PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between Solo2 and Duo2

iMak
19-04-15, 11:59
Hi everyone :wave:,

I am totally new to VU+ receivers and looking for your help. I am currently using a clone DM800se and it's ok so far. I want to buy a new receiver for my second TV. I read about the VU+ receivers and can say they are decent and well built.

I narrowed down my wish list to Solo2 and Duo2, but can't decide which one to get. Why? Because the price difference is only EUR 80.00 from the place I found.

VU+ Solo2 (2xDVB-S2 Tuner) = EUR 269.00
VU+ Duo2 (2xDVB-S2 Tuner) = EUR 349.00

The advantages of the Duo2 over Solo2 which I can tell are, more RAM and Flash, builtin WIFI, 2.5/3.5 in HDD instead of 3.5 in HDD, more options to configure the tuners. But still can't decide. I need experienced users to guide me. I know a couple of years ago some people were preferring Solo2 over Duo2 because of the price difference. Now the case is difference I guess.

I will be waiting for your recommendations.

Thanks,
Mak

goosegog
19-04-15, 12:17
hi iMak,if your sure its a choice between the two youve mentioned i would only think on how many tuners you think you will need in the future,i wouldnt worry about ram and flash or size of hdd.
if you opt for a solo 2 be very careful not to buy a clone.price is normaly a give away but not %100,if in doubt buy from WOS

Andy_Hazza
19-04-15, 12:46
Take a look at the Mut@nt HD2400, great receiver. And btw your new purchase should be the main box n the clone relegated to the 2nd tv room. [emoji106]🏼

DaMacFunkin
19-04-15, 13:06
If you ever needed extra tuners on the solo2 you could add USB ones, the sundtek tuners are better than the dvbsky cheepies. I have solo2 and duo2 with USB tuners with no problems.

iMak
19-04-15, 22:58
Thank you guys for your reply. To assure you, the receivers are genuine and what I really need to know is, if you are experienced with VU products, which model you will get given the above prices?

iMak
19-04-15, 23:01
@DaMacFunkin

We only use DVB-S2 in my country. Initially I need two tuners for recording purposes. So what do you recommend, 2x DVB-S2 Tuners or 1x DVB-S2 Dual Tuner?

cactikid
19-04-15, 23:04
look at it this way if you only want sat solo2,or thinking in the future might be moving to a house that has cable then duo2,you wont go wrong on the solo2:thumbsup:

2 tuners for recording yes and watch recording on internal hdd at the same time.

nsw9154
20-04-15, 01:50
Here is a link to the sponsors site http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/

iMak
24-04-15, 11:23
OK. I think I decided to go with Duo2. Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

Which tuner option is better 2xDVB-S2 Tuner or 1xDVB-S2 Dual Tuner?

Andy_Hazza
24-04-15, 17:35
Mut@nt HD2400 is an excellent receiver. You can't go wrong with a VU+ receiver too, and the Duo2 is an excellent receiver, I have had a Duo2 but do prefer the Mut@nt HD2400, but everyone to their own. [emoji106]🏼

SpaceRat
25-04-15, 00:12
DuoČ
1xDual Tuner

Why?

1. The price difference is rather small. With a DuoČ you have all options to expand or replace tuners later. Also 3.5" HDDs are still somewhat cheaper than 2.5" and larger ones are available than in 2.5" form factor.
Extending using USB tuners is possible, but one good USB tuner is more expensive than a second dual tuner for the DuoČ.
DuoČ does hardware transcoding, SoloČ only software transcoding.
The DuoČ has a nicer remote too.
The only reason for a SoloČ would be if a larger box annoys you.

2. Dual Tuner is simple:
The DuoČ has two tuner slots. With 2 single tuners it would be full, with 1 dual tuner you can still add another DVB-C/T, DVB-C/T2, DVB-S2 or Dual-DVB-S2 tuner later.
Also the Dual Tuner is said to have a better quality.

Huevos
25-04-15, 01:09
Solo2 has a better tuner for blindscan. Also blindscan does not work on second tuner of dual tuner card.

Duo2 only has 2 tuner slots. Mutant, with 4 slots that can be used in any combination is much more versatile. For example 3 DVB-S and 1 DVB-T/C is not possible with Duo2.

judge
25-04-15, 01:27
While the Solo2 is a great box, I'd be looking at the Xtrend ET8000, much better value for money at the moment.
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2

DaMacFunkin
25-04-15, 06:39
Solo2 has a better tuner for blindscan. Also blindscan does not work on second tuner of dual tuner card.

Duo2 only has 2 tuner slots. Mutant, with 4 slots that can be used in any combination is much more versatile. For example 3 DVB-S and 1 DVB-T/C is not possible with Duo2.

...Unless you use USB tuners, my duo2 currently has 3x S2 & 2x C/T2 tuners.

Sicilian
25-04-15, 07:09
USB tuners always flaky imo on duo2, tested loads on Duo2, IMO they have the worst USB tuner support out there. Suntek hybrid with pctv nano2 t2 cannot be used with internal vu+ hybrid tuner.

Mutant, xtrend more internal tuners and much better USB tuner support. Mutant hd2400 supports 4 internal + 3 USB vtuners, pretty sure xtrends support the same amount of USB tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

couchpotato
25-04-15, 09:10
bought the vu+ solo 2 recently from wos and its a great machine. Recommended.

twol
25-04-15, 09:25
While the Solo2 is a great box, I'd be looking at the Xtrend ET8000, much better value for money at the moment.
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2
Have to agree, a very solid, no thrills box, that does what it says (except transcoding) and still gets driver updates.

kunmun23
08-06-15, 22:45
Hi all,
I too am in similar dilemma..Solo2 or Duo2. Not so much concerned about multiple tuners (only need 2), but would be looking at decent transcoding. Is there much difference in transcoding capabilities of Solo2 or Duo2? Is there any other box that does better transcoding? ET10k ? Mutant 2400?