PDA

View Full Version : SD channel quality

champs4life
06-04-15, 23:43
I have noticed the quality of SD channels is pretty average and not clear, is this normal for others?

Is there no way to improve the quality?

How do I enable the SD up scaling feature?

Thanks.

judge
06-04-15, 23:53
Image, build, settings, TV used???
Can't fault any of the TM E2 boxes for PQ on any I've tried.

champs4life
07-04-15, 00:47
I'm disappointed I got told the picture quality was great on this box, especially SD channels.

I thought the SD up scaling feature would improve the quality.

I don't even know if the up scaling feature is enabled.

judge
07-04-15, 00:52
I'm disappointed I got told the picture quality was great on this box, especially SD channels.

I thought the SD up scaling feature would improve the quality.

I don't even know if the up scaling feature is enabled.
Neither do I (or anyone else).
You haven't answered a single question asked in your reply.

champs4life
07-04-15, 01:09
Neither do I (or anyone else).
You haven't answered a single question asked in your reply.

What do you mean?

judge
07-04-15, 01:16
What do you mean?
Anyone reading this thread still have no idea what image, what build, what settings, what TV you are using.

champs4life
07-04-15, 01:21
Anyone reading this thread still have no idea what image, what build, what settings, what TV you are using.

I'm using VIX image, build 161, I got samsung HD TV.

But that doesn't explain why the quality of SD channels isn't better than what it is.

judge
07-04-15, 01:27
But that doesn't explain why the quality of SD channels isn't better than what it is.
???
SD = SD, what issues are you seeing?

twol
07-04-15, 07:27
Compared to what? HD? Another sat receiver? Another TV ?

duoduo
07-04-15, 07:40
I have to say that although sd is massively different to HD, the sd picture on my solo2 is definitely better than that on my sky receiver and actually always has been!!

champs4life
07-04-15, 11:03
???
SD = SD, what issues are you seeing?

The issue is quality, I have seen the quality on another sat receiver and tv and it doesnt seem as good.

I really thought it would be with the so called SD upscaling technology, which I dont even know is working or not.

twol
07-04-15, 12:15
The issue is quality, I have seen the quality on another sat receiver and tv and it doesnt seem as good.

I really thought it would be with the so called SD upscaling technology, which I dont even know is working or not.
Be specific "quality on another sat receiver and tv " ...... hate to say it - but it could just be your TV and its set up ... most TV,s as delivered are configured for the bright lights of a TV showroom (even if they never get close to one nowadays). and picture quality is just a very personal thing due to our eyes (many guys are red green colour blind).

With regards to "SD upscaling technology" .... you just cannot make SD look like HD by turning a few technology knobs .... in fact if a TV has the capability to be set up correctly (and most are not) then usually you turn off all the technology gizmo's.

champs4life
07-04-15, 12:32
On a Sony TV it look much better and less grainy than on mine.

In terms of SD upscaling technology, why do technomate say it comes built in? To me it seems like a gimmick.

Manny92
07-04-15, 18:07
Interesting thread i'll have to agree with champs,

compare my TM-3T SD channel to my Kryptview A780,

the A780 SD wins by far aslong as the HD channels don't go off like Sly have done i'll be happy right now.

Larry-G
07-04-15, 18:11
I have to say that although sd is massively different to HD, the sd picture on my solo2 is definitely better than that on my sky receiver and actually always has been!!

The SD quality on every one of my E2 boxes blows away the SD quality on the so called SKY HD box I have and always has, the same is also true for HD content too.

john doe
07-04-15, 18:38
i have to say my solo2 did have a great picture on SD channels until recently. my Zero SD channels are fantastic picture, which is odd

Larry-G
07-04-15, 18:42
If your PQ has suddenly changed for the better or worse it's likely the hardware drivers as provided by the manufacturer as they are pretty much the only thing that can affect PQ so drastically.

nsw9154
07-04-15, 18:42
The picture quality on all of my receivers is Superb on SD and almost as good as HD, and the only time I have any quality problems is because the programs are older recordings or the transmission is not so good
how have you got your receiver set up, do you have it set to Automatic resolution some people set it to 1080p and 60Hz or Multi
but I find that you get better results having it set to 50Hz and 1080i so try changing your settings as that might be all that is wrong

champs4life
07-04-15, 18:49
The SD quality on every one of my E2 boxes blows away the SD quality on the so called SKY HD box I have and always has, the same is also true for HD content too.

