PDA

View Full Version : Mutant hd 2400

cueman
06-04-15, 16:50
Hi all, am itching to buy one of these quad tuner boxes, currently have vu+duo & Zgemma H1 Cable/sat. I love my vu it really is a great box, the Zgemma is ok but a bit slow at channel changing. Looking to get the best of both worlds by buying the Mutant. Have read quite a lot of posts and can see on the whole people love them. Can I get an honest opinion (good or bad) from the experts. Having just the one box would free up some plugs and my sony tv only has 2 HDMI. But back to main point.......... how good is this box??? Any help really appreciated, thanks.

Cosmic Truth
06-04-15, 17:22
Hi all, am itching to buy one of these quad tuner boxes, currently have vu+duo & Zgemma H1 Cable/sat. I love my vu it really is a great box, the Zgemma is ok but a bit slow at channel changing. Looking to get the best of both worlds by buying the Mutant. Have read quite a lot of posts and can see on the whole people love them. Can I get an honest opinion (good or bad) from the experts. Having just the one box would free up some plugs and my sony tv only has 2 HDMI. But back to main point.......... how good is this box??? Any help really appreciated, thanks.

I'm thinking of getting a Mut@nt HD receiver this week mate, but I can't tell you anything about them at the moment.

As for your TV only having two HDMI sockets, I bought a NEET HDMI switching box, and it's been great. It comes with a small remote control, meaning all you have to do is use that to control what receiver etc you want to view.

They have five HDM switching boxes, and three HDMI switching boxes, and the remote hasn't failed once so far.

Neet® - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SWITCH-REMOTE-output-Switcher/dp/B001PL5QDY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428336819&sr=1-1&keywords=neet+3+port+hdmi+switch

Neet® - 5 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SWITCH-REMOTE-output-Switcher/dp/B001DAVA64

cueman
06-04-15, 17:29
Thanks Cosmic. I have a 3 port HDMI switch at back of tv (remote don`t work too good) as like is said behind my tv, it`s all a bit of a mess :confused: , also got HTPC HD & CCTV HD. Which is another reason I want to scale down too 1 box, links appreciated mate :) so many cables, wife thinks I`m nuts :eek: Also have more remotes than currys:)

Bazzer
06-04-15, 17:56
Hi Cueman
I have the Mutant and believe me I ain't no expert , I have always gone for the cheaper end of boxes and for the first time since I have had the Mutant I am 100% happy . I replaced my Vu Solo with the Mutant and it is like driving a Rolls Royce instead of the Mini . I ordered it from W.O.S with the latest image and 500Gb hard drive and the support on here is fantastic . Has for the remotes I went and bought the Logitech Harmony 650 I think Curry's have them on offer at the moment now I only have one remote which the wife can't use yet which solves all my problems :D.

Larry-G
06-04-15, 18:00
Hi Cueman
I have the Mutant and believe me I ain't no expert , I have always gone for the cheaper end of boxes and for the first time since I have had the Mutant I am 100% happy . I replaced my Vu Solo with the Mutant and it is like driving a Rolls Royce instead of the Mini . I ordered it from W.O.S with the latest image and 500Gb hard drive and the support on here is fantastic . Has for the remotes I went and bought the Logitech Harmony 650 I think Curry's have them on offer at the moment now I only have one remote which the wife can't use yet which solves all my problems :D.

Could not agree more with the harmony, It is easily one of the top three best purchases I have made in the past 5 years. I very rarely use any other remote, I even got one for my dad too and he loves it (At least he has not thrown this one off the wall yet, unlike all his others).

Cosmic Truth
06-04-15, 18:01
Thanks Cosmic. I have a 3 port HDMI switch at back of tv (remote don`t work too good) as like is said behind my tv, it`s all a bit of a mess :confused: , also got HTPC HD & CCTV HD. Which is another reason I want to scale down too 1 box, links appreciated mate :) so many cables, wife thinks I`m nuts :eek: Also have more remotes than currys:)

Women! Can't live with them. Can't chop them up and bury them under the floorboards. :(

twol
06-04-15, 19:59
As we are so far off topic (Mutant) I thought I would add that if you have an Ipad/Iphone then all you need is Roomie app.... Makes logitech look like Stone Age technology....... Although just bought a black blob (sorry logitech harmony hub) for a friend in South Africa .... Where they have never heard of universal remotes such as harmony :)

richf176
06-04-15, 20:09
Got my mutant last week and it's a great box I'm only on sat tuners and have had no problems with it so far. Looks better than some were saying in the flesh

nsw9154
06-04-15, 21:24
I have 4 receivers a Duo2 - LX3 - Gigablue Quad + and the Mut@nt and I have to say in all Honestly that my Favorite has to be the Mut@nt, I even like the remote although it dose have it's little quirks, like the record button being directly underneath the power button and the colored buttons being at the bottom, but I soon got used to it after I had switched it off about 3 times trying to record a program and pressing the power button by mistake :eek: I tend to have more problems using the remote for the Quad+ with it being a universal remote, if you press the TV Button to get the channel listings it stops working because that is for your TV you have to press the special GIGA Button to get it to work again and press the FAV Button to get the listings and they are very small buttons so you really have to be precise when you press them and not ideal if you use it a lot like me :mad: I might program my Harmony 650 for the Quad + because I never use it otherwise
The Mut@nt is fast it seems much more responsive than the Duo2 and I never thought that I would be saying that 6 month ago and another thing in the Mut@nt's favor is having 4 separate plug-able tuners, that way you can set it up as you want to, I love my Mut@nt and it is the best receiver that I have ever owned :D

