PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] NFS issue

goosegog
15-04-15, 22:35
hi,ive NFS share set to share between my duo and my solo2 to view recordings on the solo from the duo,when i flash both stbs and set up NFS share all works great for a couple of days then i will get a warning sign saying no directory found.a restart of both boxes fixes the issue,no ball ache really but just curious to see if anyone else has the same problem or an idea if i am doing anything wrong.
ive tried samba in the past and that seemed worse
i aint set ip on either box
both boxes put on standby at night with no powertimers
cheers

Walt
15-04-15, 22:48
Mine does it too but I've put it down to my duo2 using wireless.

goosegog
15-04-15, 22:51
Mine does it too but I've put it down to my duo2 using wireless.

thanks for reply walt,both my boxes are wired:confused:

birdman
16-04-15, 01:27
Just out of curiosity - do either of the boxes use DHCP for their IP address?

goosegog
16-04-15, 13:23
Hi,yeah im sure ive DHCP set to yes
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goosegog
16-04-15, 13:27
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/16/f1001128cab9da011d079bbb80fe9250.jpg
This is an old picture off my phone but im sure i dont change anything in this setting
Thanks

Piranha
16-04-15, 17:11
Always had the same problem. I have two TM Twins and mount each HDD as a NFS share. Like you, I can access the other receivers' HDD for a few days and then get the annoying 'directory media/autofs/XYZ does not exist' message.
Don't normally reboot though - just go to Menu/Setup/System/Network/Mounts setup/Mount manager/Mount points management - then select the mount and press OK to edit, then OK again to activate the settings - a nag screen will come up 'A mount entry with this name already exists! Update existing entry and continue? Default is 'no' - select 'yes' and then OK.
The mount will be activated and then you can access it through your media list by pressing the yellow button 'Location' as usual.
It is a minor inconvenience which I have just accepted up to now. If it is the same in the new image series I might raise it on here, unless someone responds to your thread with an answer.
BTW, there is an option in the Network Mount manager 'Setup Mount Again', which, although I have this set to 'Schedule Mount Again' - 'yes' and every hour, has never seemed to work for me!

birdman
16-04-15, 19:07
Hi,yeah im sure ive DHCP set to yesThat coudl well be the problem, then. Since NFS works by identifying the system at the other end by its address. So if your system wakes up and gets given a different IP address by the DHCP server things may well fail.

Try setting a static address for both systems (obviously ones which are not within the range served out by the DHCP server) or configure the DHCP server to allocate specific IP addresses to the two MAC addresses of the servers involved.

goosegog
16-04-15, 21:02
thanks for the input fellas i will try the suggestions
cheers

johnhoe
16-04-15, 21:37
No I dont think this is a DHCP problem. I have a static address and still have the problem with my Solo2.
The NFS share often disappears randomly in spite of the refresh every 1 hr in the software.
I agree this is a problem.

tuneboy2005
18-04-15, 20:18
Here too, i have on my synology nas server 4 NFS shares to my vu+ solo2. It all works fine until some time all my 4 shares are gone sudenly. When i reboot i have my shares back until i watch some content on my nas and then it happens again after a while, again all my share (mounts) are gone. My box has a static IP. Very annoying since i missed some recording due to that issue

birdman
18-04-15, 23:53
Since I happen to have a test NFS server setup I've added a location to my box, moved an old recording to it (which worked) and will see what happens.
I actually wrote a few lines of the code for the automount process, so I might be able to get some idea of what is (not) happening.

birdman
19-04-15, 00:31
Here too, i have on my synology nas server 4 NFS shares to my vu+ solo2. It all works fine until some time all my 4 shares are gone sudenly. When i reboot i have my shares back...So do you leave your box on permanently? Mine goes into Deep Standby every day.

tuneboy2005
19-04-15, 09:33
So do you leave your box on permanently? Mine goes into Deep Standby every day.

No my box goes everyday in normal standby, not DEEP standby.
Even when i am looking to a recording, half way that recording my box crashes because the mounts are sudenly gone. when i reboot it works again. Sor for me this box is useless when it comes to record programs or watch recordings.

birdman
19-04-15, 11:46
No my box goes everyday in normal standby, not DEEP standby.So actually, "yes" you do leave the box on all of the time!
Standby just shuts down a few outputs but leaves the system, and hence the automounter, running.

tuneboy2005
19-04-15, 11:51
So actually, "yes" you do leave the box on all of the time!
Standby just shuts down a few outputs but leaves the system, and hence the automounter, running.

indeed so the mounts are lost during playback of recordings or even just when i am watching TV (no recordings)

birdman
19-04-15, 20:05
indeed so the mounts are lost during playback of recordings or even just when i am watching TV (no recordings)The file-system will be unmounted when you are watching TV as it won't be in use and the automounter is configured to try to unmount every 5s (!?!). However, if you are playing back a recording then it shouldn't be able to unmount it as there will be an open file-handle on it.
And even if it did unmount it then it should be able to remount it on demand - and it sounds as though that doesn't happen either.
The only reason I can see for it stopping in mid-flight is a resource issue (part of my code contribution a few years ago was to fix a file-handle leak in early v5 code - but that was put into 5.0.1rc3). But I used autofs on Unix/Linux systems at work where we had around 20 automount maps with a few thousand entries between them and never had a problem, so wouldn't expect one here.

