PDA

View Full Version : Cable splitter/coax cables question?

champs4life
28-04-15, 14:35
Hi, I hope someone can advise me on this. Where you have one cable feed and you have to use a splitter so you have two signals, where one goes in the router and the other in the box, are you supposed to then get connection drops happening some times? I know there is signal loss but surely it's not a lot which could cause drop outs right? Could there be issues with the splitter and coax cables?

Larry-G
28-04-15, 15:32
I don't know much about cable, well nothing actually but you always have a possibility that any new piece of hardware you introduce to your setup may be faulty. With the splitter being the most inexpensive and newest part of your setup I'd swap it out for another and see if it makes a difference, also check your cabling for any damage or loose connections. After that I have no other ideas sorry.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

champs4life
28-04-15, 16:02
It's ok Phoenix, appreciate your advice nonetheless. It is really annoying where all your devices stop working when connection drops. All the connectors are as tight as it should be and cabling is new. I figured maybe the splitter and coax cables are faulty and to get more expensive ones but not sure if that will really help as I think the splitter and coax cables generally will cause the issue no matter what.

Larry-G
28-04-15, 16:07
As I said cable is not really my thing but the first thing I would look at would be the splitter and the cabling, after that though I'm just as stumped as you are. Sorry.

champs4life
28-04-15, 16:10
Ok pheonix, will check cabling again to see if it's loose and look at splitter. But I have no clue what I would be looking at haha.

Peterj
28-04-15, 16:23
Mostly the problems are bad connections.
Is it a splitter provided by your cable provider? In that case normally the signal level after the splitter should be ok.

thor1
28-04-15, 16:26
I believe cable can be fussy about certain splitters

champs4life
28-04-15, 16:44
Mostly the problems are bad connections.
Is it a splitter provided by your cable provider? In that case normally the signal level after the splitter should be ok.

Yes.

Would I need to buy another splitter instead? Is there one which is the best?

Peterj
28-04-15, 17:00
If this splitter is provided by your provider, it's probably a special one, with the correct filters for your router.
I shouldn't replace it.
Check everything behind that splitter.
There is nothing else between the splitter and your box, except coax cable?

TK4|2|1
28-04-15, 17:29
What is the frequency range ofthe splitter you bought? Satellite splitters are (if memory serves correctly) 850Mhz to 2150Mhz and UHF are less then 850Mhz. Not sure what range cable operate in but could explain why you are having trouble if you've bought the wrong one.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll.

champs4life
28-04-15, 17:30
Ok then, can't you buy these special splitters online? I'm just thinking it could be faulty if I'm having drop outs at times due to the coax cables and splitter itself.

Yes only cables between splitter and box.

champs4life
28-04-15, 17:31
What is the frequency range ofthe splitter you bought? Satellite splitters are (if memory serves correctly) 850Mhz to 2150Mhz and UHF are less then 850Mhz. Not sure what range cable operate in but could explain why you are having trouble if you've bought the wrong one.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll.

From what I remember it's 2400Mhz.

nsw9154
28-04-15, 17:40
I think TK4/2/1 has a valid point, i think that cable only use up to 1000Mhz and sat ones go up to 2150Mhz my 4 way cable splitter is 5-1000Mhz and works perfectly as i have a Mutant-LX3- and a Quad + connected with it, nearly forgot to mention the Tivo box that i hardly ever use but is still working fine

champs4life
28-04-15, 17:46
So a 2400Mhz is too much for a cable splitter?

champs4life
28-04-15, 17:55
I think TK4/2/1 has a valid point, i think that cable only use up to 1000Mhz and sat ones go up to 2150Mhz my 4 way cable splitter is 5-1000Mhz and works perfectly as i have a Mutant-LX3- and a Quad + connected with it, nearly forgot to mention the Tivo box that i hardly ever use but is still working fine

Slightly off topic but you say you using a 4 way splitter, have you got both boxes in different rooms? If so hasn't using the splitter on both boxes caused poor signal and picture quality?

It's just that I read using splitter with multiple things can cause huge signal loss.

I don't even know how you check how much signal you have lost with using a splitter.

Peterj
28-04-15, 17:57
So a 2400Mhz is too much for a cable splitter?

