PDA

View Full Version : **Member's Satellite Dish Gallery**

Likvid
09-12-10, 11:43
I thought we could have a sticky thread for showing our sat dishes in here.

I start with pictures of my setup.

Likvid
11-12-10, 19:55
Doesn't seems to be much of interest in showing your pimps.

Come on!

pooface
12-04-11, 16:32
Since punisher wanted to see how big the 85cm gibertini looked, and I remembered there was this thread, I thought I would post these up...

Punisher ... look at the sky dish on next doors house for a reference compared to a sky dish :p

punisher
12-04-11, 17:14
thanks for that mate, just what i needed ... the 1m is gona be HUGE lol it would take up your whole window lol im gonna have to rethink lol where are you based again and are you able to pull in all the sats without ne problems

Larry-G
12-04-11, 17:47
i'll take a few snaps of mine in the morrow when i get in. and post it up. mine's a 85 cm dish ( did have a 1 meter previously but the 85 cm does pretty much every thing i need ). with that i can pretty much get every thing i need but i do have a few problems with 16 east 4.8 east and 0.8 west but i can live with those as i dont use them much. p's my location is just out side durham city.

sonnetpete
12-04-11, 18:38
Just a couple of snaps of my set up. The dish is on a south facing wall but I have trees which stop my westerly arc just before Hispasat. You can just make out the VU+ on the right under the tv in the second shot. Being a Solo it doesn't have that nice blue display.

Sicilian
12-04-11, 18:40
Just a couple of snaps of my set up. The dish is on a south facing wall but I have trees which stop my westerly arc just before Hispasat. You can just make out the VU+ on the right under the tv in the second shot. Being a Solo it doesn't have that nice blue display.

What dish do you have there?

sonnetpete
12-04-11, 18:49
It's a Laminas 1.2M. Polish made in fibreglass, but bought from a French online dealer.

portbhoy
12-04-11, 21:15
73897390Ok my setup the furthest away one is a 1.1 triax clone on an sg2100 that I've had for years the one nearest is an 80cm on an sg9120 which is metal geared but very slowwwwwwwwwwww. The one nearest is connected to a spiderbox in my bedroom the one closest is connected to my new beloved Duo. The second picture is a work in progress and it is going to be connected to the "B" tuner on my Duo, it currently points at 4.8e, 13e, 19e and 28.2 east but I may get some Alps lnb's and shoot for different sats.

portbhoy
12-04-11, 21:17
Ok my setup the furthest away one is a 1.1 triax clone on an sg2100 that I've had for years the one nearest is an 80cm on an sg9120 which is metal geared but very slowwwwwwwwwwww. The one nearest is connected to a spiderbox in my bedroom the one closest is connected to my new beloved Duo. The second picture is a work in progress and it is going to be connected to the "B" tuner on my Duo, it currently points at 4.8e, 13e, 19e and 28.2 east but I may get some Alps lnb's and shoot for different sats.

banie01
12-04-11, 21:55
Here's my dish and LNB setup. Its A Triax TD88 with a 6lnb setup that I'm quite chuffed with ;)
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=151486&d=1300039701
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=151487&d=1300039729
And heres the TV it feeds ;)
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7392&d=1302641953

pooface
12-04-11, 22:12
thanks for that mate, just what i needed ... the 1m is gona be HUGE lol it would take up your whole window lol im gonna have to rethink lol where are you based again and are you able to pull in all the sats without ne problems

I don't have a prob with most sats... Live not too far from you, Leics. I pick up 16e, 1w and 5e mostly ok, altho not fully checked for a while... If there's a channel you want, let me know, and I'll give it a try to see what signal I get :)

punisher
12-04-11, 22:40
I don't have a prob with most sats... Live not too far from you, Leics. I pick up 16e, 1w and 5e mostly ok, altho not fully checked for a while... If there's a channel you want, let me know, and I'll give it a try to see what signal I get :)

was lookin 5e, 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 20e, 23.5e, 26e, 28.2e 30.5e for the moment lol will check up on the rest and let you know :p

judge
12-04-11, 22:45
Hi banie01, did I spot those pics on boards.ie too?
still new to this game so don't fully understand. With all those LNBs, do you need a motorised dish to get the 6 sats?