cactikid
19-04-15, 22:51
[QUOTE=goosegog;350762]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/16/f1001128cab9da011d079bbb80fe9250.jpg
This is an old picture off my phone but im sure i dont change anything in this setting
Thanks

curious as i looked on my solo and your box has only got primary dns and all my other settings do have info,my boxes are switched off by remote red button.:confused::D

goosegog
19-04-15, 23:00
[QUOTE=goosegog;350762]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/16/f1001128cab9da011d079bbb80fe9250.jpg
Thanks

curious as i looked on my solo and your box has only got primary dns and all my other settings do have info,my boxes are switched off by remote red button.:confused::D

sorry buddy,i think i was setting up from scratch on that photo,just had a look now in adapter settings and all current settings are there instead of N/A

cactikid
19-04-15, 23:07
ha ha i thought you were well screwed :D

goosegog
19-04-15, 23:20
ha ha i thought you were well screwed :D

haha yeah defo,i tried to take a screen grab using telnet but it only showed the tv picture and not the settings,so i used an old photo off my phone:thumbsup:

birdman
20-04-15, 00:45
The NFS share often disappears randomly in spite of the refresh every 1 hr in the software.
I agree this is a problem.If you are using automount (==autofs), which I'm assuming that everyone is, then the "refresh" will have no effect as automounts are only mounted when in use (well, that's the intent anyway...).

johnhoe
20-04-15, 08:40
If you are using automount (==autofs), which I'm assuming that everyone is, then the "refresh" will have no effect as automounts are only mounted when in use (well, that's the intent anyway...).

Point taken ... but the fact that the nfs mount is randomly disappearing is the real point here.
This has been happening as far back in the Apollo image as I can remember.

birdman
20-04-15, 11:49
Point taken ... but the fact that the nfs mount is randomly disappearing is the real point here.Agreed.
But the report of it disappearing while it is being used is very odd.
Bear in mind that it could be a problem at the NFS server end.

What is really needed is some information from the system just after the problem occurs.

johnhoe
20-04-15, 14:45
I myself haven't experienced it disappearing whilst it is being used. Also I never put the box into any kind of standby.
I assumed before it was a possible problem with my NAS drive that's why I didn't report it. I have since then discounted this, as in my case I can ALWAYS see the NFS share on my windows computers, even when it disappears from the VU Solo2 box shares. I just feel it is far more likely that this is some sort of coding problem. After all, we can't all have faulty hardware can we? and I presume we all have different types of shares (ie Nas drives). Mine for the record is a Netgear Stora NAS.

Incidentally... although my default recording path is to the NFS share, as I have an internal HD in the Solo2, many recordings randomly appear on the hard disk rather than the default NFS share, which again seems to point to a problem. Then, when I check to play back the recording, the share sometimes reappears when I go to the stored location settings or sometimes not... and that's when I get the path not found message.

birdman
21-04-15, 00:53
as in my case I can ALWAYS see the NFS share on my windows computers, even when it disappears from the VU Solo2 box shares.You're running an NFS client on MS Windows?!?

johnhoe
21-04-15, 07:35
You're running an NFS client on MS Windows?!?
Whoops sorry.... Omit the nfs word... I can see the share active on Windows even when it disappears on the VU box. OK??

Tkr001
21-04-15, 08:55
Yes but it is immaterial as windows will be using a cifs share.

johnhoe
21-04-15, 09:09
Yes but it is immaterial as windows will be using a cifs share.
Yes I know but at least it shows that the NAS drive hardware is working correctly.
Sigh... guys give me a break. I'm just reporting a problem. If you can explain the share disappearing please help...

tuneboy2005
23-04-15, 17:05
Hi, i switched to the Blackhole image to test if my NFS shares are working and staying good en guess what? Problem is gone!! I will test it some more days en then reflash my box again with the VIX image to see if problem happens again

Fuzzy
23-04-15, 23:26
I recently got a solo2 to go with my duo2 and I used nfs to share the files on my duo2 with the solo2. It worked fine until I changed the local ip address of both machines. I didn't use DHCP and I just changed the ip addresses in the network setttings. I changed the ip addresses to high numbers so that they were always the same - I didn't want another network device grabbing the ip address of one of the machines if the machine was switched off.

After the ip address change, nfs stopped working. The duo2 was visible but always came up with an error if I tried accessing it from the solo2. I tried rescanning the network and uninstalling and reinstalling nfs but nothing I tried fixed the problem.

As a last resort, I reflashed the solo2 and set it up again from scratch. It worked fine again once I'd setup nfs on the solo2.

