PDA

View Full Version : cable tuner easy test

joysleep1
07-04-15, 19:45
So i bought an xtrend 10000 with 2 DVB-s and two DVB- c tuners a few weeks ago.
My satellite is working perfect but when I take it upstairs into the loft I can not get to my virgin media cable to pick up and free to air channels. I have tried everything, spending so much time with automatic scans, manual scans and auto-boquets. I just do not pick up anything. It is strange because i am sure i picked up something with the mut@nt two months ago.
Anyways, i want to know if either the line is deactivated or that my tuners are faulty.
So i plan to take my box to my friends house who has virgin media broadband. So i will take it out of his router and plug it into my DVB-c tuner.
What is the quickest way for me to find out of the cable tuner is faulty in terms of scanning for channels? I just want to make sure i input the correct settings

THanks

abu baniaz
07-04-15, 19:50
Best way to check tuner is to connect to aerial and use as DVB-T.

For DVB-C, call the provider to check your signal levels.

joysleep1
07-04-15, 20:05
Best way to check tuner is to connect to aerial and use as DVB-T.

For DVB-C, call the provider to check your signal levels.

Oh my cable tuners are only dvb-c tuners. But now that you bring this up. I am a little confused. Is it possible to pick up terrestrial TV from the virgin media cable?
Because I only have two dvb-c tuners. Not dvb-c/t2

abu baniaz
07-04-15, 20:21
They are switchable tuners, you can alter whether it is cable or terrestrial. There is no terrestrial service on VM cable. You have to connect to aerial if you want to use as DVB-T.

VM alter people's power levels based on equipment that is subscribed. The signal levels/power required for Cable modem are not the same for Cable TV.

joysleep1
07-04-15, 20:32
They are switchable tuners, you can alter whether it is cable or terrestrial. There is no terrestrial service on VM cable. You have to connect to aerial if you want to use as DVB-T.

VM alter people's power levels based on equipment that is subscribed. The signal levels/power required for Cable modem are not the same for Cable TV.

So an aerial would not work on my tuner as it's only dvb-c?

abu baniaz
07-04-15, 20:40
What receiver do you have?

joysleep1
07-04-15, 20:44
What receiver do you have?

It's on my first post.
Xtrend et10000

abu baniaz
07-04-15, 20:48
Can you not do as in this video?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44550-Technomate-TM-Nano-3T-COMBO-Receiver-Advice&p=347586&viewfull=1#post347586

If not, I am mistaken about the tuners being hybrid.

rossi2000
07-04-15, 20:54
xtrend do have only dvb-c tuners, i had one in my et8000

joysleep1
14-04-15, 13:35
xtrend do have only dvb-c tuners, i had one in my et8000

No. Dvb-c/t2 tuners do exist. I've just bought one on ebay. I'm planning on taking out my my dvb-c tuner and replacing it with that one.
Btw.. I can choose just to scan tuner c right even tho I have another dvb-c tuner on slot d. I don't want tuner d to scan anything when I fit this in.
I'm hoping I can do that

abu baniaz
14-04-15, 13:46
How will you be scanning?

thor1
14-04-15, 13:51
newer xtrend tuners are switchable, but they still do a cable only tuner

DaMacFunkin
14-04-15, 14:21
This isn't a scare story, a couple of months ago 2 of my friends came home to discover their enigma 2 cable boxes in their conservatorys (next door neighbours) were not working, apparently there had been a new install in the street and the installers had been to a few people's houses and replaced their 4 way splitter in their brown boxes to a splitter suitable for the number of registered devices in the house, in both cases a 2 way effectively disconnecting any unofficial equipment, the engineers then obviously adjusted their power levels accordingly (. A signal through a 2 way splitter needs less power than a signal through a 4way), how do we know this, because an attempt to re introduce a 4 way splitter lead to some channels breaking up...

joysleep1
14-04-15, 15:46
How will you be scanning?

Erm i probably will do a manual scan of tuner C becuase i want to test that one.
Altho, could i possibly do an autoboquets search only scanning for tuner c?

abu baniaz
14-04-15, 16:13
ABM will use use last free tuner.
AB cable will use currently active tuner.

joysleep1
14-04-15, 16:24
ABM will use use last free tuner.
AB cable will use currently active tuner.

Sorry abu
what is the differenece between ABM and AB?

abu baniaz
14-04-15, 16:29
ABM = By OE Alliance
AB C2 = By Lraizer

joysleep1
14-04-15, 16:38
ABM = By OE Alliance
AB C2 = By Lraizer

Ok so i am little confused sorry.
my tuner should be delivered by the time i get home and i hope to test this particular DVB-C/t2 inside my xtrend. Should i take out my DVB-c in slot C or my DVB-c slot D to test?
Thanks

abu baniaz
14-04-15, 16:51
Should i take out my DVB-c in slot C or my DVB-c slot D to test?

I am not understanding what you mean to ask.

Do the following:

Option 1.
Leave DVB-C in slot C. Configure it as nothing connected. That way it will not be used by Enigma2
Insert DVB-C/T2 in slot D. Connect signal cable to to this tuner. Configure to DVB-C.

Option 2.
Remove DVB-C tuner and place somewhere safe.
Place DVB-T2/C tuner in slot D. Connect signal cable to to this tuner. Configure to DVB-C.

joysleep1
14-04-15, 16:53
I am not understanding what you mean to ask.

Do the following:

Option 1.
Leave DVB-C in slot C. Configure it as nothing connected. That way it will not be used by Enigma2

Insert DVB-C/T2 in slot D. Connect signal cable to to this tuner. Configure to DVB-C.

Option 2.
Remove DVB-C tuner and place somewhere safe.
Place DVB-T2/C tuner in slot D. Connect signal cable to to this tuner. Configure to DVB-C.

OK thanks abu
I will go with option 1