PDA

View Full Version : New Satellite Receiver Box

zebide71
05-05-15, 20:30
Hi all

I currently have the Skybox F5s and it is infuriating to say the least. I am now looking to upgrade.

The main thing I am after is the ability to record a programme whilst watching a different channel. (currently I have to watch what I am recording, and it is hit and miss whether it records things you set the timer for)
Also, I want a remote control that I can use without having to stand on one leg, waving my arm around trying to get it to talk to the box.

I have done some research and the VuSolo 2 and the Golden Interstar XSPEED LX2 look good although there is £100 difference between the two (the Interstar being the cheaper of the two.

Questions I have are:
1) Can you record one programme whilst watching another on these boxes?
2) Are the remote controls on each of these any good, or infuriatingly useless?
3) Can I format an external hard drive to FAT32, and leave this plugged in to record (instead of a smaller USB stick I currently use)
4) What are the menu's like to navigate (EPG/Settings/etc) - I have read that the Interstar is slower - is it really bad?

Any other advice gratefully received

TIA
Zeb

judge
05-05-15, 20:39
Of the 2 you mention, I'd go for the Solo 2.
I'd also have a look at the ET8000, http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2

Andy_Hazza
05-05-15, 20:43
Hi all

I currently have the Skybox F5s and it is infuriating to say the least. I am now looking to upgrade.

The main thing I am after is the ability to record a programme whilst watching a different channel. (currently I have to watch what I am recording, and it is hit and miss whether it records things you set the timer for)
Also, I want a remote control that I can use without having to stand on one leg, waving my arm around trying to get it to talk to the box.

I have done some research and the VuSolo 2 and the Golden Interstar XSPEED LX2 look good although there is £100 difference between the two (the Interstar being the cheaper of the two.

Questions I have are:
1) Can you record one programme whilst watching another on these boxes?
2) Are the remote controls on each of these any good, or infuriatingly useless?
3) Can I format an external hard drive to FAT32, and leave this plugged in to record (instead of a smaller USB stick I currently use)
4) What are the menu's like to navigate (EPG/Settings/etc) - I have read that the Interstar is slower - is it really bad?

Any other advice gratefully received

TIA
Zeb

Out the 2 boxes you have mentioned I would go with the Vu+ Solo2. But also look at the Xtrend ET8000. Both these boxes will take an internal HDD, and I would recommend you do that, better than an external HDD imo.
1/ Yeah you can record one n watch another on these receivers.
2/ Vu+ remote is to die for, love em!
3/ HDD needs to be formatted to ext4 for recordings on these receivers, this is easy to setup when you initialise the HDD.
4/ OpenViX image (latest being Hades) is a fantastic image and offers one off recordings (timers), series link (autotimers), pause live tv (timeshift), abm (channel list maker), crossepg (7 day guide), the list just goes on n on.
And yes the LX2 is a slow box in comparison the Vu+ Solo2 and Xtrend ET8000. Worth that bit extra for a better user experience. [emoji106]🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joysleep1
06-05-15, 09:02
Out the 2 boxes you have mentioned I would go with the Vu+ Solo2. But also look at the Xtrend ET8000. Both these boxes will take an internal HDD, and I would recommend you do that, better than an external HDD imo.
1/ Yeah you can record one n watch another on these receivers.
2/ Vu+ remote is to die for, love em!
3/ HDD needs to be formatted to ext4 for recordings on these receivers, this is easy to setup when you initialise the HDD.
4/ OpenViX image (latest being Hades) is a fantastic image and offers one off recordings (timers), series link (autotimers), pause live tv (timeshift), abm (channel list maker), crossepg (7 day guide), the list just goes on n on.
And yes the LX2 is a slow box in comparison the Vu+ Solo2 and Xtrend ET8000. Worth that bit extra for a better user experience. [emoji106]��

Oh i did not know that hades is out. What happened to appollo. Anything good about hades that appollo can not do?