punisher
12-04-11, 22:49
no need for a motorised dish judge, all sats are pointing where they need to so im guessing he has a diseque switch of some sort which feeds to the box, so its instant switching between sats instead of waiting for a motor to move

Larry-G
12-04-11, 22:50
still new to this game so don't fully understand. With all those LNBs, do you need a motorised dish to get the 6 sats?

no. the lnb's replace the need for a motor. you do need a DiSEqC switch however to switch between each lnb but no motor is required as the dish is fixed.

was lookin 5e, 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 20e, 23.5e, 26e, 28.2e 30.5e for the moment lol will check up on the rest and let you know :p

dont want much do ya ?

banie01
12-04-11, 22:56

Yep Judge, Boards.ie is one of my usual haunts and in fairness the bulk of the knowledge I used to get that set up running came from 2 users there.
The point of the LNBS is to avoid a motorised system altogether, using Diseqc switching gives almost instant switching between Satellites rather than waiting for the dish to move ;)

My main sats are 28.2e 19.2e and 13e, I added the rest of the LNBs to see how far I could push the dish and using this type of setup allows me full PVR across all the sat's available with multisat watch record, which just can't be done on motorised.

punisher
12-04-11, 22:57
haha i got the answer about a few of them, but didnt want him to check all as he answered them :p just the far fetched ones that an 85cm dish might not get. im sure pooface knows what he isnt able to get but ive got no other way of knowing whether im gonna need a 1m dish or an 85cm dish ... if i can stay small then great if not then great lol

judge
12-04-11, 23:05
Yep Judge, Boards.ie is one of my usual haunts and in fairness the bulk of the knowledge I used to get that set up running came from 2 users there.
The point of the LNBS is to avoid a motorised system altogether, using Diseqc switching gives almost instant switching between Satellites rather than waiting for the dish to move ;)

My main sats are 28.2e 19.2e and 13e, I added the rest of the LNBs to see how far I could push the dish and using this type of setup allows me full PVR across all the sat's available with multisat watch record, which just can't be done on motorised.

Thanks, would love to do similar setup.
Does the site sponsor have kit that can do this? or what should I google search for, would be purchasing in the SE of Ireland.
What should the typical cost be?

banie01
12-04-11, 23:20
Thanks, would love to do similar setup.
Does the site sponsor have kit that can do this? or what should I google search for, would be purchasing in the SE of Ireland.
What should the typical cost be?

Sponsor should have everything you need. If you are going to do a similar set up I would recommend at least a 1mtr dish though!
Its the only aspect of my setup I'd change as on 16e, I get wiped out by poor weather even at prime focus.....although on the other sats bad weather is not an issue.
I have my dish set up as follows
Single LNBs at 9'e, 16'e using a superslim Inverto Multiconnect to fit between an Inverto Twin @13'e and an ALPS single @19.2'e, along with Inverto twins at 13'e and 23.5'e and a quad LNB at 28.2'e.
These feeds are going into 2 4way diseqc switches Tuner A= 13'e; 19'2'e; 23.5'e and 28.2'e and Tuner B= 9'e, 13'e, 16'e and 28.2'e.

Costwise motorised is probably a cheaper option, just not a flexible especially if you have a multisat/multiroom setup.
My setup including 2 4way Switches, 6 LNBs, TD88 Dish/Bracket and Cabling came in at @€300 but I bought in stages ;) My initial set up was a minidish for sky and just 13e and 19.2e on the TD88........
Then I got adventurous and decided to see how much I could fit on one dish :P

judge
13-04-11, 00:53
thanks for the detailed answer. Why all the different LNB types, what you had lying around or required?
I have a spare quad LNB here, is it possible to mod a standard SLY dish & add a second LNB before I jump into replacing the dish?

also, what countries do you pick TV up from these sat positions?
thanks. J.

banie01
13-04-11, 01:26
thanks for the detailed answer. Why all the different LNB types, what you had lying around or required?
I have a spare quad LNB here, is it possible to mod a standard SLY dish & add a second LNB before I jump into replacing the dish?

also, what countries do you pick TV up from these sat positions?
thanks. J.

