PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on lx2?

tiptop1
07-04-15, 19:01
Hello guys. I am looking to buy the lx2 to replace my Amiko Alien 2. I can't really find any reviews on the web for this box and wondered what everyone's thoughts are?

I am thinking of buying this from the sponsor as it seems like a good deal but would appreciate some feedback from those that have already bought it.

Thanks

nsw9154
07-04-15, 19:36
I have the LX3 and very happy with it so if the LX2 is half as good it should be a good receiver and like you say a cracking deal from the sponsors

mogli
07-04-15, 19:37
I have an lx2, very good for the money

tiptop1
08-04-15, 07:02
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will go for it. I am just looking for a good stable duel tuner box. The lx3 is in a totally different league as it has a super fast CPU.

Forcefire
09-04-15, 07:43
I have a LX2 and think for the price its a brilliant box, very stable, fast and does everything I wanted from it. The recordings are great, playback is stable and the remote is very easy to use.

I got my box from World of Satellite for £109 + P&P with the Vix image installed, was delivered next day and hasn't let me down yet :)

tiptop1
10-04-15, 23:10
Got mine from the sponsors yesterday. Got it up and running in no time and definitely seems more stable than running E2 on my Amiko. Still finding my way round though.

judge
10-04-15, 23:31
Got it up and running in no time and definitely seems more stable than running E2 on my Amiko. Still finding my way round though.
Proper E2 will not be stable on any current Amiko box, chip not designed for it.

Jerri
11-04-15, 04:06
Sorry. I don't mean to hijack but I didn't want to start a new thread to as a similar question.

Basically before I buy I have a few questions.

Can these boxes get catch up TV? If so can you download to the box or do you have to stream?

I have a 2.5" external HDD. Will the box power it or do I need a powered external drive?

I assume auto timer works on these boxes?

Please excuse my ignorance and what is probably daft questions but I'm very new to enigma boxes.

Sicilian
11-04-15, 07:01
No enigma2 receiver has full catchup tv capabilities. The is an ondemand plugin, buts it very limited, no access to iplayer anymore.

Yes openvix has auto timers embedded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dex
14-04-15, 12:39
I've just received my LX2 Combo. Apart from a helicopter sound when first setting it up/i.e. during installation/tuning phase, there's a continuous helicopter buzzing sound. When that's completed and when using the box, the helicopter sound is gone. Just playing around with it at the moment.

AciidSn3ak3r
17-04-15, 20:15
Helicopter sound doesn't sound good. Mine doesn't make any noise at all....ever!

galaxy5
18-04-15, 20:44
Only issue I had setting up is that I had to use a scart lead to get any display output from unit, working OK now, nice and quick, but disappointed as world of satellites advertise this box with 512mb ram and 512 mb flash, openvix shows only 256mb ram and 512mb flash, again despite this box is working fine, I have added 1tb USB Hard drive to unit,
Only other issue is that the programable remote switches my hdmi input on my TV to a hdmi channel with no output, which might have been the reason for no initial hdmi output, TV is Samsung 21 inch with 1080p output

pac2000
25-04-15, 14:36
All Enigma2 Boxes I've Got Use Roughly Half The RAM As System Overheads... That Is Perfectly Normal...

Larry-G
28-04-15, 15:43
disappointed as world of satellites advertise this box with 512mb ram and 512 mb flash, openvix shows only 256mb ram and 512mb flash, again despite this box is working fine.

That's not the fault of the sponsor, he correctly listed the actual amounts of flash and ram that ships in the receiver, the operating system occupies portions of this for its own use, same as with every other piece of tech out there including your smart phone. Even sky uk boxes used to ship with a HDD which was partitioned in half for other functions that were not available to the end user.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

gkf9
28-04-15, 16:39
I'm a bit disappointed with mine, get a lot of lag when opening the epg and navigating around the epg menu, sometimes the remote seems a little unresponsive.

Apart from that it's ok.

Larry-G
28-04-15, 16:49
Have you tried using a swap file ?, normally I advise against such but on receivers at the lower end of the scale such as these or the Vu+ duo / Solo a swap file can help especially with things like EPG which is self can be a very memory hungry application.

gkf9
28-04-15, 19:08
Swap file? I've heard of it, but haven't a clue what it does, will have to have a Google.