It should be minimum in range of 45MHz to 900 MHz. (cable freq.)
I doubt your cable provider had installed it.

have a look here: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44287-using-both-cable-tuners/page5&highlight=splitter #46

champs4life
28-04-15, 18:10
Why have I got a 2400Mhz splitter and is it a satellite splitter?

Shall I buy a splitter a 1000Mhz splitter?

So I got too much frequency?

Peterj
28-04-15, 18:20
The splitter range is important.
It is possible you have a 10 - 2400 MHz splitter (they exists).
It means it splits frequencies between 10 and 2400 MHz at a correct way.

champs4life
28-04-15, 18:35
The splitter range is important.
It is possible you have a 10 - 2400 MHz splitter (they exists).
It means it splits frequencies between 10 and 2400 MHz at a correct way.

Ok, what would you suggest I do?
Is there no way I can check currently how much signal loss has occurred as that could be reason for drop outs?

Peterj
28-04-15, 18:38
First check your cables and connectors (also the quality of cable and conectors).
4G interference is also a big problem nowadays.

champs4life
28-04-15, 18:44
First check your cables and connectors (also the quality of cable and conectors).
4G interference is also a big problem nowadays.

Ok will do.
Do you mean mobile 4G?
Thank you for your help and others.

nsw9154
29-04-15, 04:03
Hello camps4life re your pm if you press the OK Button twice it will show your signal strength mine is 99% on BBC 1 just try checking it with and without the splitter that way you can see if it is or not degrading your cable signal here is a snap shot from my LX3

champs4life
29-04-15, 12:26
Appreciate that nsw9154.
Sorry for the silly question bit is SNR the signal level and what is AGC?
What should the correct numbers be on both?

nsw9154
29-04-15, 14:00
Signal to Noise Ratio and Automatic Gain Control, their are no real set levels as every channel transmits at a different levels, on the sat side i always tune my dish on the weakest channel because if you can pick up a clear signal on the weak transponders the stronger ones should be better if you get my drift, if you look at my levels on BBC1 i have a SNR of 99% and a AGC of 29% but it could just as well be the other way round without any noticeable change in the picture quality as every thing is variable and nothing is set in stone some of the weaker channels only give a SNR of about 23% but are watchable while some channels give you 55% and are constantly breaking up

champs4life
29-04-15, 14:47
Slightly confused why and how would you tune dish to weakest channel?

Also what do you mean by weak and strong transponders?

It's really weird that channels fluctuate so much on SNR and AGC, I thought most would be the same.

Larry-G
29-04-15, 16:00
Slightly confused why and how would you tune dish to weakest channel?

Also what do you mean by weak and strong transponders?

It's really weird that channels fluctuate so much on SNR and AGC, I thought most would be the same.

Because if you can pickup a signal on the weakest channel you can get the rest of them perfectly fine, where as if you tune to the strongest channel you may not get the weaker ones. Transponders are the frequencies your channels broadcast from, the provider can or satellite operator can dial the power for individual transponders up or down and that can have massive effects on the signal strength you receive especially if you are outside of the intended viewing area such as expats who watch sky uk in Europe etc.

champs4life
29-04-15, 20:07
So I need to tune my dish to weakest channels or has it been done automatically already?
Sorry what's expat?

TK4|2|1
29-04-15, 20:33
When did a dish creep into this? I thought you were on cable?
Confused.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll..

Andy_Hazza
29-04-15, 20:36
When did a dish creep into this? I thought you were on cable?
Confused.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll..

Champs has 2x sat and 1x cable setup. :thumbsup:

champs4life
29-04-15, 22:02
Where channels have alot of fluctuations in numbers on both SNR and AGC should I be worried if its too high or too low on one or the other?

Larry-G
29-04-15, 23:41
So I need to tune my dish to weakest channels or has it been done automatically already?
Sorry what's expat?

If you are within the footprint (ie in the uk) and you can receive all the channels you should be fine so don't worry about it, expat stands for ex patriot IE a Brit who now resides in France etc.

cwebb66
29-04-15, 23:59
there used to be a guy called william1 on another forum who used to compile a list of the strongest and weakest transponders for each satellite and their footprint I did find it useful and the guy put a lot of time and effort into making it I think , but it is on another forum and I don't know if it is still going

judge
30-04-15, 00:01
Sorry what's expat?
Seriously?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=expat

champs4life
30-04-15, 14:06
Seriously?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=expat

Sorry I should googled before posting here.