The different LNB types are to ensure correct orbital spacings, if you are trying to receive Sats with a 3 degree seperation you need to use ALPS slim LNBs or Inverto Multiconnect LNBs.
Its a matter of figuring out what you want and planning the LNB spacings to get it. i.e; Why I have slimline Multiconnect @ 16e and an ALPS at 19e as these allow the correct spacings.
Its a matter of researching what you want to get and figuring out the system and LNB layout that will give you the result you want,
With regards to Sky Dish modding, I have no experience of it myself.
I have seen some done but from the little I know the dish shape and small size makes anything more than 5degree spread very awkward.....But I'll bow to experience if someone knows better ;)
As for what Countries that spread will give you TV from.
Look up the sats you're interested in on Lyngsat or Kingofsat mate!
Not being cheeky but its genuinely too many to list. Basically the majority of Europe is covered

judge
13-04-11, 02:05
banie01 thanks for all the help on this.
Sponsor, can you price up similar kit for me?
Mods, know we have gone off topic here, so feel free move to a different thread.
also, is it possible to pick up US TV in Ire/Eng? what would be needed?

Larry-G
13-04-11, 04:05
banie01 thanks for all the help on this.
Sponsor, can you price up similar kit for me?
Mods, know we have gone off topic here, so feel free move to a different thread.
also, is it possible to pick up US TV in Ire/Eng? what would be needed?

no it's not possible to pickup the American networks / satellites from the uk and Ireland

pooface
13-04-11, 09:05

OK, taking snr from random channels on the above sats, I get:

1w: Canal+ Film HD - 82%
4.8e: TV1000 HD - 63%
9e: Kinopokaz HD - 85%
13e: Polsat Play - 83%
16e: Unable to test atm, as satellites.xml seems to be messed up :confused: Since I'm remoting to get this, I can't check out...
19.2e: Tiji - 80%
20e: I haven't scanned in, so dunno...
23.5e: Sport1 HD - 91%
26e: Only a few packages receiveable, namely the JMC package - 43%
28.2e: Comedy Central HD - 81%
30.5e: Don't have this satellite scanned in either, sorry...

punisher
13-04-11, 09:29
Thats awsome mate looks like i can just about make do with 85cm. The others were arabsat ones but i was told you need a 1m+ dish for that but thanks for testing that fir me mate

pooface
13-04-11, 09:36
Thats awsome mate looks like i can just about make do with 85cm. The others were arabsat ones but i was told you need a 1m+ dish for that but thanks for testing that fir me mate

Yeah, most arabsat, you need 1.4+ iirc... Like on 7w, you can only get vertical (or is it horizontal, can't remember) during daytime with a 1.4m dish ... for best reception, a 2.4m dish is recommended, lol

punisher
13-04-11, 09:44
Lmao i think imma pass. The mrs jus gna have to sit tight and jus forget about it unless she gna let land a 2.4m spaceship inthe back garden lol

sonnetpete
13-04-11, 10:54
For Nilesat at 7°W, it's the verticals which are easier to pick up. Here, (although I'm quite a bit further south than the UK) on a 1.2M dish I can catch all the verticals 24/7 and most of the horizontals. After dark more horizontals become available. I get nothing from AB4 or Nilesat 201 however.

punisher
13-04-11, 18:47
Yeh ill think ill be sticking to 85cm lol thats more than sufficient enough for me for what i want

Larry-G
13-04-11, 20:09
as promised a few pics of my dish / motor. truthfully i cant remember if it's 80 or 85 cm's and as for the make of the dish / motor god only knows as it's been up nearly ten years. although i will say this. in those ten years since i put them up iv'e only needed to replace the coax twice and the dish is rock solid as ever.
also included a pic of my 50" lg telly but i couldnt get a good to scale pic ( took them with my phone while getting ready for work ) so i took one with my parrots beside too for scale purposes.

pooface
13-04-11, 21:52
as promised a few pics of my dish / motor. truthfully i cant remember if it's 80 or 85 cm's and as for the make of the dish / motor god only knows as it's been up nearly ten years. although i will say this. in those ten years since i put them up iv'e only needed to replace the coax twice and the dish is rock solid as ever.
also included a pic of my 50" lg telly but i couldnt get a good to scale pic ( took them with my phone while getting ready for work ) so i took one with my parrots beside too for scale purposes.