I'll try anything if it speeds my box up.

Sicilian
28-04-15, 19:15
Swap file? I've heard of it, but haven't a clue what it does, will have to have a Google.

I'll try anything if it speeds my box up.

1) Connect a USB stick or HDD.
2) Initlise with receier.
3) Blue button > ViX > Swap file manager.

Simple :)

You'll find the bouquet EPG screen opening will vary depending what favourites/bouquets list you''re in. You need keep in mind the amount of data that its opening. @ £109 imo pretty much un-beatable value for money.

gkf9
28-04-15, 20:27
I'll give it a go, yeah I can't or shouldn't really moan, yeah it's a great price and I'm fairly happy, just wish it was a little snappier, doesn't help when the wife's moaning that it takes to long.

Mabye I'll see how I go on and upgrade to something with more power later on down the line.

nsw9154
28-04-15, 22:31
That can be a problem with the lower end receivers they might give you all the show and facilities of a more expensive receiver but they have no go lol
i had a Solo2 and decided to get a second receiver so i bought a miraclebox it was a nice twin tuner receiver and did every thing that i needed, but compared to my Solo2 it was so slow i could not get used to it so it had to go
you will get their mate and when you do finally get that Fast receiver you will understand why they are more expensive, but then again i think that you already have :D

plus if the wife is complaining that gives you a Good Excuse to upgrade :)

judge
28-04-15, 23:49
It's a single core box, so will be slightly laggy when doing memory intensive tasks.
Are you using an all channels bouquet? If so, maybe better off not creating that one.

gkf9
29-04-15, 07:36
That can be a problem with the lower end receivers they might give you all the show and facilities of a more expensive receiver but they have no go lol
i had a Solo2 and decided to get a second receiver so i bought a miraclebox it was a nice twin tuner receiver and did every thing that i needed, but compared to my Solo2 it was so slow i could not get used to it so it had to go
you will get their mate and when you do finally get that Fast receiver you will understand why they are more expensive, but then again i think that you already have :D

plus if the wife is complaining that gives you a Good Excuse to upgrade :)

Might be a while before I get to upgrade, only had the box a few weeks.
I was originally going to buy one of the cheaper openbox jobbies, but after hearing about the speed and the price of the Xpeed lx2 decided to stretch my budget a little further.

Would have probably gone for one of the solo 2 boxes if I had my way,but the wife is no teckie by a long way and would of killed me for spending that much money!

Are the solo 2 boxes really fast then at getting the guide up etc?
And if/when I do upgrade to one, hopefully in the future, which one do i need? Just want one where I can watch a channel whilst recording another. Get a bit confused with all the different models.

TIA

gkf9
29-04-15, 07:40
It's a single core box, so will be slightly laggy when doing memory intensive tasks.
Are you using an all channels bouquet? If so, maybe better off not creating that one.

Not sure which one I'm using, flashed the image off a members off here to get me up and running.

How do i find out?

judge
29-04-15, 07:45
Not sure which one I'm using, flashed the image off a members off here to get me up and running.

How do i find out?
Don't flash a so called backup image, flash an original image for the box from http://openvix.co.uk
Then, Menu - Information - About, will show you.

gkf9
29-04-15, 08:06
I don't think there is anything wrong with the image I flashed off a member, it was a very basic image, and has been a god send to get me up and running, got it from here.

Will have a check in menu when I get home.

Andy_Hazza
29-04-15, 08:36
Might be a while before I get to upgrade, only had the box a few weeks.
I was originally going to buy one of the cheaper openbox jobbies, but after hearing about the speed and the price of the Xpeed lx2 decided to stretch my budget a little further.

Would have probably gone for one of the solo 2 boxes if I had my way,but the wife is no teckie by a long way and would of killed me for spending that much money!

Are the solo 2 boxes really fast then at getting the guide up etc?
And if/when I do upgrade to one, hopefully in the future, which one do i need? Just want one where I can watch a channel whilst recording another. Get a bit confused with all the different models.

TIA

Vu+ Solo2 is a very fast receiver yes, very fast on boot up, very fast at gathering and downloading EPG data and very responsive opening channel lists/EPG etc, all in all a fantastic receiver!!

Larry-G
29-04-15, 16:22
I don't think there is anything wrong with the image I flashed off a member, it was a very basic image, and has been a god send to get me up and running, got it from here.

