PDA

View Full Version : Virgin media broadband and virgin media cable tv

joysleep1
08-04-15, 15:53
I am a bit confused about wheather the cable for virgin internet which screws on to the router they provide is the same cable which you can plug into a cable tuner.
I always thought it was the same and that if you have virgin media broadband you can split it and use to receive cable channels
I am sure this was the case but the guy on the virgin website who i was chatting to said that they are different cables for each.
Anyone know for sure? The cable looks the same

Thanks
J

khan888
08-04-15, 16:22
I am a bit confused about wheather the cable for virgin internet which screws on to the router they provide is the same cable which you can plug into a cable tuner.
I always thought it was the same and that if you have virgin media broadband you can split it and use to receive cable channels
I am sure this was the case but the guy on the virgin website who i was chatting to said that they are different cables for each.
Anyone know for sure? The cable looks the same

Thanks
J

You can split the broadband cable into the cable tuner, not sure why the Virgin media guy told you that [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joysleep1
08-04-15, 16:26
You can split the broadband cable into the cable tuner, not sure why the Virgin media guy told you that [emoji57]

Yh so the same cable that goes into the router can be used to pick up cable channels into a cable tuner right?

khan888
08-04-15, 16:27
Yh so the same cable that goes into the router can be used to pick up cable channels into a cable tuner right?

Yes just unscrew your broadband cable and put a splitter on, take one cable back into your modem and one into your cable tuner

joysleep1
08-04-15, 16:58
Yes just unscrew your broadband cable and put a splitter on, take one cable back into your modem and one into your cable tuner

Ok so once I have done that.. Could i just do an automatic scan and I should be able to pick up some channels right?

DaMacFunkin
08-04-15, 17:26
Not that simple and if you live in a heavily subscribed area you may need a powered spitter or need to wire directly into the splitter on the outside of your property (brown box).
Set up abm to scan, you will need the area Id from your official reciever.

joysleep1
09-04-15, 08:07
Not that simple and if you live in a heavily subscribed area you may need a powered spitter or need to wire directly into the splitter on the outside of your property (brown box).
Set up abm to scan, you will need the area Id from your official reciever.

Well I don't have a splitter so I was just planning to take the cable out from my cousins router and plug it into my receiver. I don't know what the area id is but is there anyway I can scan for channels without it. I just want to test my cable tuner is picking up something so it's not faulty. Would an automatic scan pick up anything if the feed is live?
Also when I'm done. I plan to screw the cable back into his router. I'm hoping the Internet will work for him straight away rather than having to call an engineer or something.

thor1
09-04-15, 08:16
you will need a cable feed at all time

joysleep1
09-04-15, 16:04
you will need a cable feed at all time

What doy you mean. The signal that provides the internet is the same that provides the cable channels.

thor1
09-04-15, 16:20
What doy you mean. The signal that provides the internet is the same that provides the cable channels.

to view channels you will need cable connected, to test your receiver just do a download you should get some FTA, you will need your area Net ID

abu baniaz
09-04-15, 16:52
The Net ID is only used to filter out channels.

You can scan as per this screenshot. The channels not intended for that area will be found but will not work.

joysleep1
09-04-15, 16:57
Well I do know what the net id is. I just know he lives at south West London. So I'm just hoping to pick to pick up something so I know there's nothing wrong with my cable tuner. The only thing I'm concerned about is that when I'm finished with his cable will his Internet work right away one I screw that back on to his router?

abu baniaz
09-04-15, 17:06
Reconnect cable, reboot modem. He should be fine.

joysleep1
09-04-15, 17:08
Reconnect cable, reboot modem. He should be fine.

Kool thanks abu
One other thing. What does network scan mean?
I won't have Internet access when I'm doing the scan.

abu baniaz
09-04-15, 17:23
It scans the signal network. Nothing to do with internet/wifi etc.

I must warn you, just because you have adequate signal for a modem to function correctly, it does not mean you have adequate signal for Cable TV. It has been mentioned a few times, hope you did not miss it.

joysleep1
09-04-15, 18:29
It scans the signal network. Nothing to do with internet/wifi etc.

I must warn you, just because you have adequate signal for a modem to function correctly, it does not mean you have adequate signal for Cable TV. It has been mentioned a few times, hope you did not miss it.

Yh I understand that but I should pick something tho just so I know if the tuner is working

rossi2000
09-04-15, 18:32
dont forget your adapter to turn the f-connector into the other type

the cable from the router will NOT fit into your tuner.

joysleep1
09-04-15, 20:53
dont forget your adapter to turn the f-connector into the other type

the cable from the router will NOT fit into your tuner.

Oh yh the connector... Yh thanks.