PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a new box please

Hypnopaul
09-04-15, 21:04
Hi all after having a openbox for a few months and with the lose of the xmltv epg I feel it's time to get a good box can anyone please give me any idea I'm thinking of get the v u duo2 but im worried about it being complicated to setup I just want a box the is easy for the wife to recored and use so have a good epg for recording and easy able to find and play recordings any help please

Andy_Hazza
09-04-15, 21:19
What sort of price you wanting to pay for a receiver? You just wanting Satellite, how many feeds you wanting to connect to the receiver?

Hypnopaul
09-04-15, 21:28
Hi don't mind paying up to £300 just want a box that user friendly as the wife needs to use it I have 2 feeds but have more on the lnb

Andy_Hazza
09-04-15, 21:37
The Vu+ Solo2 is an excellent receiver >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver
Or for more options you could look at the Mutant HD2400 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Mutant-Linux-HD-Receivers/Mutant-HD2400-HD-Quad-Tuner-Digital-Receiver-2x-DVB-S-S2
The latter gives you the option to expand later on with option of adding another satellite tuner or even cable/terrestrial tuners.
I have both the Vu+ Solo2 and just recently upgraded to a Mut@nt HD2400 and both are superb boxes but the Mut@nt has more oomph as in terms of memory n hardware transcoding capabilities. [emoji106]

Andy_Hazza
09-04-15, 21:43
Having ViX installed gives you an excellent viewing experience in my opinion. You have ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) which creates your channel listings, then you have CrossEPG which gives you the 7 day guide, you have Timeshift (pause live tv), you have timers (one off recordings), you have AutoTimers (series link recordings), you have plugins where you can download skins, so if you would like the sky feel you can download the Blue HD skin or if you are used to the BT or TalkTalk youview box you can even have the youview-blue skin. The possibilities are endless with ViX, superb image and by far the best out there by country mile!!

nsw9154
09-04-15, 22:02
You beat me to it Andy :p
and like Andy said Vix is very versatile I am at the moment watching the Darts but about 1 hour behind the live transmission using Timeshift on my Mutant and I love it, it's the best receiver that I have and I also have a Duo2 a LX3 and a Gigablue Quad+ but I find myself using the Mut@nt most of the time, did I mention that I Love it :D

Larry-G
09-04-15, 22:04
To be honest using a enigma2 based receiver may be a daunting experience at first but once you give it a chance you will soon realise that you can setup and customise it exactly to your needs. I setup my Vu+ ultimo for my dad about 3 years ago and never looked back. In fact when I eventually went back to using a sky box (my card got hit with the new pairing method) he complained for weeks about the crappy sky box (his words not mine).

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
09-04-15, 22:08
You beat me to it Andy :p
and like Andy said Vix is very versatile I am at the moment watching the Darts but about 1 hour behind the live transmission using Timeshift on my Mutant and I love it, it's the best receiver that I have and I also have a Duo2 a LX3 and a Gigablue Quad+ but I find myself using the Mut@nt most of the time, did I mention that I Love it :D

God I love my Mut@nt also Norm, thanks to you and Sicilian!! [emoji106]

nsw9154
09-04-15, 22:13
I even like the remote, Andy did you find the cable for yours

Hypnopaul
09-04-15, 22:22
Thank you that answered my next question what image vix it is as for the box which do you guys feel is best the

Vu+ Plus Duo² Full HD or Mut@nt HD2400 HD

nsw9154
09-04-15, 22:28
Read my post #6

Andy_Hazza
09-04-15, 22:41
I even like the remote, Andy did you find the cable for yours

Yeah the remote is growing on me buddy [emoji106], nah didn't find the cable but I got one from a local gadget store n got a black usb plug from eBay today ready for when I need to charge it, be a while before I charge I bet though? The Mut@nt is so much better in the flesh, foto's don't do it justice, love the blue lights n blue oled display. Yum Yum!! [emoji6]

joysleep1
10-04-15, 13:32
Yeah the remote is growing on me buddy [emoji106], nah didn't find the cable but I got one from a local gadget store n got a black usb plug from eBay today ready for when I need to charge it, be a while before I charge I bet though? The Mut@nt is so much better in the flesh, foto's don't do it justice, love the blue lights n blue oled display. Yum Yum!! [emoji6]

hmm i did not think the mut@nt looked that appealing. But i guess that is just me

mann
10-04-15, 13:42
Always recommend the VU+solo2.
Small in size but huge in power,super fast,super reliable,great price.

richf176
10-04-15, 13:54
I've got a solo2 and recently a mutant very happy with both really. Mutant looks ok too not sure why some didn't like it but we are all different

digsatman
25-05-15, 15:36
............you have AutoTimers (series link recordings)..........

The autotimers are not really the same as "Series Link". The autotimers search for a programme title on certain days/times/channels whereas the "series link" used on some commercial devices like the UK Freeview and Sky boxes records the series no matter what day/time/title or even channel it is on. The "AutoTimers" on Enigma receivers do a pretty good job but sometimes a programme is listed in the schedule as "New:" and then the name of the programme which can cause an autotimer to miss a programme unless "partial match" is used.