Andy_Hazza
06-05-15, 09:05
Its mainly under the hood but ABM just got better for me. Can now enable swap in sections bouquets not just main bouquets. [emoji106]🏼

joysleep1
06-05-15, 09:52
Its mainly under the hood but ABM just got better for me. Can now enable swap in sections bouquets not just main bouquets. [emoji106]🏼

What exactly do you mean by that andy?

nsw9154
06-05-15, 09:59
I prefer the Xtrend ET10k remote over the Solo2's (the ET8000 remote looks the same) it's the best remote control i have ever used all the main buttons are in the right place i love it

joysleep1
06-05-15, 10:19
I prefer the Xtrend ET10k remote over the Solo2's (the ET8000 remote looks the same) it's the best remote control i have ever used all the main buttons are in the right place i love it

I do like the ET10k remote. It does feel nice.
I also like the VU solo 2 remote too. I got used to it very nicely before i had the xtrend.

zebide71
06-05-15, 13:02

I think Andy and yourself may have misunderstood me regarding the remote, I can soon get used to the button placement. The problem is you have to wave your arm in the air like a chearleader as the f5s box must have a weak reciever, do either of these boxes suffer from weak reception from the remote control?

One other question, the vu solo2 I thought it was German, yet I have seen some advertised saying they are chinese. Can you confirm please.

judge
06-05-15, 14:00
One other question, the vu solo2 I thought it was German, yet I have seen some advertised saying they are chinese. Can you confirm please.
VU are manufactured in Korea, if it has any Chinese mention, it's likely a clone.

Andy_Hazza
06-05-15, 18:31
No waving of the Vu+ remotes trust me, they are quality.

Andy_Hazza
06-05-15, 18:34
Vu+ are German based yeah, but like anything these days, are manufactured in Korea.
Always buy from a trusted source, like WoS, never buy off eBay, too many clones about and if you get stung, its not nice.

zebide71
06-05-15, 19:57
No waving of the Vu+ remotes trust me, they are quality.

Thats good to hear Andy, and with regard to were I get the box from it will be WOS. Ive only ever read good things about them. They sound like a very good company to deal with. There is no way I would get one from the bay. They sell any old tat on there.

I know im guaranteed a original box from WOS not a clone.

Andy_Hazza
06-05-15, 19:58
Yeah Steff is excellent from WoS, superb company. [emoji106]🏼

alexk18
16-05-15, 10:59
hi guys, just a quick one on the same subject. looking to get a new twin receiver for under about £180. seen the miracle box premium, LX2, ET7500 and tm twin (already have one, so roughly know the speed of it). can anyone advise me on which to get? thanks a lot

Andy_Hazza
16-05-15, 11:08
Go for the TM Nano2 Super if you only wanting to spend £180. If you can push the boat out a bit more, look at the Xtrend ET8k or the Vu+ Solo2.

alexk18
16-05-15, 11:34
thanks mate, didn't even see it when checking. looks like a great box. ordered from the sponsor. if it has the latest vix flashed, will it have the new tm drivers, or would i have to do that?

Andy_Hazza
16-05-15, 11:38
If you opted for the ViX image to be installed on order, you will have the latest build (Hades 008) and yeah will have latest tm drivers installed.

alexk18
16-05-15, 11:44
perfect! thanks for all the help.

Rob van der Does
16-05-15, 11:48
Vu+ are German based yeah, but like anything these days, are manufactured in Korea.

VU+ is not German based at all.
It's a Korean company (Marusys) that does the development as well as the production. The RC's are made by Philips.

Andy_Hazza
16-05-15, 11:54
VU+ is not German based at all.
It's a Korean company (Marusys) that does the development as well as the production. The RC's are made by Philips.

Yeah I realised that Rob after. And when I tried to go back to edit the post wouldn't let me. [emoji13]
Soz.

zebide71
30-05-15, 18:29
Finally bought the vu+ solo 2 and I am very impressed with it so far. So much is changeable. Build quality is superb and excellent service from WOS.

Thank you for your help and advise. It was much appreciated. :)

I am trying to configure the epg, at the moment it does show programs by type ie entertainment, news, children etc, it is only showing the FTA channels ie BBC1 ITV etc, I want it to show channels like Gold and Gold+1 as well, is there a way I can get it to do this.