PDA

View Full Version : [TM-TWIN-OE] how to try diferent kernels

trevatxtal
26-04-15, 14:03
My Technomate Tm twin oe has OpenPli 4D Kernel, I would like to try another.
such as Vix.
The problem is however I try I am unable to get the box to acknowledge a new boot loader or new image. (OpenVix)
I have followed the guide at
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27575-How-to-USB-flash-upgrade-Technomate-TM-Twin-OE
The USB stick is read after start up as the led blinks but after a while just carries on as usual with no request message.
Am I just missing a small point or is it problematic to swap the Linux Distros.
Many thanks for your input
Trevor
EDIT Nix altered to Vix

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 14:06
Never heard of OpenNix, heard of OpenViX mind........

trevatxtal
26-04-15, 14:13
Worn keyboard
Sorry

Larry-G
26-04-15, 14:16
The kernel is built into the image so just by flashing a different image you can try other kernel versions quite easily, but you will first need to flash the appropriate bootloader for the image.

Make sure you first format the USB stick then load the bootloader the same way as you would a image. Generally speaking you should flash the very latest bootloader version first then the latest ViX image as I am not sure which image versions require which specific bootloaders.

Bootloaders and ViX images can be obtained from our download site at www.openvix.co.uk

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 14:18
Flash first with this bootloader >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/Technomate-Bootloaders/TM-TWIN-OE/
then flash with latest Apollo image >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=TM-Twin-OE/

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 14:19
The kernel is built into the image so just by flashing a different image you can try other kernel versions quite easily, but you will first need to flash the appropriate bootloader for the image.

Make sure you first format the USB stick then load the bootloader the same way as you would a image. Generally speaking you should flash the very latest bootloader version first then the latest ViX image as I am not sure which image versions require which specific bootloaders.

Bootloaders and ViX images can be obtained from our download site at www.openvix.co.uk

You beat me to it!! lol

Larry-G
26-04-15, 14:21
You beat me to it!! lol

LMAO quick typist. (just keep the wrong keys with these gangly long fingers so have to go over it with a spell checker LOL.), otherwise I would be even faster.

trevatxtal
26-04-15, 15:26
Thank you folk for trying to help.
As I have tried to flash
Boot loader first then the image.
Note my message
""I have followed the guide at
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ate-TM-Twin-OE
The USB stick is read after start up as the led blinks but after a while just carries on as usual with no request message. ""
The OpenPli software or boot software (bios) will not acknowledged that it is a flash procedure.
I know the USB stick works as one (1) have tried others and (2) it updates the OpenPli 4D software.
I would still appreciate any more suggestions.
Many thanks
Trev

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 15:37
Bootloader only takes seconds, if you blink you will miss it.

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 15:37
Try a different USB stick

Larry-G
26-04-15, 15:44
Try hitting the button as soon as the receiver starts to boot up, even if you don't see the on screen prompt just to be sure.

trevatxtal
27-04-15, 07:41
thank you Andy and Phoenix
Between the two you have enabled me to solve it
First I tried a completely different manufacture of USB stick.
The ones I was using "INTREGAL 4G" I have a number of them, all showed the same fault.
A close look at the stick in Gparted, showed a 2meg yes meg sector unused at the front of the USB.
I could not get rid of it it was stuck on all the sticks I have. ???
I then tried a "DANE ELEC 1GB" it worked only if I tapped the button very quick after start up.
So folk many thanks for solving my problem. Will let you know how I get on with Vix in due course.

Andy_Hazza
27-04-15, 08:54
Glad you sorted it. [emoji106]🏼

judge
27-04-15, 09:04
A close look at the stick in Gparted, showed a 2meg yes meg sector unused at the front of the USB.
I could not get rid of it it was stuck on all the sticks I have. ???
Gparted should let you delete all partitions, just unmount the disk first, then format & create new partitions.
Never had an issue with any USB stick & use gparted all the time.

bbbuk
27-04-15, 10:39
Don't some memory sticks (namely older ones now) have drivers and/or other software installed on them. I believe it was for the old versions of windows (and maybe other OS's) that may have needed drivers for usb sticks. For newer OS's they're not needed anymore.

trevatxtal
30-04-15, 06:52
Hello Judge
I have been using Gparted since it came available some years I think, and have never had problems with it, I had to low level format with manufactures software once. Gparted could not solve that one.
However this stick seem to have a boundary problem, as Gparted sees the 2 meg partition but will not allow it to be integrated with with the rest.even when it shows as deleted.
I got a job lot of these sticks and they are fine for data, but not for booting I have just tried them.
That is why they were so cheep, Ba
Many thanks for your input.
Much appreciated.
Trev