PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to View BOX via PC?

imish
26-04-15, 12:56
Looking for a super simple way of viewing and scrolling channels from a PC / MAC. Appreciate that there is WebiF built into OPenVIX however unfortunately this is still a bit too technical for my dad - is there a more simpler option that I could explore?

Andy_Hazza
26-04-15, 14:09
Use OpenWebIf in your browser. Just put the box I.P address in, nothing technical about it whatsoever.

imish
26-04-15, 14:12
Use OpenWebIf in your browser. Just put the box I.P address in, nothing technical about it whatsoever.

You then have to choose to stream a channel and use a program like VLC to watch the stream.

how do you go about changing channels without going through the above again?

Far from straight forward for a non-techie.

Larry-G
26-04-15, 14:24
You then have to choose to stream a channel and use a program like VLC to watch the stream.

Thats pretty much your only option to stream to a PC, well the simplest any way. You could use a tablet or mobile phone and use one of the many streaming apps specifically for Enigma2 based receivers.

imish
26-04-15, 16:18
Yes - the iPad apps are pretty good - something similar for OSX would be ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry-G
26-04-15, 16:21
There are no such apps for PC's as far as I am aware but I don't use a MAC so cant be sure if any thing exists for them (very likely doesn't though).

john doe
26-04-15, 19:27
you could use a media HDD and mount it on the network and view through pc VLC media western digital did them sometime back, but not cheap, over £120 quid last time i looked. see link found cheap one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TV-Live-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430072821&sr=8-1&keywords=media+HDD+ethernet+player

judge
26-04-15, 22:18
You could also try the tunerserver plugin available in the plugin feeds.
After installing, restart E2 and it can be found in Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network.
Once run, it creates .m3u files for all your channels in bouquet folders.
You can copy these to any device on your network or just share the HDD where they are created.
Then just double click the one you want to stream that channel.

imish
26-04-15, 23:34
Thanks for the tip Judge.

is VLC the only app on OS X that can open these m3u files - I didn't get much luck with iTunes.

judge
26-04-15, 23:44
is VLC the only app on OS X that can open these m3u files - I didn't get much luck with iTunes.
No idea, don't have a Mac here.
Just tested the plugin on the upcoming ViX release and it works perfectly with the Ubuntu default media player & VLC, so presume some mac apps support .m3u files.
Why don't you want to use VLC? You should be able to set it as the default app for this file type, so when your old man clicks on the file he wants, it will launch VLC & stream the channel he wants.
Contents of the created .m3u file are pretty simple:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,RTE2 HD
http://192.168.0.100:8001/1:0:19:2588:7FB:2:11A0000:0:0:0:

Lots of media/video apps should support that these days.

imish
26-04-15, 23:50
No idea, don't have a Mac here.
Just tested the plugin on the upcoming ViX release and it works perfectly with the Ubuntu default media player & VLC, so presume some mac apps support .m3u files.
Why don't you want to use VLC? You should be able to set it as the default app for this file type, so when your old man clicks on the file he wants, it will launch VLC & stream the channel he wants.
Contents of the created .m3u file are pretty simple:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,RTE2 HD
http://192.168.0.100:8001/1:0:19:2588:7FB:2:11A0000:0:0:0:

Lots of media/video apps should support that these days.

Yes, should be good enough for him (thanks) - was thinking of a way to get it to work with FrontRow on OS X - like apple TV :)

judge
27-04-15, 00:12
Yes, should be good enough for him (thanks) - was thinking of a way to get it to work with FrontRow on OS X - like apple TV :)
Just a GUI issue so, not a functionality issue.
Pretty sure you could find some mac app to sex up the look of .m3u files, no real need though.

judge
27-04-15, 00:48
You could also use custom icons to help identify channels, using the excellent MK picons, requires a bit of work on your part, but maybe less issues for your old man?

imish
10-05-15, 12:46
On a similar note.

my Panasonic Smart TV's connect to my NAS where the "tuner" folder is accessible - however they don't recognise the file format. Would be great if I can access the stream files directly from the TV too.

imish
14-05-15, 11:16
Read some reviews and decided to try out a Sumvision Micro 4 Media Streamer.

ALERT - very poor quality, drops off the network and worse of all doesn't play the M3u files that I need it to in order to play the live stream from the Sat box. All in all disappointed and looking to try a different one. Is the WD TV the best affordable one out there?

Can one use one of the new mini Sat boxes to play the live stream from another unit (upstream)?

any other plugins that convert the stream files into a different format other than m3u?

trigg
01-08-15, 19:43
How I did it was to open the web page from my PC of the Vu+ Solo2 box.
Make sure bouquets is selected, there should be a list underneath of all your bouquets starting with 'ALL CHANNELS',
a little TV icon next to the words if you hover over it it should popup with 'download playlist for all channels' click this
it will download the tiny file to you PC,
use whatever program you use to open the 'stream/playlist' (I use vlc player)
Then create a shortcut to this downloaded file (services.m3u)
In future just double click the shortcut
To change channel just look at the playlist in