PDA

View Full Version : Auto or Manual Scanning a Sat options

Logicearl
29-04-15, 13:15
In order to get the latest channels (quite a few have changed in the last week or so), I just need to know if I should do a auto or manual scan. I'm guessing a maual scan as I only need 28.2 Eutelsat updating.

In manual scan [ Setup --> Service Searching --> Manual Scan ] I have the following:

Tuner A
Type of Scan - Predifined Transponder
Sat - 28.2 Eutelsat 28A/Astra 2E/2F
Transponder - 10788 V 22000 5/6
Network Scan - Yes or No ?
Clear Before Scan - yes or No ?
Only Free Scan - Yes or No ?

The last 3 options are defaulted to No, but I'm guessing that shouldn't be the options I will need.
Are the first three options correct, again I'm thinking they are for 28.2 Eutelsat.

Still learning.

TIA

Dark Cloud
29-04-15, 13:48
I use this setting:-

Tuner A
Type of Scan - Single Satellite
Sat - 28.2 Eutelsat 28A/Astra 2E/2F
Network Scan - Yes
Clear Before Scan - yes
Only Free Scan - No

timofee
29-04-15, 13:48
You must set Type of Scan - Single Satellite

But this is not good enough - you also must load a latest satellites.xml file, you have to load that using an FTP program.

The other settings could be
Network Scan - Yes
Clear Before Scan - yes
Only Free Scan - No
All options will work - depends what you what to achieve with a rescan.

I am posting this on the assumption you really want to learn. I am told if you use ABM is does all this for you - that's what the simple folk who don't want to learn use.

Logicearl
29-04-15, 14:47
Untill I update the Vu box to the latest Vix image, which won't be now till I get back from Ireland, next weekend, I thought I would have a go at scanning 28.2.
At present I am using a Channel list, which hasn't been updated since the 12 April because of all these channel changes which are predicted to carry on till the end of this week.

But this is not good enough - you also must load a latest satellites.xml file, you have to load that using an FTP program.

I use DBE to upload the channel lists, and also use DDC, so I can transfer files to and from the Vu.
Looking at etc --> tuxbox I can see the latest, well since the 12th April, the satellites.xml file. So I guess that covers that point?

So I guess I'm good to go ?

Andy_Hazza
29-04-15, 16:48
Use ABM, so much easier to maintain!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timofee
30-04-15, 13:57
There have so many transponder changes in the past two weeks you need the latest satellites.xml file which is easy to download from satellites-xml.org. Your 12th April version is out of date.

When you load it you need to follow the sequence - telnet init 4 > FTP copy in latest satellites.xml - telnet init 3. You can use DCC to do this.

Of course as said above, all the simple folk just use ABM, but they learn nothing, and they haven't a clue why using ABM solves the problem of out of date transponder lists.

Larry-G
30-04-15, 14:02
There have so many transponder changes in the past two weeks you need the latest satellites.xml file which is easy to download from satellites-xml.org. Your 12th April version is out of date.

When you load it you need to follow the sequence - telnet init 4 > FTP copy in latest satellites.xml - telnet init 3. You can use DCC to do this.

Of course as said above, all the simple folk just use ABM, but they learn nothing, and they haven't a clue why using ABM solves the problem of out of date transponder lists.

In ViX you normally dont need to update the satellites.xml file manually, we update that our selves directly from the above link, but with Apollo unlikely to be updated further you can load it manually if you want, but its generally not needed.

Logicearl
30-04-15, 14:52
Thanks to all.

abu baniaz
01-05-15, 00:00

Are you aware of what role satellites.xml plays?

It is used to validate the existence of the satellite for your tuner configuration/satellite availability. The transponders in it are used for scanning purposes. These are not used for blindscan/network scans. Satellites.xml is not used for tuning. You can quite happily replace it without stopping enigma2 first.

Tuning uses the entries in the lamedb file. The channel and transponder data are kept in this file.

You may be sceptical about this and reject what has been written here. However, I challenge you to the following:

Delete all the transponders from the satellites.xml from lets saty 28.2your chosen satellite. (Do not delete the name).
Are your channels working?
What happens when you try to perform a single satellite scan? Scanning not possible right?

Next challenge:
Put enigma to sleep with init 4 command. Delete lamedb file and restart receiver. This is kept in RAM hence the need to stop Enigma first. Confirm that you have no channels?

Run ABM. You can select to not create any bouquets at all if you wish. I would recommend you keep the not indexed option enabled. I hope you remember that we do not have any transponder details in satellites.xml. Are channels working with no values transponder values in satellites.xml?

ABM, AB 28.2 and AB cable obtain the channel data directly from the satellite rather than searching for it.

Hope these wonderful plugins are not too simple for you.

timofee
01-05-15, 13:45
[ Satellites.xml is not used for tuning. You can quite happily replace it without stopping enigma2 first.

Are you aware of the old post by phеonix that said that it was necessary to stop enigma when replacing satellites.xml ?