I have to disagree with you, the SD quality well on this E2 box doesnt seem to be as good or better than the sky box.

I am really disappointed and annoyed that the quality isnt better on this box for SD channels.

champs4life
07-04-15, 18:52
If your PQ has suddenly changed for the better or worse it's likely the hardware drivers as provided by the manufacturer as they are pretty much the only thing that can affect PQ so drastically.

So what am I meant to do then?

As far as I know there is no update from the manufacturer.

Plus it seems people with the same box seem to say the quality of SD channels is good and not average like mine.

champs4life
07-04-15, 18:55
The picture quality on all of my receivers is Superb on SD and almost as good as HD, and the only time I have any quality problems is because the programs are older recordings or the transmission is not so good
how have you got your receiver set up, do you have it set to Automatic resolution some people set it to 1080p and 60Hz or Multi
but I find that you get better results having it set to 50Hz and 1080i so try changing your settings as that might be all that is wrong

My settings are 1080p 60hz.

What is multi mean for refresh rate?

I got told always to change to 1080p resolution as the HD programmes are transmitted through 1080i.

I dont know what settings to do now plus I thought if you TV is capable of the highest possible refresh rate you change to that.

john doe
07-04-15, 18:59

acctually you could be right, as recently i change these setting. will play around with it now and see

nsw9154
07-04-15, 19:19
60Hz is the USA NTSC tv frequency and 50Hz is UK standard PAL so in the UK your tv should be set to 50Hz PAL but some people use multi because they think that it will make USA recorded programs look better

Larry-G
07-04-15, 19:25
So what am I meant to do then?

As far as I know there is no update from the manufacturer.

Plus it seems people with the same box seem to say the quality of SD channels is good and not average like mine.

Get your eyes tested ?.

john doe
07-04-15, 19:26

i change back my settings and there is a slight difference. i was experimenting last couple of weeks. not do that again

nsw9154
07-04-15, 19:39
some times the only way to find out if it is better is to do like you did and try it, and you can always change back if it dose not work :)

champs4life
07-04-15, 19:50
60Hz is the USA NTSC tv frequency and 50Hz is UK standard PAL so in the UK your tv should be set to 50Hz PAL but some people use multi because they think that it will make USA recorded programs look better

Oh ok I didnt realise that.

I just thought as it was 60hz it would be best to pick that.

champs4life
07-04-15, 19:50
Get your eyes tested ?.

Thats funny you have jokes, you dont need to be rude.

I was asking a serious question.

Sicilian
07-04-15, 19:57
SD is always average on ANY receiver. Some channels are better than others, but dont expect HD quality out of SD with ANY receiver.

champs4life
07-04-15, 20:04
SD is always average on ANY receiver. Some channels are better than others, but dont expect HD quality out of SD with ANY receiver.

I understand that, but I expected SD quality on channels to be decent especially as this box supposedly has SD up scaling technology.

champs4life
07-04-15, 20:06
I have changed settings to 1080i and 50hz but have not noticed any improvement.

Oh well if the quality is going to stay average so be it, I cant do anything about it but I am really disappointed in the hype that this both and other E2 boxes have superior SD quality than sky boxes.

twol
07-04-15, 20:09
I understand that, but I expected SD quality on channels to be decent especially as this box supposedly has SD up scaling technology.

There is an old computer saying ..... Garbage in, garbage out.

Sicilian
07-04-15, 20:10
No receiver on earth is going to upscale crap to SD to HD. Impossible.

champs4life
07-04-15, 20:13
Then the manufacturer shouldnt advertise such a feature of this box, when it doesnt even upscale SD channels?

