PDA

View Full Version : Going on overseas

jassie
26-04-15, 17:25
I see it's possible to connect a tablet device to the receiver over the network and using one of the tuners to view live channels or watch the contects of the hard drive, I have not yet tried this myself yet, I just wanted to know would it be possible to also use this method to watch when I am away from home using the tablet for example when I am overseas:thumbsup:

psionguy
28-04-15, 09:36
I see it's possible to connect a tablet device to the receiver over the network and using one of the tuners to view live channels or watch the contects of the hard drive, I have not yet tried this myself yet, I just wanted to know would it be possible to also use this method to watch when I am away from home using the tablet for example when I am overseas:thumbsup:

Yes it is possible, but I recommend you don't try it. To achieve streaming outside your network you need to open some ports in your router which will leave your Duo2 vulnerable to attack. There are plenty of example's of this issue on the forum, so do a little research prior to trying this out.

rossi2000
28-04-15, 12:20
setup a vpn and you'll be fine.

jassie
29-04-15, 14:52
Ok guys I will have a look and see how much I can understand given my limited understanding:thumbsup:

psionguy
02-05-15, 13:45
Some VPN services are quite easy to set up, but it will cost you for a decent service. I have a couple of recommendations if you want to go this route, let me know.

jassie
03-05-15, 21:48
I don't quite understand why a VPN would have to be set up for this, does the receiver have to think it's on the same network as I am using at the other end?:confused:

pembo
03-05-15, 22:56
a VPN essentially bridges your connection to the LAN you're connecting into.

So in you home network, you'd run a VPN server, and on your phone/laptop, away from home, you run a VPN client to connect into your VPN server and for all intents and purposes, you're essentially on your home network, able to access any machine on your network (e.g. router, enigma2 box, pc, etc).

If you don't setup a VPN, and rather you just forward ports from your router, it's only a small amount of time before you'll be hacked and someone will be using your box to watch TV remotely, as any security on the engima2 box isn't strong and your box, and everything in your home network could well be exposed to someone intent on taking the hack that one stage further.

You only have to look on here for the amout of posts where peoples boxes have been hijacked...