PDA

View Full Version : Correct updating Procedure using VU+Solo 2 from Vix 142 to 165 via Mac/ FTP

John57
07-04-15, 09:57
Morning All

I now have now for the first time connected successfully my mac laptop to my VU+Solo 2 using the mac version of Filezilla that various forum members kindly recommended and would like to ask the forum for the following advice.

I am currently on Vix 142 and would like to update to the latest stable version of Vix 165? and understand that a re-flash is required when moving from 142 onwards which has been mentioned many times, doing this either via a correctly formatted USB stick or FTP (would like to try this option) using my mac/Filezilla connection direct to the VU+Solo2

Is the correct procedure as detailed below the correct method in which to proceed?

a) Download the image from www.openvix.co.uk and FTP it still compressed to /media/HDD/imagebackups/ I have a HD mounted within the VU+ then just drop the latest update file into this folder? (will it overwrite the existing version?)

b) Then press the blue button > ViX > image manager. Highlight the selected image that I intend to flash then press the blue button to flash / restore the chosen image.

I understand the above steps .......if correct that is but prior to doing this update or after performing this update do I need to safe guard any of my current settings or do I need to perform any type of backup, copy files, settings...so forth in order to continue without any technical issues, in other words am I missing any additional steps that I should be following?

Many thanks to all I am pleased that I am slowly moving forward and pleased that my laptop is now able to see the files on my VU Box.

Kind Regards
John

Peterj
07-04-15, 10:08
a) correct. It will not overwrite. The 165 zip has his own name.
b) Just to be shure, make in the image manager a backup image. This way you can always go back to the older image. After that you can choose the 165 image to restore.

You cannot chooses restore settings and plugins. It must be a fresh flash and you have to configure it manual.

John57
07-04-15, 11:10
Peterj

Thank you for your feedback.

Peterj, when you say "You cannot chooses restore settings and plugins" are you in fact referring to absolutely all settings, ie, tuner settings, sat settings, skin settings, resolutions settings can these not be copied from an existing folder or is it as you say a complete re-set up?

Regards
John

Peterj
07-04-15, 11:15
No settings etc restoring or copy back.
You must do a new set up.

John57
07-04-15, 11:20
Hi Peterj

Just what I was afraid off as I feel this might be a technical step to far for me but really trying to get my head around all the settings that need to be updated and re-configured.

Many thanks so far

Regards
John

jukkal
07-04-15, 11:30
No settings etc restoring or copy back.
You must do a new set up.

BUT you can copy timers.xml and autotimers.xml from /etc/enigma2 to your mac before flashing, and then copy them back after flashing, to keep the timer and autotimer information. And the *.tv files from the same directory to keep your favorite lists.
Just remember to do it while enigma2 is not running: log in to the box shell (via telnet or ssh) and give the command
init 4
before copying the files back, then
init 3
after you have copied them.

Peterj
07-04-15, 11:31
The most important is to remember your tuner setup.
Make screenshots / photo's the way it is now.
After to setup your tuners the same way, you can do full scans, or use AutoBouquetMaker (ABM) to get the channels back.

Sometimes for technical reasons a fresh flash is needed for a update.

John57
07-04-15, 11:43
Peterj

Very sensible advice, in fact it would make a great deal of sense to log down all of my own internal settings if not just for backup reasons and of course future updates.

Once again, many thanks.

Regards
John.