PDA

View Full Version : Vu+Duo - What satellite am I pointing at??

mcquaim
10-12-10, 22:34
Hi there,

Firstly sorry for a stupid question but I'm a newbie and kind of lost at the minute.

I recently bought a Vu+Duo and a 60cm dish. I installed both today and pointed my dish at what I thought was Astra 28.2 with guidance from www.dishpointer.com.

Initially when I powered on my box and went through the initial setup the screen just sat at "Loading Enigma 2...". No power was getting to my LNB as my sat finder would not power up.

I then updated the image to the latest VTI image and thankfully I was not getting power to my LNB. I aligned my dish and I was happy that I was on Astra 28.2. I then ran a scan on the receiver with Astra selected. This returned 191 channels but they all seem to be Spanish or something like that. I am also not getting any picture when I attempt to watch a channel.

Am I doing something really stupid? How do I know what satellite the receiver is currently picking up? I can't make out what it means from the information screen.

Thanks,
mcquaim

silverfox0786
10-12-10, 22:38
go to menu, setup, system, Language ... set to uk

also put a bouquet into your box

SGTFlipFlop or Silverfox0786 will give you 28.2e fixed

mcquaim
10-12-10, 22:45
Thanks for the quick response silverfox!!

I wasn't very clear, the system language is in English but the channels that have been returned and the programme info is in a foreign language.

I tried downloading a bouquet there now and it lists loads and loads of channels but still no picture! And error pops up for some of the channels SID or something.

I reckon I must have the wrong satellite or something.. Anyway to see what I'm currently pointing at??

basilyoung
10-12-10, 22:52
it sounds to me, that you are on 19 east, and if you want 28 east, the dis will need moving 8 deggrees to the left of its current position

baz

Larry-G
10-12-10, 22:53
load a bouquet. then tune to bbc news and see if any thing clears if it does not your not pointing at sky uk. its pretty much that simple. you can then tweak the dish left or right to tune into sky uk.

Donnie
10-12-10, 22:53
My guess is you are pointing at 19.2 which will get some Spanish channels, if you tell us what they are I am sure we can tell you for sure where your dish is.
Then you will know which way to tweak it.

mcquaim
10-12-10, 23:02
Thanks a million for the help folks!

It has a load of Canal+ channels, Aljazeera channels, Natgeo, Discovery... The programme info are all in a different language though. Should I not see some picture?

I think I will spin the dish and see where that gets me. So much for dishpointer!!

Thanks again lads!!

Larry-G
10-12-10, 23:04
you wont see any of the canal + channels as there encrypted and yes if there present it's 19.2 east

basilyoung
10-12-10, 23:05
nothing wrong with dishpointer, but I am certain that you are on 19 east

are you on a motorized dish??
just "spinning the dish" might not be the answer

oh,..and welcome to the forum as well

mcquaim
10-12-10, 23:10
Thanks again, really great support lads!

It is a fixed dish. By spinning I mean getting out the old compass and getting my sat finder to get the best reception.

I will try this tomorrow, thanks again folks!

Donnie
10-12-10, 23:19
Thanks again, really great support lads!

It is a fixed dish. By spinning I mean getting out the old compass and getting my sat finder to get the best reception.

I will try this tomorrow, thanks again folks!

Just loosen the bolts and move it a very small amount and you will have what you want.

Just load some settings that will give you 28.2 go to say BBC1, get someone to watch the TV as you move the dish and you will be sorted, 19.2 - 28.2 is a fraction.

shax
11-12-10, 00:54
If you are using an led type sat finder it will find any sat
do as Donnie says its best to have 2 people so you know
you are on the correct sat use a fta channel then you should
be up and working

Der_Andy_C
11-12-10, 01:00
I had this once - spent ages trying to work out why my freesat box wasn't picking up anything despite my satfinder box beeping like mad as if there was a full signal. the amount you have to move the dish is pretty small to get a big change...

I found it useful with dishpointer to zoom out of the google maps photo and pick a landmark that the dish path crosses at least a few hundred yards from your house - then you know exactly what to point it at :)

Have fun getting it working!

Andy

mcquaim
11-12-10, 15:18
Hi folks,

I eventually got myself up and running but not before I nearly lost all faith in satellites :-(

I just couldn't get it to pick up Astra 28.2, I followed all the great tips I'd gotten yesterday but nothing! I had basically given up, set the dish to what I still thought was 19.2 and was ready to get a pro to set it up. When I came back from the roof I was amazed to see BBC News playing :-) It was by pure fluke but I'm not complaining!

Thanks again for all the helpful posts yesterday, top marks!

I attempted earlier to install the latest VIX image but it got stuck on the loading enigma 2 screen. I then attempted to install the original image and it had the same issue so I'm now back on VTI and it's working fine.

VIX looks good, any ideas what might be wrong?

Oh yeah, big thanks to silverfox, the channel lists are great!!