Will have a check in menu when I get home.

As per the forum rules please do not post live links to other forums or sites. As for backup images, you have no way of knowing what crap the so called author has hidden inside them for God knows what reason, it would not be the first time some one has used such a tactic to gain access to another's network. Not that I am saying this is the case here but if you setup the box your self you at least know what has gone into it, if you use a backup you are hoping the other person is honest and is not out to steal your data and there are way too many people out there with such motives these days,

gkf9
29-04-15, 20:18
Ok sorry about the link, yeah I get what your saying, but I'd probably still be struggling setting it up now if it weren't for that image.

It also give me a good insight to what goes where etc.

Anyway I'm now thinking about getting a solo 2, like my Xpeed but I need something more zippy.

Larry-G
29-04-15, 20:26
There are more than enough users here that would gladly help you to setup a new image, afterall that's the reason this forum exists in the first place.

judge
30-04-15, 00:29
Anyway I'm now thinking about getting a solo 2, like my Xpeed but I need something more zippy.
I'd try a fresh flash of the image from http://openvix.co.uk first. If you find that isn't zippy enough for your needs, look at dual core boxes.
VU Ultimo, while no longer produced, 2x400 core a lot more zippy than a single core at 700+ IMO.

gkf9
30-04-15, 06:51
Can't I just do a factory reset, the box come with Vix pre-installed.
I really can't see the box being much faster with a re flash to be honest.

Tried the timeshift on a hd channel the other night, couldn't FF or rw kept freezing and jittering. Had to reboot the box to get it to respond again.

Bit mad at my self for not spending the extra money and getting a better box for my needs.

Then again I was a noob ( still am ) back then and didn't know the in's and outs. Think the sat bug as got to me. I can cope atm with the box, it ain't that bad, I just hate lag with avengence!

I've really set mind on the Vu solo 2, really like the Duo2 but I think it would be over kill for me.

Larry-G
30-04-15, 07:10
Can't I just do a factory reset, the box come with Vix pre-installed.
I really can't see the box being much faster with a re flash to be honest.

Tried the timeshift on a hd channel the other night, couldn't FF or rw kept freezing and jittering. Had to reboot the box to get it to respond again.

Bit mad at my self for not spending the extra money and getting a better box for my needs.

Then again I was a noob ( still am ) back then and didn't know the in's and outs. Think the sat bug as got to me. I can cope atm with the box, it ain't that bad, I just hate lag with avengence!

I've really set mind on the Vu solo 2, really like the Duo2 but I think it would be over kill for me.

All a factory reset will do is erase the user area of the current installed image, it wont remove any plugins already installed and it wont return it back to factory (yes the name is misleading but it has always been so). As for a fresh flash speeding yup the receiver, it depends on what plugins were pre-installed by the backup's creator and as a rule they throw all kinds of crap in there with no thought about how the box will perform afterwards.

gkf9
30-04-15, 07:29
So if I remove the plug in's from with in the box, there will still be traces of it around?

To be honest I'm a little nervous of starting over again and getting my box up and running. But in the back of mind I need peace of mind to see if this would speed the box up. And also I'll have the comfort of knowing how to set up from scratch.

It would really help if someone with the same box said there box was fast then I could compare etc.

I'll have to wait till I get some spare time, if I bugger it up and the wife and little girl have no tv, I'll be in the dog house. :eek:

gkf9
30-04-15, 07:54
Few questions before I re - flash
Is there anything I need to install after flash?
Does the crossepg and AM come already in the Vix image?

Larry-G
30-04-15, 13:11
CrossEPG and ABM are built into the image by default, you just need set them up to your liking, but before you get that far make a full set of backups from your current image, this way if some thing does go wrong you can reload the old image to save time and earache from the family.

gkf9
30-04-15, 13:18
Sorry one more question, are the soft cams built into the plugins, or do I need to download them?

Already got a image back up so should be good to go.

Thanks.

Larry-G
30-04-15, 13:20
Softcams are available from our plugin feeds but you will have to provide your own config files as we dont for legal reasons.

gkf9
01-05-15, 22:50
Well I'm definitely going to have to do a fresh flash, my box as got into a crashing loop everytime I load media now.

tiptop1
27-05-15, 23:05
I haven't been on the forums for a while as my box has been running fine.

