PDA

View Full Version : Assigning a custom picon

cal91
22-04-15, 20:52
Hi Guys,

How do I assign a custom picon to a channel? I have a couple of channels without picons, Irish TV and UTV HD which I need to sort out.

Thanks,
Cal

john doe
23-04-15, 09:30
ive seen these on this forum only a couple days ago. just FTP to the picon location normally, usb or hdd folder called picon

cal91
23-04-15, 11:09
Hi John,

I don't think it's that simple for me, i'm using the Vu+ Duo2 box, the picons have to be labeled a certain way.. for example I couldn't copy across a picon labeled BBC1.png for my system to see it.. this would have to be labeled:1_0_1_3EB_A_F020_FFFF0000_0_0_0.png

Also the picons in my folder structure appear to have a little arrow beside them, looks like an extension or link.. if I was to drop in a png file it won't have that arrow extension.. Never thought a couple of little icons could cause me so much frustration :/

UPDATE:
Actually I didn't check the other folder labeled TV, it actually has some of the missing picons but they don't link to the channel?

Thanks for your input.

judge
23-04-15, 11:11
Try bbc1.png (not all caps)
Also, those little arrows are to show symlinks, a marker to the file, not the actual file.

cal91
23-04-15, 11:21
Hi Judge,

I checked the tv folder and it actually has some on my missing picons, like utv hd.. so they are actually there not missing at all.. but I can't understand why they don't then link back to the channel on the epg, I only have a small number of channels like this?

I'm guess I have missing symlinks and thats why they aren't linking?

judge
23-04-15, 11:28
Are you sure you don't have more than one picon folder?
Did you restart E2 after adding new picons?

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 11:36
You have insatlled Ocram's picon sets. You have not said which version. One on the openvix download site had them IIRC.

The ways his process works is that people upload changes to his database. The process creates symbolic links (service reference to the files in the tv and radio folders)

You have options now.
1. Create a symbolic link linking to the tv folder.
2. Copy the files that are "missing" to your PC. Rename them (if necessary). Place them them in the same folder that has the symbolic links ( not the tv folder).
Names: utvireland.png utvhd.png

Please note: Service Named Picons do not display on the LCD screen on the front of the receiver. They will display on the VFD if you enable the skin. Theauthor of the Linux4LCD plugin is unavailable.

cal91
23-04-15, 11:37
I restarted the box, I have an lcd_picon folder as well, but isn't that unrelated to this is it?

Other than that I have only 1 picon folder on the USB drive which has a bunch of those symlinks and 2 sub folders labled tv & radio

cal91
23-04-15, 11:54
I originally downloaded, tv-ocra.shd.transparent-white-nopadding from the plugin menu on the reciever box (vu+ duo2), utvhd, irishtv and a small number of others were alyways missing on the epg display. However, like I said the files are actually present inside the sub folder named 'tv' within the picon folder. So do I need to create a symbolic link, or whats needed? how does one do that?

Thanks for the support guys, i'm probably coming across as a bit of a numpty.. :eek:

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 11:59
Are you bothered about picons on the LCD?

cal91
23-04-15, 12:03
Hi abu,

I have some picons showing up the LCD that I manually ftp across, I don't mind removing them and starting from scratch if it makes the process any easier.

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 12:23
Uninstall the picons you have installed. Delete the picon folder on USB stick.

Download ocram picon ipk from openvix.co.uk and install

cal91
23-04-15, 12:42
Ok so I think I am to choose conventional, I have selected the enigma2-plugin-picons-tv-220x132.transparent-white-nopadding_2015-03-23--17-53-43_all.ipk

How do I install it? do I ftp it across to any particular directory, and install it form the box?

cal91
23-04-15, 13:34
Ok I found on the forum that I had to put the ipk file in the tmp directory, I deleted my picon folder from the usb and I installed the ipk file from the box, it looked like it was installing for a bit.. and now it's doing nothing.. I've got a black install screen :(

sorry can't take a proper screenshot

cal91
23-04-15, 13:56
Just to follow up, so I left it on this screen for a good 15mins, pressed exit and was prompted if I wanted to restart the GUI, which I did and the system crashed out.. not sure if I should try this again or just download the pack again from the plugin manager, what is the difference anyway? is this ipk file more up to date than what the plugin manager offers? is it not just the same file? i'm having a lot of heachaces here over a couple of missing epg picons

cal91
23-04-15, 15:12
Never got this sorted out guys, there has to be a way for me to manually assign the picons to these channels?.. here's a screen grab below, as you can see UTV HD, UTV Ireland & Sky Atlantic all have missing picons, although I can nearly swear I had a working Picon for Sky Atlantic yesterday:

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 16:27
LCD Picons
I had asked if you were bothered about the LCD picons, you dd not answer that question. (You answred if they were displayed) If you are not bothered, there is a solution that could suit you. Await your answer.

SkyAtlantic
The service reference has changed. This is why it is no longer showing. (SNPicon system was created to avoid having to keep up with these changes)

Difference between the ones on openvix.co.uk and the ones on the plugin feeds
The ones on the download site are newer than the ones on the plugin feeds. They also have UK cable and some Terrestrial. Obviously need to update those too.

I prefer to install by telnet as you can see errors (if applicable). Transfer the ipk to the /tmp directory and tehn telnet the following command: opkg install /tmp/*.ipk There is a guide on how to use Putty for Telnet commands

Channels have service references. The picon system looks for a png file with a name matching the service reference. If this is not found it then searches for a png using the SNPicon name.