Sicilian
07-04-15, 20:21
Then the manufacturer shouldnt advertise such a feature of this box, when it doesnt even upscale SD channels?

It DOES upscale, like many others do! but its never going to turn SD into HD!

Andy_Hazza
07-04-15, 20:28

Have you tried setting Automatic Resolution to ALL RESOLUTIONS in A/V settings?

twol
07-04-15, 21:03

I am sure it does some improvement but SD will never be HD..... You never get something for nothing in this world, unfortunately people believe the marketing crap, without fully understanding the restrictions

champs4life
07-04-15, 21:06
It DOES upscale, like many others do! but its never going to turn SD into HD!

So it automatically upscales?

champs4life
07-04-15, 21:07
Have you tried setting Automatic Resolution to ALL RESOLUTIONS in A/V settings?

What would the purpose be of that though?

mann
07-04-15, 21:32

It means it will do it for you automatically no matter the broadcast resolution..The resolution is what makes SD and HD..HD being a higher res than SD
It will make all broadcast res up-scale automatically..

I have to say also using vu+solo2 and a decent LG telly SD does look like skys HD nearly..its good quality no matter.

Manny92
07-04-15, 21:35
Maybe its your tv itself??? I can't complain at my Philips 42" LCD 720p HD Ready, my old man bought it in 2006, I will buy a new 4K TV very soon and i'll mess about with the settings on the box in the mean time I'm happy that I bought this box money well spent and alot of research went into it!

Andy_Hazza
07-04-15, 22:07

By setting this feature SD channels are upscaled to 570i.

Manny92
07-04-15, 22:46
By setting this feature SD channels are upscaled to 570i.

You the man Andy just changed to 570i settings my SD Channels are alot clear now compared to my Kryptview A780 cheers mate :thumbsup:

champs4life
07-04-15, 23:05
Maybe its your tv itself??? I can't complain at my Philips 42" LCD 720p HD Ready, my old man bought it in 2006, I will buy a new 4K TV very soon and i'll mess about with the settings on the box in the mean time I'm happy that I bought this box money well spent and alot of research went into it!

My TV is a good LED HD TV, so I doubt it's that.

Maybe I'm going blind that's why I can't tell any difference ibnwislity with this compared to sky box quality who knows.

champs4life
08-04-15, 01:37
I have tried the all resolution setting but I thought it automatically changed SD channels to 576 and HD channels to 1080. But every time I'm on a SD channel it changes to 1080. Why is this as I thought it would change resolution to 576?

Andy_Hazza
08-04-15, 06:06
It does change the SD to 576 NOT 1080. HD channels use 1080, SD when All Resolutions is set will be upscaled to 576!!

champs4life
08-04-15, 13:04
No what I mean is when changing to SD channels it says 576 on the info bar but the TV flashes and changes to 1080 which doesn't make sense.

Pickle
01-06-15, 20:20
Your tuners receiving a 576 signal, that's why it says 576. Its upscaling it to 1080 and sending it to your TV, that's why that says 1080

You could try changing the resolution on your tuner to 576. It could be that your tuner is doing a poor job at upscaling and the image sent to your TV is suffering

If you change the resolution on the tuner to 576 it should send the untouched 576 signal to your TV, without upscaling it, possibly resulting in a clearer picture

I'd also try setting my TV to 576

imish
02-06-15, 00:20
SD channels certainly look better on a plasma than led..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
05-06-15, 11:28
SD channels certainly look better on a plasma than led..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately Plasma is dead, and to get as good or better picture you need a LG 4K OLED.... Not cheap :)

john doe
05-06-15, 16:23
Unfortunately Plasma is dead, and to get as good or better picture you need a LG 4K OLED.... Not cheap :)

I have a 55 inch LG 4K tv and SD channels are good, set as 1080i instead on p

twol
05-06-15, 23:27
I have a 55 inch LG 4K tv and SD channels are good, set as 1080i instead on p

Lucky you :eek: