PDA

View Full Version : MKV issues

tooooner
07-04-15, 18:06
Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me with my problems please. When I play MKV over the LAN it constantly freezes and requires me to pause then un-pause to get it working again. The connection is 1GBPS and I can stream with no problems to my Pi and other HTPC devices I have tried. The movies are high bitrate but it doesn't seem to be taxing the CPU or RAM too much. I'm wondering if it is a problem with the buffer emptying and if so is there a way to increase the buffer? I've used lots of different images and this problem has been consistent with all builds. I'm currently using very latest openvix.

The other issue I'm having is that the MKV files have subtitles embedded but they are not being listed when I try to play subtitles. Is it possible to make these work even through 3rd party software?

Information on files I'm trying to play although it seems to be a problem with any high bitrate MKV:
ViDEO CODEC: x264 [LVL4.1][DXVA]
FRAMERATE: 23.976 fps
BiTRATE: ~ 10500 - 17500 kbps

Thanks in advance
tooner

BubbleBalls
07-04-15, 18:38
I don't play many MKV contained files anymore but I do remember having to be pretty specific on what to use in how they were encoded. Certain files would not play properly, stutter etc, on both Vu Duo (needed cacheflush) and Gigablue Quad. Do you have a way of testing different coding of the same movie/source. As I said it's been awhile for me do my initial issues may have been sorted since.

Tapatalker

Trial
07-04-15, 19:51
Hi,
most of the times embedded subtitles are responsible for mkv problems. Try removing them. I already played mkv >50MBit without problems.

ciao

tooooner
07-04-15, 20:05
I do think it's related to the high bitrate or high res as lower bitrate and res seem to play fine. When it's not stalling it works 100% with no stuttering and audio is perfect too. I'm not really a video guru but I'll see if I can work out how to strip subs. Any other suggestions welcome :)
Thanks
tooner