I'll await an answer as to whether the LCD picons are vital for you or not before suggesting a way forward. Can you also state whether your USB stick is in fat32 or linux file system

cal91
23-04-15, 17:29
Hi Abu,

Thanks for taking the time to explain things for me, if I was setting this up for myself I wouldn't be bothered about the LCD pics as I think they look a bit gimmicky.. but i'm setting it up for my old man and he likes them coming up on the LCD display.. if I can keep them there it will please him, so what are my options? lose the LCD pics to sort out the epg picons?

I think the USB might have been originally fat32 but it could have been formatted since by the box(?), would that mean it's in linux now? or is there a way I can tell from the settings menu without connecting it directly to the pc?

I'm guessing the experienced users here are using SNPicon?

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 17:50
If the receiver initialised/formatted the USB stick, it will be in linux file system.

I know that it is frustrating to begin with. If you mix things without cancelling what you did last, you will get lost and people will offer you advice for one thing when you have done something else.

As you want the picons on the LCD, forget SNpicons for now.

1. Uninstall the picons from the plugin menu.
2. Delete any picon folders that you have on your USB stick and internal flash memory.
3. Re-insatll the picons from the plugin menu. If your USB stick is in ext filesytem, you will be offered that as a storage location. I would suggest that you use that as a location.
4. Run ABM to update your chanenl data
5. Install the missing picon script plugin. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45007-List-missing-picons&p=350325&viewfull=1#post350325
6. Run it and attach your results here.

cal91
23-04-15, 18:42
Hi abu,

I did what you said: 42054

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 18:48
That plugin/script should not restart the receiver.

If it run successfuly, yu will find output in /tmp/ It will be called "missing-picons_date,time.zip"

cal91
23-04-15, 18:53
Yeah sorry I just realised that, I edited my previous message and attached the file.

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 19:17
I have edited the list and simplified the layout for you.

1. Check if the picons listed exist in the /picon/tv/folder. Copy to a folder on your PC.

2. Rename the picons on your PC so name is exactly the same as the name in cloumn B.
UTVIreland = 1_0_1_FAC_7E9_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
SkyAtlantic = 1_0_1_164F_7E7_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

3. Once complete, copy the renamed files to the picon folder. Do not put into the tv sub folder.

That is simplest way.

I have not mentioned the symbolic links. Once you have accomplished this task, that will be your next lesson.

cal91
23-04-15, 20:45
Hi abu,

I noticed that UTVHD didn't come up under the missing list, was hoping to sort that one too.

ok i've put the files that I wanted into the picon folder, whats next symbolic links? how do I do that? grateful for your help by the way.

abu baniaz
23-04-15, 23:41
You need to create links by a telnet client such as putty. You then paste the command as below

ln -s {existing/target-filename} {symbolic-filename}

tmnano3t login: root
root@tmnano3t:~# cd /media/hdd/picon
root@tmnano3t:/picon# ln -s ./tv/bonanzabonanza.png ./1_0_1_D1E2_841_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

1. log in
2. change to picon directory
3. create symbolic links
In the example
The target/existing file is /tv/bonanzabonanza.png
The symbolink we want to create is the service reference of the channel

cal91
24-04-15, 09:40
Using Putty telnet i'm logged in ok, i'm at this stage: root@vuduo2:~#

My picons are on the usb, so i'm attempting to log in like so: root@vuduo2:~#/media/usb/picon

I get permission denied

:/

UPDATE: i'm in the directory, I had forgot the start of the code with a space: cd /

ok so I typed in the information relating the the channel, I pressed enter and it said: file exists

Not sure it created the symbolic link though, I don't think I see it?

abu baniaz
24-04-15, 10:22
Well done.

You are getting file exists notification because you renamed and placed the files there yesterday.

Now you know how to fix issue in two different ways. You are now prepared for next time. I forgot to mention that you can view service reference by remote: Menu > information > service

Openwebif also has it. Better as you can copy and paste the service reference.

cal91
24-04-15, 10:44
Hi Abu,

Thanks for you help and guidance, i've successfuly fixed 2 picons on my epg and I will continue to update the rest, now that I know what i'm doing :)

Remember before when run the plugin to scan for missing channel picons? it didn't pick up UTVHD so I won't be able to fix that one, is there another way I can find out what the SRP name of this channel might be?

Thanks again.

abu baniaz
24-04-15, 11:01
Already mentioned above, I'll expand.

Zap to chanenl on receiver, Start openwebif on PC, click on "current". There is a section for service refernce. You can copy the value, in this case "1_0_19_FC5_7E0_2_11A0000_0_0_0" and paste it elsewhere. Don't forget to add the ".png"

cal91
24-04-15, 11:04
Oh cool, sorry I didn't quite follow what you meant before, but now I get it, thanks so much for all your help, you've been brilliant :thumbsup:

cal91
24-04-15, 12:58
Relinking picons to channels is a breeze now thanks to abu for helping, but the one channel that won't link: UTVHD, symbolic link kept failing and after a number of attempts when the code finally did say the file exists I still didn't get my picon the appear on the epg.. not sure why it didn't work.

utv_hd.png file in the tv folder
1_0_19_514A_810_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png in the picon folder..

I guess I might never get this one figured out.

deleted
24-04-15, 18:51
In your first command you typed a 1 instead of an l (L), so
1n -s instead of
ln -s.
In your second command, you didn't do anything, since the file already existed. You should delete it first.

rm 1_0_19_514A_810_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
ln -s tv/utv_hd.png 1_0_19_514A_810_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

cal91
27-04-15, 17:42
Hi Ocram,

Thanks for highlighting this for me, it still didn't work.. it works for all my other channels apart from utvhd, I removed the picon, renamed to utv_hd and replaced it.. still didn't work, really strange