PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] How to use Permanent Timeshift

white_westie
27-04-15, 17:33
Looking for some info on using Permanent Timeshift and how it works.

Have just used pause live tv option before to a usb stick without any issues, but am trying to get my head around using PTS.

Have configured Timeshift to HDD as follows

Have it running for over an hour now on the same channel.

Looking at /media/hdd/timeshift I see the following files

root@et9x00:/media/hdd/timeshift# ls -lart
drwxr-xr-x 38 root root 4096 Apr 27 06:37 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 226 Apr 27 15:49 pts_livebuffer_1.meta
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 693664 Apr 27 16:15 pts_livebuffer_1.sc
-rw------- 1 root root 549828372 Apr 27 16:15 pts_livebuffer_1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 237 Apr 27 16:15 pts_livebuffer_2.meta
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 218 Apr 27 16:50 pts_livebuffer_3.meta
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 933344 Apr 27 16:50 pts_livebuffer_2.sc
-rw------- 1 root root 894484824 Apr 27 16:50 pts_livebuffer_2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 27 16:50 .
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 321440 Apr 27 17:02 timeshift.P80k2h.sc
-rw------- 2 root root 304746496 Apr 27 17:02 timeshift.P80k2h
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 321440 Apr 27 17:02 pts_livebuffer_3.sc
-rw------- 2 root root 304746496 Apr 27 17:02 pts_livebuffer_3
root@et9x00:/media/hdd/timeshift#

I assume the 3 different sets of files are from 3 different programs?
If I stay tuned to this channel for the next few hours - what happens?
Do I just get a set of files for each program as it finishes?
Is there a option to limit (based on duration or space used) the amount of programs it will save, or does it continue until it runs out of space?

To view the different programs, do I just press the Pause key to display a timebar, and then press the '<' key to skip back through the different programs, and press the Ok button to play them?

I see references to 'stopping timeshift' and 'save/change the current timeshift to a recording' - how do I do that?

The menu option 'Timeshift-save action on zap' - am I supposed to get an option to save the current timeshift when I zap to another channel?

Dumbo questions, I know, but have not had much luck searching .....

white_westie
28-04-15, 00:00
Nobody use PTS then?

judge
28-04-15, 00:07
Just enable it. It won't timeshift indefinitely & won't fill your HDD. When you switch channels, all previous TS is deleted.

abu baniaz
28-04-15, 00:45
Most of the options should be self explanatory.
You can set maximum number of events, whether it prompts you or not when you exit, whether you continue timeshift when you record too, how long before you start timeshifting.

Once you have automatically started timeshift (this feature in image may be different to PTS plugin as Andy added features into image), you just rewind (<<) if you need to. If you want to jump to previous event (<) will do so, then continue rewinding.

white_westie
28-04-15, 09:03
Just enable it. It won't timeshift indefinitely & won't fill your HDD. When you switch channels, all previous TS is deleted.

Judge, thks for responding

So there is no user configurable size or time limit?
So if you switch channel the previous TS is deleted automatically, but if I leave it on the 1 channel all day (it happens) it will create a TS for each of the programs - is that correct?

Does TS stop when you put your stb into standby unlike a timer recording?

Last question, how do you save your TS - pressed the stop key but does nothing, pressed the pause key and then the stop key but that just puts me back to live tv.
I thought this was one of the extra features that Andy coded!

white_westie
28-04-15, 09:10
Most of the options should be self explanatory.
You can set maximum number of events, whether it prompts you or not when you exit, whether you continue timeshift when you record too, how long before you start timeshifting.

Once you have automatically started timeshift (this feature in image may be different to PTS plugin as Andy added features into image), you just rewind (<<) if you need to. If you want to jump to previous event (<) will do so, then continue rewinding.

Sorry ABU was just using PTS as a generic term and not referring to a specific plugin.
I am attempting to use the built in feature in OpenVIX.
I assume your reference to
set maximum number of events, whether it prompts you or not when you exit is not relevant to OpenVIX?

What does the the menu option 'Timeshift-save action on zap' do?
Am I supposed to get an option to save the current timeshift when I zap to another channel - I don't?

bbbuk
28-04-15, 13:02
I believe maximum number of events is in OpenATV as I've not seen it in openvix.

The 'Timeshift save action on zap' just saves the current timeshift data before you change channel and this then becomes timeshift is available in your movies list (I believe).

Personally, I set to delete any timeshift once I change channel by setting that to "no"

abu baniaz
28-04-15, 14:06
Zap = change channel.

Say you were watching something and midway decided you want to save that program/event. By default you get to decide.

If you were watching one thing and wanted to zap to another, you can also continue with "recording" the current one.

Note: If I remember correctly, the record button gives more options if timeshift is active or not.

If you don't want to save, you just say so.

There are others who will get annoyed with the constant options when changing channels. They can make their decision of what to do (most probably exit timeshift and don't save) and opt not to be nagged.

white_westie
28-04-15, 15:35
Abu

Get no options when I change channel, just seems to move onto the next TS set of files
Will set it to No and see what happens.

The record button seems to be the magic button (not very obvious...) - get extra options when TS is on.

Thks for help guys.

Larry-G
28-04-15, 15:39
There is a help button, if you click that while in most screens it will tell you what the buttons do and explain certain features available etc.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

white_westie
28-04-15, 19:18
I did, but a bit light on the timeshift functions...same as the manual
Most posts seem to be old and not specific to current builtin timeshift functionality.

Thks for help, think i have got the hang of it.

bbbuk
28-04-15, 20:13
There is a help button, if you click that while in most screens it will tell you what the buttons do and explain certain features available etc.Not all receivers OpenVix support have a help button from what I've read in few other threads here.