PDA

View Full Version : Nano 2 Super invisible as network shared device

ianlay
15-04-15, 18:03
TM has just changed my Nano 2 Super from 4D OpenPli4 to a Vix image (Apollo build 165).
With the 4D config I was able to see the box as a shared device on my Mac's Airport LAN and could view/transfer files directly which was a joy.
The new Vix imaged box is working well on the network and files can be accessed with ftp, but the box is now invisible as a shared device.
I really would prefer to access the Nano directly on the network rather than via ftp. Can anyone tell me how I can achieve this again, please?

Larry-G
15-04-15, 18:08
Menu > setup > system and look in the network settings section, I'm sure there is something there for allowing such access on a Mac, for windows we removed it from the image to save space but kept the header to allow users to install if needed. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm currently at work and not near a receiver to verify the exact path.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

cactikid
15-04-15, 20:31
to discover boxes on network i use nfs or samba maybe mac is different?

ianlay
16-04-15, 11:41
[QUOTE=pheonix;350635]Menu > setup > system and look in the network settings section, I'm sure there is something there for allowing such access on a Mac, for windows we removed it from the image to save space but kept the header to allow users to install if needed. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm currently at work and not near a receiver to verify the exact path.

Thanks Phoenix. I've explored the network setup menus and have set SAMBA running, but no difference. My Macs are all Intel-based devices and use SMB (=Window's SAMBA) protocol.
What's really puzzling is that the network browser on the TM Nano correctly reveals, with their names, all the devices (including itself) which are running on the network. So what's stopping the Nano from revealing its presence? The Macs check the network regularly for shares and other devices come up in seconds after they're switched on and there are no passwords etc involved.
Something I have noticed which is different from the previous 4D image, is that a tick appeared with the word "Link" at the bottom of the network setup menus when all was working correctly. On the Vix the word Link appears against a green ring. The implication to a novice user like me is that it's a (green) button to press, but this shows up as an unaccepted command. TM suggest the green ring simply denotes the same as the tick on the 4D and isn't a button, just an indicator. Would be helpful if you could clarify if this Link aspect has any significance.....

ianlay
16-04-15, 11:42
to discover boxes on network i use nfs or samba maybe mac is different?

Hi cactikid, the Macs are all Intel based and use SMB which is same as your Window's SAMBA. So still puzzled.

Walt
16-04-15, 15:36
Once samba is setup on the receiver, you have to restart the pc/Mac to make it visible.

abu baniaz
16-04-15, 15:50
Just to confirm, is workgroup name consistent with home network?

Larry-G
16-04-15, 16:08
Menu > setup > system and look in the network settings section, I'm sure there is something there for allowing such access on a Mac, for windows we removed it from the image to save space but kept the header to allow users to install if needed. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm currently at work and not near a receiver to verify the exact path.

Thanks Phoenix. I've explored the network setup menus and have set SAMBA running, but no difference. My Macs are all Intel-based devices and use SMB (=Window's SAMBA) protocol.
What's really puzzling is that the network browser on the TM Nano correctly reveals, with their names, all the devices (including itself) which are running on the network. So what's stopping the Nano from revealing its presence? The Macs check the network regularly for shares and other devices come up in seconds after they're switched on and there are no passwords etc involved.
Something I have noticed which is different from the previous 4D image, is that a tick appeared with the word "Link" at the bottom of the network setup menus when all was working correctly. On the Vix the word Link appears against a green ring. The implication to a novice user like me is that it's a (green) button to press, but this shows up as an unaccepted command. TM suggest the green ring simply denotes the same as the tick on the 4D and isn't a button, just an indicator. Would be helpful if you could clarify if this Link aspect has any significance.....

You don't want samba, samba is for windows you want AFP, I was just using samba as a reference as I was not near a receiver at the time.

Install AFP from menu> setup> system> network> AFP Setup.

ianlay
16-04-15, 18:47
I've looked further into the recognition problem and a box with SAMBA should automatically advertise itself on the network. So it seems that the 4D image either had this (or the Mac's similar "bonjour" system) implemented and the Vix doesn't for some reason. For confirmation that the network itself is working a treat, putting the Nano's IP address in the Mac's "Finder" (same as Microsoft's Explorer) does show the box as a shared device. At least getting access this way is more direct and avoids the need to use an FTP client.
Would you guys be kind enough to investigate whether or not Vix software needs some way of triggering itself to advertise its network presence over SAMBA as I really would much prefer this arrangement. If 4D can do it, you guys surely can........ Thanks in advance.

ianlay
16-04-15, 18:57
You don't want samba, samba is for windows you want AFP, I was just using samba as a reference as I was not near a receiver at the time.

Install AFP from menu> setup> system> network> AFP Setup.

Well what do you know guys! Phoenix deserves a medal. Just sent another useless post (18:47) re SAMBA so please ignore.
Loaded AFP and it's perfect, in fact even more than perfect as there are two shares showing! One as tmnano2super and the other tmnano2super AFP so I'm spoilt for choice. Great result and many, many thanks for the help.

Larry-G
16-04-15, 19:46
Well what do you know guys! Phoenix deserves a medal. Just sent another useless post (18:47) re SAMBA so please ignore.
Loaded AFP and it's perfect, in fact even more than perfect as there are two shares showing! One as tmnano2super and the other tmnano2super AFP so I'm spoilt for choice. Great result and many, many thanks for the help.

No posts are useless, thats how you learn and none of us were born all knowing. any hoo enough waffle from me. I am genuinely happy you have now resolved your issues.

abu baniaz
16-04-15, 22:49
Please note

Thread will be moved to the ViX-Team-Images-Support-Discussion section. It is best to use the image support section for image issues as problems/solutions are usually the same irrespectve of receiver. It also helps others searching for the same issue although they may have another receiver.

Please read the thread in link below which explains things better.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!

No harm has been done. Please bear in mind for future support questions.