extract the archive there. Then open the ASUS router administrative software on your computer, click Advanced Setting, click Firmware Upgrade, browse to the extracted files from the flash drive and hit Upload. "

By the way:-
Version 3.0.0.4.376.3754
Description ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3754
-Fixed infosvr security issue.
-Fixed Cross-site request forgery security issue

They are now on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4850 beta

pembo
11-05-15, 15:56
The vulnerability you listed can only be exercised if someone else is on your network already, so either something else was compromised, or your Wi-Fi is open!

Milamber44
11-05-15, 16:33
^^^ +1 I wouldn't trade my RT AC68U for a different brand. The [comparitive] simplicity of VPN Setup at the router level makes this a user friendly piece of electronics.

joysleep1
11-05-15, 16:57
Joysleep1... It might be worth following these patch instructions from Asus. As I suspect it's not just Asus routers that are vulnerable if given local network access. After all you could be hacked again even with a new router. Worth a try?

"The good news is that ASUS has been alerted to this problem and has added an undocumented fix to the latest version of the firmware for each affected router. The bad news, of course, is that the very flaw ASUS is trying to patch makes it dangerous to download the updated firmware.

Longenecker recommends downloading firmware directly from ASUS, which should mitigate any risks, although the ASUS website does not itself use HTTPS — which means anyone whose router has already been hacked could end up being redirected to a bogus ASUS site.

To be certain you're getting the real thing, first find a friend with a different brand of router. Then use one of her computers to browse to the ASUS website and find the support page for your model of ASUS router. Download the ZIP compressed archive of the latest firmware, making sure you get the version that matches your version of Windows.

Don't extract the files from the archive right away. Instead, copy the archive to a flash drive, take it to your main Windows computer and extract the archive there. Then open the ASUS router administrative software on your computer, click Advanced Setting, click Firmware Upgrade, browse to the extracted files from the flash drive and hit Upload. "

Version 3.0.0.4.376.3754

I tried doing this but it didn't work. The router has now become useless.
But the reports suggest that only Asus brand routers were broken in to

joysleep1
11-05-15, 17:00

Version 3.0.0.4.376.3754

Well I've requested a refund.. Just thinking what other router to buy

joysleep1
11-05-15, 17:01
The vulnerability you listed can only be exercised if someone else is on your network already, so either something else was compromised, or your Wi-Fi is open!

My wifi is definitely not open. My firewall was turned on. I noticed the other day that it was turned off.

johnhoe
11-05-15, 18:09
^^^ +1 I wouldn't trade my RT AC68U for a different brand. The [comparitive] simplicity of VPN Setup at the router level makes this a user friendly piece of electronics.
I agree. I have an RT-AC56U myself.
I would make the point that if you let any hacker have local network access to many well known makes of router including Dlink and Netgear:- that unless you constantly update the firmware from day 1, it is entirely possible that these makes of router could also be hacked. Myself I wouldn't give up. You know also that you can download a special Asus firmware tool that can "recover" firmware. I think it is simply a matter of putting the router into the "recovery" mode from resetting a given number of seconds. Might give that a try...

birdman
11-05-15, 18:45
I tried doing this but it didn't work. The router has now become useless. Really? I had no problem updating the firmware on my RT-N66U when this was fixed (and killed infosvr beforehand).
There have been two further updates to RT-N56U firmware since then too.

joysleep1
11-05-15, 20:37
So asus are still a brand to go with when buying a router. another issue with my old 56 is the 5ghz range was pretty poor. Like on the same floor in my brothers room, he would get really poor connection. The bathroom was like that too.LOL
There is no antenna. I think that could be the reason why

pembo
11-05-15, 21:33
5Hz doesn't have as good a range. You need antenna's such as those on the AC68 to improve reception.
The netgear nighthawk is also a good router. Basically, as with a lot of things (but not all!), you tend to get what you pay for.

joysleep1
11-05-15, 22:25
5Hz doesn't have as good a range. You need antenna's such as those on the AC68 to improve reception.
The netgear nighthawk is also a good router. Basically, as with a lot of things (but not all!), you tend to get what you pay for.

hmm
Do netgear have that feature where you can make a private vpn thingy like you can do with asus.?

joysleep1
11-05-15, 23:35
Really? I had no problem updating the firmware on my RT-N66U when this was fixed (and killed infosvr beforehand).
There have been two further updates to RT-N56U firmware since then too.

I'm actually thinking about getting this router. Would you recommend it? How is the wireless range.

birdman
11-05-15, 23:50
I'm actually thinking about getting this router. Would you recommend it? How is the wireless range.There were two routers mentioned in the post you replied to, but if you mean the RT-N66U I've been very pleased with it. I got it to replace an Edimax BR-6475ND and it made a big improvement. I now run the Edimax as a Wifi extender in another room, so I have no problem with coverage around the house, although I don't know how large your house is, nor what your walls are made of, so your mileage may vary.

pembo
12-05-15, 00:20
I believe the netgear does have VPN, though I've not got one so can't vouch for it.

cosie
12-05-15, 09:58
I have a netgear N300.very easy to setup a vpn.you can also use an iPhone app with it for various jobs.a fairly basic router with a few extras[emoji2]

Silent
12-05-15, 10:05
I have an Asus RT-N66U running Tomato Shibby firmware and bought my dad an RT-AC87U and loaded on Merlin firmware. The AC87U is a beast but the signal strength isn't as good as I expected. If you have a large area to cover I wouldn't recommend it, but for a small-medium area it's great.

joysleep1
12-05-15, 13:06
I have an Asus RT-N66U running Tomato Shibby firmware and bought my dad an RT-AC87U and loaded on Merlin firmware. The AC87U is a beast but the signal strength isn't as good as I expected. If you have a large area to cover I wouldn't recommend it, but for a small-medium area it's great.

Did you have an issue with this Asus hack? . I didn't know about using different firmwares on routers. I was just using the basic one.