I don't know if any of this helps, but thought I let you know that you're not the only one to have had problems with nfs.

goosegog
24-04-15, 00:08
Not sure if its pure luck but i aint had any issues with nfs for a while and i aint changed any settings or updated anything,tried all kinds of reboots to stbs and internet

goosegog
10-05-15, 12:31
not sure if its just me but im still having the same problem with NFS share between two stbs,not sure if its just a coincidence but i just lose share from duo to solo 2 and never the other way around:confused:
like ive said earlier no real ball ache as a reboot of both stbs seem to fix but its still confusing
duo:hades 004
solo2:hades 004

goosegog
28-05-15, 21:19
Anyone out there have nfs share working without having to do a reboot every now an again as im keen on what settings anyone has or if samba works ok?

cactikid
28-05-15, 22:12
i am using nfs on all my boxes and no problems yet,has your ip changed and your using a hard wired connection,stopped using samba ages ago when i had issues of no connection.:D

white_westie
28-05-15, 22:13
Anyone out there have nfs share working without having to do a reboot every now an again as im keen on what settings anyone has or if samba works ok?

Yep, have my xtrend et9000 sharing out its hdd for the last 3 years.
Using xtrend et4000, wdmedia box as clients - not requiring regular reboots to fix nfs
Both stb's only upgraded recently to Apollo 166 (previously running openbix 3.0)

Just installed nfs server via network panel and using standard /etc/exports file

root@et9x00:~# cat /etc/exports
/media/hdd/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_subtree_chec k)
/media/hdd2/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_subtree_chec k)
/media/usb/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_subtree_chec k)
root@et9x00:~#

On et4000 client using mounted as follows

root@et4x00:~# cat /etc/fstab
rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto 0 0
tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
UUID=79cf3e3c-eef3-478d-bf4f-8cd77ce4e747 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0
192.168.X.XX:/media/hdd /media/hdd nfs _netdev,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8 192,timeo=14,fg,soft,intr 0 0
root@et4x00:~#

Did have to reboot wdlive box to get nfs running properly, but that's because nfs support was an odd addon in the firmware

PS: I use static addresses on everything on my n/w that's wired (which is everything except phones and wireless laptops)
Also do not use cifs at all (never configured and have the server stopped)

WW

Fuzzy
28-05-15, 22:25

Mine has been fine since I fixed the ip addresses of both boxes. I just use nfs, nothing else.

goosegog
29-05-15, 12:17
thanks for replies ive tried setting a static ip but i couldnt mount either way ive went back to using DHCP and everything is sharing ok can anyone tell me if my settings are correct in mounts editor and in the other pic do the red crosses mean anything as when i done this a year or so back im sure they where green ticks,cifs share from my lap top never fails
thanks

john doe
30-05-15, 20:24
thanks for replies ive tried setting a static ip but i couldnt mount either way ive went back to using DHCP and everything is sharing ok can anyone tell me if my settings are correct in mounts editor and in the other pic do the red crosses mean anything as when i done this a year or so back im sure they where green ticks,cifs share from my lap top never fails
thanks

having exact same issue with my zero. just wont mount nothing.

white_westie
30-05-15, 21:09
Lads, just realised from looking at your screenshots that I am not using autofs as my mount methodm ising the older linux fstab method
Worth a try!

cactikid
30-05-15, 21:39
a am using autofs for mounting,but query on the duo are all nfs and cifs got a green icon,as mine are checked in the edit check mounts and only got the hdd green?

goosegog
31-05-15, 09:15
a am using autofs for mounting,but query on the duo are all nfs and cifs got a green icon,as mine are checked in the edit check mounts and only got the hdd green?
im still using AUTOFS not sure where you mean.im getting red crosses in 1 and green in another,not sure if ive too many media/hdd could be confusing them:confused:
take back what i reported earlier in this thread as a reboot does not fix,it randomly works or it doesnt.

goosegog
31-05-15, 09:38
Lads, just realised from looking at your screenshots that I am not using autofs as my mount methodm ising the older linux fstab method
Worth a try!

cheers buddy,just tried that way and it wont mount,im guessing now but it might be my router its canny new and im sure i never lost my mounts with my old router.cheers

cactikid
31-05-15, 10:38
make sure nfs is running on all boxes and i see you can access your duo recordings as it has a green tick,solo2 should be the same and when i want to view different movie location i can choose the location from the list of boxes and enter from there,presume it hard wired and correct ip address.

as it goes by ip addy should not confuse if you have them all named as media-hdd.i dont use the usb or hdd2 as no idea what they are:D

goosegog
31-05-15, 19:05
make sure nfs is running on all boxes and i see you can access your duo recordings as it has a green tick,solo2 should be the same and when i want to view different movie location i can choose the location from the list of boxes and enter from there,presume it hard wired and correct ip address.

as it goes by ip addy should not confuse if you have them all named as media-hdd.i dont use the usb or hdd2 as no idea what they are:D

Yeah nfs is running on both boxes and hard wired,i think the usb and hdd2 may just be options i just use media/hdd,seems to be fine today,cheers

goosegog
31-05-15, 21:51
Just watched a recording on solo2 while it was recording and ive got a recording going on my duo and its coming up with directory doesnt exist im still confused[emoji85]