PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] To Flash or not to Flash, that is the question?

Piranha
06-05-15, 11:28
...... whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortitude.....

OR, just do a fresh flash rather than an online update (Software Update in ViX)........

I am certain that I am not alone when considering the above, in that a Software Update, in my (limited) understanding, does not include updated drivers for a particular box type, should they form part of the new ViX build. It seems possible for one to unwittingly carry on with Software Updates ad nauseum without actually including new firmware.

There is absolutely no objection to being corrected in my assumption, I merely wish to understand the potential differences between flashing a new image (with or without restore of settings) and carrying on ad-infinitum with Software Update.

The ViX team invariably advises when a fresh image flash without restore is reccomended for a major change to the whole image, or, when appropriate, for a particular box type - but this information is only available to those of us who frequent the ViX Support Forum and/or the other sites ViX ascribes to.

Is it even remotely possible to include some functionality into the Software Update routine that could advise users as to whether or not to flash the new build or continue with the update? This would, of course, be box-type dependent (presumably a pull-down menu of supported box types?) and I haven't a clue as to how this could be achieved!

Do not expect a verbose response from the ViX team, a mere 'Good idea, we'll look into it' OR 'You have got to be joking!' will suffice!

judge
06-05-15, 11:39
...... whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortitude.....

OR, just do a fresh flash rather than an online update (Software Update in ViX)........

I am certain that I am not alone when considering the above, in that a Software Update, in my (limited) understanding, does not include updated drivers for a particular box type, should they form part of the new ViX build. It seems possible for one to unwittingly carry on with Software Updates ad nauseum without actually including new firmware.

There is absolutely no objection to being corrected in my assumption, I merely wish to understand the potential differences between flashing a new image (with or without restore of settings) and carrying on ad-infinitum with Software Update.

The ViX team invariably advises when a fresh image flash without restore is reccomended for a major change to the whole image, or, when appropriate, for a particular box type - but this information is only available to those of us who frequent the ViX Support Forum and/or the other sites ViX ascribes to.

Is it even remotely possible to include some functionality into the Software Update routine that could advise users as to whether or not to flash the new build or continue with the update? This would, of course, be box-type dependent (presumably a pull-down menu of supported box types?) and I haven't a clue as to how this could be achieved!

Do not expect a verbose response from the ViX team, a mere 'Good idea, we'll look into it' OR 'You have got to be joking!' will suffice!
Think you've answered your own question if you re-read your own post?

LbCwby
06-05-15, 20:54
Also, when a main image ceases to be maintained, there will be no updates available anyway - so ... no ad-infinitum
If someone would not check this VIX site, they are just stuck on the last image available for that line, like Apollo now.