cueman
06-04-15, 23:20
Thanks very much for all the replys, I think I have made my mind up & I`m definitely buying the mutant:thumbsup: next couple of days. Wife still thinks I`m nuts though:p oh well. It seems as I thought this box is a step up from my beloved VU+ which I will be sorry to see go, have enjoyed using it, still a great box. Anyway looking forward to getting and setting up the mutant no doubt I`ll be back for advice :thumbsup: Thanks again, appreciated.

hammertime
10-04-15, 19:30
I went from a Vu+ Duo to a Mut@nt and I really wish I could confirm what the others have said but I wish I still had the Vu+. Having lots of bother with the Mut@nt but I accept this may or may not be down to user error considering I've went from Blackhole to Vix and Sat to Cable. For me, the Vu+ was quicker changing channels etc.

Sicilian
10-04-15, 19:56
Can u stick to one thread for your issue, judging from what you've posted you haven't even connected the feeds correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammertime
10-04-15, 20:05
Can u stick to one thread for your issue, judging from what you've posted you haven't even connected the feeds correctly.

No the feeds are fitted fine mate. Even then surely this wouldn't slow down zapping?

Sicilian
10-04-15, 20:06
U posted a photo clearly showing you've connected feeds to outputs, not inputs! You are supposed to be using the TOP inputs.

cueman
11-04-15, 08:31
Well i finally ordered the Mutant from (wos) and it arrived next day, and I must say it was packaged really well, the box feels quality made and set up was easy. I went for the 2 x cable & 2 x sat option. I have set it all up looped cable and shotgun sat, and I`m well impressed, Got vix preinstalled (that's what I was using on my VU) and as vix is obviously set out the same on mutant, it`s like my VU has been turbo boosted, Everything is much more responsive, channel changing is definitely faster on sat, little bit slower on cable, No more recording clashes for me. I was more than disappointed though that after spending £400 you don`t even get a mini usb cable for charging the remote, crazy!!! As other people have said the remote functions well and is responsive.... but yes the buttons are set out a bit weird. I also don`t like the clicking sound the remote makes, it gets annoying!.
Much prefer my soft silent vu remote. So think I`ll look at the harmony 650, never had one... are the buttons soft touch or clicky?? be gratefull if someone could let me know. Overall love the Mutant already. It`s a :thumbsup: from me.

rossi2000
11-04-15, 09:38
the harmony is soft touch, i use a 650

Sicilian
11-04-15, 10:15
I only use my harmony to turn on all my devices, use the HD2400 remote for everything else, so used to using it.

Larry-G
11-04-15, 11:54
Personally I use my harmony for every thing, no point having such a powerful remote if your still going to use the standard one too. There are only two devices I use that are not on the harmony and thats my HDMI switch and my AFTV box.

cueman
11-04-15, 12:42
the harmony is soft touch, i use a 650

Thanks for that , appreciated.

joysleep1
11-04-15, 16:58
If you want to use the vu remote then just set the mut@nt to vu in the input device settings so you then can use the vu remote to control the mut@nt

Andy_Hazza
11-04-15, 19:29
If you want to use the vu remote then just set the mut@nt to vu in the input device settings so you then can use the vu remote to control the mut@nt

.............. Serious??

Andy_Hazza
11-04-15, 19:41
Doesn't work unfortunately. How exactly did you do it?

cueman
12-04-15, 09:27

Me to, can only see Dreambox remote usage in input devices. Would love to be able to use VU remote but don`t think they will work!!

ukbob
12-04-15, 09:54
Thank you to Joysleep1

just set it.... it does work chaps.

Menu>setup>system>input devices

While 'configure remote control type' is highlighted click ok, then toggle with left/right key to choose your remote.

Theres loads to choose from,i set it to VU+..... and the vu remote does work

Don't forget to save your new settings.

I'm now having to 're-learn' the buttons on vu remote hehe

Andy_Hazza
12-04-15, 12:34
Nope doesn't work!

ukbob
12-04-15, 12:43
For you maybe... mine works ok

I'm using the vu+ duo remote...

richf176
12-04-15, 12:52
I tried but when I got to press ok to change it wouldn't work. Pressing ok did nothing timed out and went back to previous stage. I. Just going to get used to mutant remote

ukbob
12-04-15, 13:12
I've set my remote from from vu duo to mutant and back at least six times.
Rebooted box and pressed every button to check working ok... all works ok on both remotes.
I'll make this my last post on the subject as its not helping those who can't set remote to vu+

Fresh Vix flash with only the epg refresh plugin installed.

Andy_Hazza
12-04-15, 13:18
When selecting the Vu+ option n won't let me select yes. I have tried my Vu+ Duo2 remote and my Vu+ Solo2 remote, nothing happens.

