PDA

View Full Version : advice on reciver

Sparky01
25-04-15, 19:30
i am after a bit of advice because I am new to all this and looking to start slowly, I have 2 sly hd 2tb boxes currently and this is what I a am looking to replace I am looking for a receiver with twin input so I can record one channel and watch a 2 nd one, I was thinking of the Technomate TM-Twin-OE Enigma , question is will this box do this and also there is the option of 4 different firmware option.

What's the difference between it all.

Any advise would be most welcome and sooty if you have been asked this before.

Andy_Hazza
25-04-15, 19:49
The TM-Twin-OE is an ageing receiver now n would personally advise against going for that one. Do you have a particular budget in mind?

Sparky01
25-04-15, 21:05
The TM-Twin-OE is an ageing receiver now n would personally advise against going for that one. Do you have a particular budget in mind?

Not at this point, but don't want to spread 300 on a box when a 200 box would have done the same job.
As I said I am new to this and to start with I am looking at replacing the sly box but getting the same functions I have at the moment.

mann
25-04-15, 22:01
I would go for the VU+solo2 its a great box with great specs will do all you want it to plus well supported here.

Andy_Hazza
25-04-15, 22:25
Not at this point, but don't want to spread 300 on a box when a 200 box would have done the same job.
As I said I am new to this and to start with I am looking at replacing the sly box but getting the same functions I have at the moment.

Also to bear in mind, Technomate has a serious driver issue and you cannot enable "Timeshift" which is basically the pause live tv equivalent to sky's.
I would personally go for a Vu+ Solo2 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver
or the Xtrend E8000 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2

Sparky01
25-04-15, 22:59
Also to bear in mind, Technomate has a serious driver issue and you cannot enable "Timeshift" which is basically the pause live tv equivalent to sky's.
I would personally go for a Vu+ Solo2 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver
or the Xtrend E8000 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2

Thanks for the information, 1 last question , what firmware and what's the difference between them.

Andy_Hazza
25-04-15, 23:07
I would personally go with ViX but by all means try them all but you will end up coming back to ViX as its simply the best. Benefits of ViX are; ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) which populates your Channel List I.e. Sky, Freesat etc. CrossEPG provides you with your 7 day guide. Timeshift is the pause live tv I mentioned previously. Timers/AutoTimers are one off recordings and series link recordings. You can download skins from the feeds which for example you could have a YouViX Blue look which is basically like a BT YouView box or the Blue HD skin which is like Sky's. Loads of benefits using ViX, superb image. [emoji106]🏼

Willmoore
25-04-15, 23:15
I was in the same position a few months back and after some research opted for the VU+ Solo2 and have not been disappointed. Opted for the ViX image and as said earlier the support on here is first class.

nsw9154
26-04-15, 01:14
I would thoroughly recommend the Solo2 it's a great little receiver

judge
26-04-15, 01:56
The Xtrend E8000 would be more tempting to me above the Solo2. Cheaper & a bit more future proof with 3 swappable tuner slots along with support for 2.5" & 3.5" SATA HDD.

Sparky01
26-04-15, 09:27
The Xtrend E8000 would be more tempting to me above the Solo2. Cheaper & a bit more future proof with 3 swappable tuner slots along with support for 2.5" & 3.5" SATA HDD.

One thing I have noticed on both box,s is there is no rf port, currently I have a htmi splitter (1 in 2 out) fitted, I have ran to a 2 nd TV in the house a hdmi cable and a coax cable, the coax is in rf2 with a magic eye connect and the pic/sound comes from the hdmi.

I do have an open box v8 so I could put this in the 2 nd location and just run a single lab feed to have this independent.

Sparky01
27-04-15, 08:09
Looking at it I think I am with judge on this, plus it's a bonus that I can use my 1tb 3.5 disk from my PC and upgrade my PC with a ssd. Are there any down sides to going with the E8000 v sole2.

Will it look the same with with the crossepg and things ?

Andy was saying all the right thinks in his last post of what I was looking for.

Andy_Hazza
27-04-15, 08:52
Looking at it I think I am with judge on this, plus it's a bonus that I can use my 1tb 3.5 disk from my PC and upgrade my PC with a ssd. Are there any down sides to going with the E8000 v sole2.

Will it look the same with with the crossepg and things ?

Andy was saying all the right thinks in his last post of what I was looking for.

Yeah both these receivers will be the same as in the look n feel etc as its the ViX image that gives you all the things I mentioned previously.

Sparky01
27-04-15, 14:13
Thanks, for the advice all e8000 order being placed.

Larry-G
27-04-15, 15:47

I would not personally consider it a serious issue but then again I don't use timeshift so it does not matter to me.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
27-04-15, 15:57
I would not personally consider it a serious issue but then again I don't use timeshift so it does not matter to me.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I know buddy, but as he wanted something like for like thought I'd mention the timeshift issue on the TM's.

rossi2000
27-04-15, 16:04
+1 for xtrend.

Sparky01
29-04-15, 18:45
Thanks for the advise guys, i took delivery today of my E8000 "Thanks WOS " let the fun begin.

Question, where can i find out a bit more about the box, and how to setup the channels so they match sky, IE 106 = Sky 1 or does anyone have a file i can upload plz.

Also i have a newcamd file i need to import if anyone can point me in a good direction on how to do this on this box.

Thanks

Larry-G
29-04-15, 18:51
There are no receiver specific manuals as such but I would recommend you have a read of Rob's ViX manual which can be dlwnloaded from www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk) as for channels have a look at the inbuilt ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker plugin).

Sparky01
29-04-15, 18:55
Yes i have followed ( blindly ) the set-up guild that was posted, the to how it was loaded the EPG was pre loaded and also i set-up the AutoBouquetsMaker plugin and got it to download and set it for 4am as per the info.

Sparky01
29-04-15, 18:57
i might need to start again as i start to play with it first then reached for the how to setup post after playing :-)

Sparky01
30-04-15, 09:44
Phoenix thanks for the manual link, Very helpful and with a few hours of playing around this morning i have got the box up and running with everything ;-) just on thing left to do, can i upload my newcamd file or do i have to do this VIA FTP, on my openbox it allowed me to upload, does this one ?

Larry-G
30-04-15, 14:04
you can install .ipk files via a USB stick but config files etc must be FTP'd over to the correct location.

Sparky01
01-05-15, 13:19
i did see a helpful post ( but lost it) about how to setup the FTP and move the file over.... does anyone know where it is....arrrr:eek:
f