lmao. Nice setup, but ... can tell you work in security with that camera there. One question, is that to ensure no-one nicks your sat dish? As it's set just at the point of entry for someone coming up a ladder :p

basilyoung
13-04-11, 21:57
lmao. Nice setup, but ... can tell you work in security with that camera there. One question, is that to ensure no-one nicks your sat dish? As it's set just at the point of entry for someone coming up a ladder :p

erm....it might be a bit more than a Camara :eek:

pooface
13-04-11, 22:09
erm....it might be a bit more than a Camara :eek:

lol, nah, no shotgun underneath it. Plus, I don't think it'd be like in homefront where it has a machine gun ... as phoenix is much more a shotgun man :p

Larry-G
13-04-11, 22:19

nahh, it's just one of a system of four cameras covering the garden and driveway.
but to be honest i dont think any one would be daft enough to try any thing, considering it's well known the last one who tried ended up with a bowie knife to his throat and a lock knife to his nuts.

pooface
13-04-11, 22:26
nahh, it's just one of a system of four cameras covering the garden and driveway.
but to be honest i dont think any one would be daft enough to try any thing, considering it's well known the last one who tried ended up with a bowie knife to his throat and a lock knife to his nuts.

lmao ... you crack me up, but I'm so glad that I ain't getting on the wrong side you :D (altho silver needs to worry I think :p)

pooface
14-04-11, 09:20
Punisher, just to update... I updated my settings yesterday, and got 16e working ... 67% snr...

punisher
14-04-11, 11:21
Punisher, just to update... I updated my settings yesterday, and got 16e working ... 67% snr...

Youve convinced me pooface im goin with the 85cm one. Now to see if i can get a bargain lol thanks for that mate

pooface
14-04-11, 13:00
No prob... It is a great dish, and sure u won't be disappointed... Have heard some people say the orbital dish is quite good, but haven't ever used one, so can't say. Another good dish I've heard about is the one that's a weird shape (can't remember the name off top of head tho :p). But they're quite rare dishes...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

punisher
14-04-11, 19:36
yeh i am kinda torn between the 2 but want alumiunium ones and not the steel ones. but ill have a good think and then go for it. ill let ya's know what i end up with and show the pictures :p

pooface
14-04-11, 20:06
yeh i am kinda torn between the 2 but want alumiunium ones and not the steel ones. but ill have a good think and then go for it. ill let ya's know what i end up with and show the pictures :p

Main reason I went for alu ... it's lighter. Lighter, less strain on the wall...

punisher
14-04-11, 20:26
yeh thats exactly why i want to go for, gotta pay slightly more for aluminium but it'll be worth it in the long run

blueboy81
01-05-11, 15:55
Was thinking of getting one of the maximum e-85 or t-85 multifocus dishes from germany. Just want to be able to to get 28.2e, 19.2e, 13e and 0.8w, will this do the job or will i struggle with signal problems on 0.8w?. googled this dish but not much on anyone who's fitted them in england so i'm a bit in the dark. i know you can get a wave toroidal t90 but i'm not too keen on the size of it on me wall. Also this maximum dish is fairly cheap at 60 quid.

banie01
13-01-12, 17:21
Well I thought I'd best update this thread on my current set as barring a new dish and 10/1 switches I've hit my limit on my TD88...
til summer arrives anyway:D

I was experimenting with an adjustable aluminium multi lnb setup that whilst allowing great adjustment and signal peaking....
Was a total PITA in wind:(
Needed constant readjusting unlike my rock solid Triax multiblock.

So I've reverted to the multiblock and with some time
I now have 7lnbs set up on it receiving 4.8',9/10', 13', 16', 19.2', 23.5', and 28.2.:cool:

I was having an issue with 23.5 where i wasn't receiving Sat BG and a few other TPs but after modding an lnb holder to sit @4mm higher on the bar(extra height while keeping the slope for the rest) and swapping for a narrow lnb at that position I'm now receiving @394 services from that bird I'm even outperforming a mates 1mtr motor there at the mo.

I've included pics of the(very simple)Mod I made to the LNB holder for the height gain on 23.5 too.

All told I'm pulling in over 6200 individual services with the added benefit of no waiting for the motor to swing and MultiSat PVR :)