Larry-G
12-04-15, 13:19
Nope doesn't work!

Andy have you tried setting the Vu+ remote to use the Vu+ Duo code to see if it picks it up then ?.

When selecting the Vu+ option n won't let me select yes. I have tried my Vu+ Duo2 remote and my Vu+ Solo2 remote, nothing happens.

Change the code on the remote to the Duo not the Duo2 / solo2.

Andy_Hazza
12-04-15, 13:21
Andy have you tried setting the Vu+ remote to use the Vu+ Duo code to see if it picks it up then ?.

How do I do that buddy. Would I use the Vu+ remote on my Solo2 to change the code?

ukbob
12-04-15, 13:23

I'm using the vu duo remote, i haven't got a Duo2 remote to try... sorry..

Larry-G
12-04-15, 13:24
How do I do that buddy. Would I use the Vu+ remote on my Solo2 to change the code?

Quite easily.

On the RCU it self.

press and hold 2 and 7 for three seconds until the led turns red
press help
press 0001

That will set the remote to the Duo / Solo's code to get it back onto the Duo2 / solo2's code repeat and use the 0002 code instead of 0001

Andy_Hazza
12-04-15, 13:25
I'm using the vu duo remote, i haven't got a Duo2 remote to try... sorry..

Can you just check a setting for me please? Can you go to menu, setup, system, remote control code and can you tell me what number you are on?

Larry-G
12-04-15, 13:28
Can you just check a setting for me please? Can you go to menu, setup, system, remote control code and can you tell me what number you are on?

If memory serves the Solo2 and Duo2 should be on Mode 2 by default, the Duo and Solo use Mode 1.

In total there are 4 different codes.

Mode 1 = 0001 Duo / Solo
Mode 2 = 0002 Uno / Ultimo / Solo2 / Duo2
Mode 3 = 0003
Mode 4 = 0004

Not sure what the Zero and SoloSE use as I have never used those.

Andy_Hazza
12-04-15, 13:30
Quite easily.

On the RCU it self.

press and hold 2 and 7 for three seconds until the led turns red
press help
press 0001

That will set the remote to the Duo / Solo's code to get it back onto the Duo2 / solo2's code repeat and use the 0002 code instead of 0001

No buddy, still doesn't work. Ah well it was a nice thought. lol. Thanks for that though buddy. [emoji106]🏼

Larry-G
12-04-15, 13:31

Just remember Andy if you change the RCU code on the receiver it self you must also do the same on the RCU it self, and if you do a fresh flash you must make sure the RCU is on the correct code otherwise you will be sat there scratching your backside wondering why the hell it wont work even though the L.E.D is lighting up when you press buttons LOL.

ukbob
12-04-15, 13:38

cant see a remote control code in system?
is it somewhere else?

Ahhhh just seen pheonixs post..

Larry-G
12-04-15, 13:41
cant see a remote control code in system?
is it somewhere else?

Ahhhh just seen pheonixs post..

Menu> setup> system then go rite to the bottom of the screen and you should see the part that deals with the remote. you can change the code on the box from here, but you would still have to change the code on the remote too.

Larry-G
12-04-15, 13:48
No buddy, still doesn't work. Ah well it was a nice thought. lol. Thanks for that though buddy. [emoji106]

Have you tried all of the codes just to make sure it's not one of them ?.

Andy_Hazza
12-04-15, 13:54
Have you tried all of the codes just to make sure it's not one of them ?.

Yeah tried em all mate but no joy. [emoji20]

Larry-G
12-04-15, 14:07
Ah well no worries.

nsw9154
12-04-15, 15:02
When I changed my Duo2 remote because of the sticking metal buttons to the Solo2's remote, every time that I did a re-flash I had to put the battery's back in my Duo2 remote so that I could set up the Duo2 because the code is different :mad: very annoying, then I remembered that I had the Duo2 programed in to my Harmony 650, so now when I re-flash the Duo2 I use the Harmony for the initial set up and them change the code so that I can use the Solo2 remote :D

Larry-G
12-04-15, 16:23
When I changed my Duo2 remote because of the sticking metal buttons to the Solo2's remote, every time that I did a re-flash I had to put the battery's back in my Duo2 remote so that I could set up the Duo2 because the code is different :mad: very annoying, then I remembered that I had the Duo2 programed in to my Harmony 650, so now when I re-flash the Duo2 I use the Harmony for the initial set up and them change the code so that I can use the Solo2 remote :D

It would be easier to just change the code on the solo2 remote although I had assumed the solo2 and duo2 used the same code.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Peterj
12-04-15, 16:49

I reflashes 80% of the time using webif. Also using webif it's easy to change RC code.

joysleep1
12-04-15, 18:49
Yh it's strange because when I had the mut@nt briefly it worked perfectly when i changed it to vu remote. Now I have the xtrend et10000. For some reason it didn't work.. I couldn't get my solo2 remote to work with the xtrend et10000. The odd thing is that my brothers vu duo remote worked.
In the end I just got used to the xtrend et10000 remote. It's universal too.
It is strange tho.