PDA

View Full Version : Cross epg bug

djkross
26-04-15, 14:22
Ok I I'm streaming to my iPad via the vu+ player app official one, and when I update my cross epg TV goes blank update starts then freezes. Vix 166, solo2, snp picons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry-G
26-04-15, 14:30
Question, why are you updating the EPG while also streaming a channel to a ipad ?.

More importantly this is exactly what I would expect to happen, you are essentially borrowing a tuner card from your receiver when you are streaming a channel (assuming that some one else is watching something else on the receiver at the time), so if you then kick in a EPG update with CrossEPG / OpenTV (which also needs to use a free tuner to get it's data) it will naturally mean one or the other has to end and in this case it's the stream to your ipad.

Granted it should not freeze the receiver but it's not really unexpected if you are trying to use more tuners than you have access to, especially with a something as memory hungry as a EPG update.

imish
26-04-15, 15:24
is there a telnet command to remotely initiate an EPG update - perhaps that may solve the issue for the OP?

Larry-G
26-04-15, 15:35
There should be no need to remotely initiate a EPG update, you can schedule one via the EPG's own setup screen or do it at a time that you are not using other services. If you do have to do it remotely do it via a OpenWebIF session but not while streaming channels.

djkross
26-04-15, 15:37
Oh ok as I have a auto update for epg daily, that's how come across this.
My iPad stream is fine it's my TV tuner that goes down.

imish
26-04-15, 15:37
There should be no need to remotely initiate a EPG update, you can schedule one via the EPG's own setup screen or do it at a time that you are not using other services. If you do have to do it remotely do it via a OpenWebIF session but not while streaming channels.

Agree - however out of interest is there a way to initiate it via command line (like one can do with updates)?

Larry-G
26-04-15, 15:42
Oh ok as I have a auto update for epg daily, that's how come across this.

I find it best to schedule the update to take place at a time that you know the receiver is not going to be in use such as early AM (mine are all done at around 04:40). I do agree that the EPG launching a update while also streaming a channel should not lock the receiver up but thats something we would have to look into.

Agree - however out of interest is there a way to initiate it via command line (like one can do with updates)?

None that I know of.

djkross
26-04-15, 15:49
I find it best to schedule the update to take place at a time that you know the receiver is not going to be in use such as early AM (mine are all done at around 04:40). I do agree that the EPG launching a update while also streaming a channel should not lock the receiver up but thats something we would have to look into.

Oh ok that's a bit hard for me my missus likes pulling every plug out at night, but yeah it would be nice to update a epg by internet only.

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 15:53
Simple solution tell your missus to stay well away from your receiver [emoji14]

Larry-G
26-04-15, 16:04
Oh ok that's a bit hard for me my missus likes pulling every plug out at night, but yeah it would be nice to update a epg by internet only.

I hope you are closing the receiver down properly first, because if you are not you could end up causing actual physical harm to it, it is after all a computer not just a piece of electrical equipment.

djkross
26-04-15, 16:42
I hope you are closing the receiver down properly first, because if you are not you could end up causing actual physical harm to it, it is after all a computer not just a piece of electrical equipment.

Ok I didn't think of it like that, so deep sleep then switch the box off by the switch on the back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Larry-G
26-04-15, 18:38
Ok I didn't think of it like that, so deep sleep then switch the box off by the switch on the back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep that's the best way or better still shutdown if it has a shutdown option in the power menu.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

imish
26-04-15, 19:14

Other than the HDD (non-SSD) what sort of damage could one cause?