PDA

View Full Version : How to fine tune/calibrate foreign satellites

dave798
05-04-15, 20:37
Hi all sorry if this sounds dumb but with the recent severe winds my motorised dish has somehow lost a little alignment on the latest vix image (163) i can tune to the foreign satellites but the signal is no longer as strong as it used to be however there is an option to fine tune/calibrate the satellite that is currently tuned can somebody tell me if it is possible or how I can do this without having to call out a satellite engineer or if there is a how to guide can somebody point me in the right direction.
many thanks for any and all help received

jassie
06-04-15, 00:29
If winds have indeed knocked your dish out of allignemnet there is nothing you can do to fully set it back to the arc from the receiver itself, you can adjust it on each individual satellite moving it east or west in the menu, but this is not going to corect it back to the arc, you will have to get the spanner out or call out an engineer

The Lambton Worm
06-04-15, 10:31
Change your longitude setting for usals by 0.5° east/west then check the signal. It might take a few go's but you'll be able to optimise the tuning. Once done all your sats should be fine.

dave798
06-04-15, 10:51
thanks to Lambton Worms suggestion I have indeed changed the longitude/latitude setting and now I am back to a good picture on my foreign satellites

goosegog
06-04-15, 11:52
i think my dish has taken a slight battering with the wind lately and i was all set to get up my ladder an tweek it a little but after daves question and the lampton worm suggestion i altered my longitude from 1.6 to 1 and bingo my SNR has vastly improved on all sats,thank you fellas:thumbsup:

Larry-G
06-04-15, 11:59
i think my dish has taken a slight battering with the wind lately and i was all set to get up my ladder an tweek it a little but after daves question and the lampton worm suggestion i altered my longitude from 1.6 to 1 and bingo my SNR has vastly improved on all sats,thank you fellas:thumbsup:

Remember that solution should only be considered as a stopgap because of the wind has physically moved the dish it will no longer have a proper alignment on the arc as it rotates. I would still consider getting up the ladder to properly realign the dish.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

goosegog
06-04-15, 12:14
Remember that solution should only be considered as a stopgap because of the wind has physically moved the dish it will no longer have a proper alignment on the arc as it rotates. I would still consider getting up the ladder to properly realign the dish.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

very true there and i will get the spanners and ladder out soon,very good weather right now to do the job but i aint great up a ladder and to now know i can slightly alter settings whilst sitting on my arse is nice to know:D

Larry-G
06-04-15, 12:34
very true there and i will get the spanners and ladder out soon,very good weather right now to do the job but i aint great up a ladder and to now know i can slightly alter settings whilst sitting on my arse is nice to know:D

Not overly clever with heights or ladders my self but i would still rather do the job properly to avoid further damage because if the wind has shifted it once and it's still loose, next time it could rip the dish rite off the wall or worse