It is a good little box. I am running the OpenVix image on it and it has been absolutely fine.

The only downside of the box, in my opinion, is that the picture quality isn't as good as my Panasonic twin tuner freesat box. But overall for the money, it is a good box.

My box is really quiet and the EPG displays pretty quickly.

I turn my box off at night and the next day I have to reload the EPG. Does anyone know why it doesn't show the previously downloaded data as I thought it saved this to the memory stick.

rob1979
03-06-15, 17:36
I got this box yesterday and it is worse than my old Technomate. It's just taken 9 minutes to download the plugins menu. Is this normal??? The lag on it is horrendous when using the menus.

Sicilian
03-06-15, 18:38
I got this box yesterday and it is worse than my old Technomate. It's just taken 9 minutes to download the plugins menu. Is this normal??? The lag on it is horrendous when using the menus.

9 minutes? Doubt its the receiver more like an issue with your connection to the plugins downloads server.

rob1979
03-06-15, 20:29
9 minutes? Doubt its the receiver more like an issue with your connection to the plugins downloads server.

Any tips to improve it? The box seems very laggy in general when using menus, etc.

gkf9
03-06-15, 22:21
My LX2 lags in the menus and the EPG takes about 7 secs to load, sometimes have to reboot it when it slows down.
Thinking of getting a VU solo2 to replace it, I hate lag.

rob1979
04-06-15, 08:50
My LX2 lags in the menus and the EPG takes about 7 secs to load, sometimes have to reboot it when it slows down.
Thinking of getting a VU solo2 to replace it, I hate lag.

Did you do a reflash? Did it help?

rob1979
04-06-15, 08:56
Would there be any benefit in flashing with a different image?

gkf9
04-06-15, 10:16
Did you do a reflash? Did it help?

Yes flashed to Hades, and have kept up with the updates, got a better 3.0 Usb for Epg, still no different.
There seems to be a 2 sec delay before the box actually acknowledges the remote command.

Sicilian
04-06-15, 10:24
Yes flashed to Hades, and have kept up with the updates, got a better 3.0 Usb for Epg, still no different.
There seems to be a 2 sec delay before the box actually acknowledges the remote command.

As stated before, LX2 has a single core 750MHz CPU, it does take a little time populate EPG screen on large bouquets. Think you need to remember the LX2 is an entry level receiver at a budget affordable price. Its a genuine receiver with genuine support. If you want super quick spend more and buy a 1.3GHz cpu model. It performs exaclty the same as any other receiver with the same CPU, like the XP1000, Octagon SF8 to name a couple.

gkf9
04-06-15, 10:38
Yeah I understand it's a level entry receiver, I'm more than happy with it, think it's because I've got a good idea how to set up etc now.

Was originally going to buy the cheap Openbox and changed my mind and bought the LX2 at the last min. Think I would of been really disappointed with the Openbox with having to manually update stuff.

I've started to save for a VU solo 2, sounds like just the job for me.

rob1979
04-06-15, 16:59
As stated before, LX2 has a single core 750MHz CPU, it does take a little time populate EPG screen on large bouquets. Think you need to remember the LX2 is an entry level receiver at a budget affordable price. Its a genuine receiver with genuine support. If you want super quick spend more and buy a 1.3GHz cpu model. It performs exaclty the same as any other receiver with the same CPU, like the XP1000, Octagon SF8 to name a couple.

I completely understand that and I did want a budget model as my requirements are quite simple. What I can't understand is 1) Why my Technomate TM 600 is quicker in the menus, epg, etc as surely this is older tech than the LX2 and 2) Why some people state the LX2 is really quick whereas my box seems the opposite. Is it likely that something (a plugin possibly) is bogging it down or are people using other images which are running faster?

Andy_Hazza
04-06-15, 17:09
Yeah I understand it's a level entry receiver, I'm more than happy with it, think it's because I've got a good idea how to set up etc now.

Was originally going to buy the cheap Openbox and changed my mind and bought the LX2 at the last min. Think I would of been really disappointed with the Openbox with having to manually update stuff.

I've started to save for a VU solo 2, sounds like just the job for me.

You won't be disappointed with a Vu+ Solo2, an excellent receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk